SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    From this distant vantage point the earth might not seem of any particular interest...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From this distant vantage point the earth might not seem of any particular interest... Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
In this current age of rampant division and strife, this is a welcome message and thoughtful perspective. It stands in stark contrast to the never-ending, mindless garbage that is spewed by the pols, the media and it's parade of breathtakingly moronic and misguided talking heads, and social media, as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F2NeH_-f34

Good and hopeful thoughts and wishes to all for 2020! Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmanic,

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. Thank you. Kind of puts it all in perspective doesn’t it.

Posts: 4130 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
"Momentary master of a fraction, of a dot".

The space and scale argument was the main point, and our place in it all. But what impacts me the most is the temporality of everything. That's the truth that people so often fail to grasp.

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Heard the Carl Sagan speech live, thought it was dorky then.

Starting to make better sense now, though he was still a dork when he said it. Cool

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14146 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Nice video. Already stole a quote for my sig line.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8272 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Posts: 2896 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Distance on the galactic scale is more than most people can wrap their head around. A star 65 million light years away appears to our eye to be in the present but is in actuality how it appears 65 million years ago because of the amount of time the light hitting our eyes took to get here. An alien species that could make out our tiny star at the same distance would be seeing its light at the time the dinosaurs were gasping their last breaths.

Stars we see in the night sky could have died millions of years ago. We really are just a tiny little dot in a vast void.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15790 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Gives you a different perspective, looking back at your world from 4 billion miles out....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
"Momentary master of a fraction, of a dot".

The space and scale argument was the main point, and our place in it all. But what impacts me the most is the temporality of everything. That's the truth that people so often fail to grasp.

Yup, we're all just passing through.

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
how do we know that all the stars we see at night are nothing more then holes in a can so we can breath?

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Remember, when you throw something away, that in reality there is no 'away'...........

Posts: 11435 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Heard the Carl Sagan speech live, thought it was dorky then.

Starting to make better sense now, though he was still a dork when he said it. Cool

He may have been one of the great minds of the 20th century, but he creased me up whenever he said 'cose-mose'.

Posts: 11435 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always thought it fascinating how little of nature we can survive in without special gear. Go too high, no air, and a lot of radiation. Go too deep, like a cave, very little air. Too deep in water, get crushed.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Distance on the galactic scale is more than most people can wrap their head around. A star 65 million light years away appears to our eye to be in the present but is in actuality how it appears 65 million years ago because of the amount of time the light hitting our eyes took to get here. An alien species that could make out our tiny star at the same distance would be seeing its light at the time the dinosaurs were gasping their last breaths.

Stars we see in the night sky could have died millions of years ago. We really are just a tiny little dot in a vast void.

The vast void may not be as void as one might imagine. Vast yes, void no. I don't understand it really but when you read about mass and force particles and the unknowns of the content of interstellar space and that the math doesn't add up as it's curretly understood, the interstellar voids may not be very empty at all.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8917 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Yes, reminds me of RH's last line in Blade Runner..

It's all like tears washed away in the rain....

thanks... One day Humanity as a whole might just get it.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:

The vast void may not be as void as one might imagine. Vast yes, void no. I don't understand it really but when you read about mass and force particles and the unknowns of the content of interstellar space and that the math doesn't add up as it's curretly understood, the interstellar voids may not be very empty at all.

Oh the mass is out there; physics implies it has to be. But if one considers how much actual space is between individual items, from particles to rogue planets in interstellar space, you get an idea of how much of it appears empty. A small example is the asteroid belt- astronomers believe the average distance between objects is about 600,000 miles- about twice the distance to the moon. Not exactly how it appears in illustrations. Interstellar space is far more spread out. I suppose it depends on what one would consider a void.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15790 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
how do we know that all the stars we see at night are nothing more then holes in a can so we can breath?

It's turtles all the way down.

Posts: 1460 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
Everything you need to know about starts is succinctly summed up in that famous novel by James Matthew Barrie.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:

Oh the mass is out there; physics implies it has to be. But if one considers how much actual space is between individual items, from particles to rogue planets in interstellar space, you get an idea of how much of it appears empty. A small example is the asteroid belt- astronomers believe the average distance between objects is about 600,000 miles- about twice the distance to the moon. Not exactly how it appears in illustrations. Interstellar space is far more spread out. I suppose it depends on what one would consider a void.

Agreed. Even we humans are more empty space than anything else. Empty space on an atomic level is as equally staggering as it is in an outer space sense. My favorite example from a professor of mine:

Imagine a single Hydrogen atom. Our simplest Element on the Periodic Table. The single most abundant element in the known Universe. A key component in water, which is what we are primarily made of.

Good ole Hydrogen, with its nucleus, and one lone electron orbiting around it.

Now, imagine the nucleus is the size of a softball and the lone orbiting electron is the size of a baseball...

...and know that the softball and baseball would have to be about a mile and a half apart to accurately model the amount of empty space between everything, even at that level, even in a single Hydrogen atom.

Steel, Titanium, Diamonds, Water, Marble, Granite, the entire USS Nimitz, etc... mostly empty space. Just like space space.

It's wild to say the least.

I don't claim to know how it all started or where it will go, but the ride and views are fantastic.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Distance on the galactic scale is more than most people can wrap their head around. A star 65 million light years away appears to our eye to be in the present but is in actuality how it appears 65 million years ago because of the amount of time the light hitting our eyes took to get here.

Very true! And your example is only a tiny fraction of the scale. Newest estimates put the "observable universe" at around 93 billion light years, with the "actual" size being many, many times that, perhaps 251 times that amount. But, even if you use 93 billion, the time it would take for a two-way conversation using radio signals that travel at the speed of light would be 186 billion years. A little hard to comprehend. It's easier to think about who will win the Super Bowl or whether Jennifer Lopez might have a wardrobe malfunction at halftime. Big Grin