SIGforum
LGS-9MM, .223/.556, Shotguns, Glocks & the supply chain

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3430009274

July 29, 2020, 09:24 PM
2PAK
LGS-9MM, .223/.556, Shotguns, Glocks & the supply chain
Stopped in the LGS two weeks ago. 9mm Ammo continued to be non existent. You can get .40 and .38 and some other calibers but no 9mm. .223/.556, forget it. Did a quick scan of the walls. Shotguns almost gone but there were a few AR's. A look through the display cases, a few suppressors, FN pistols, and to my surprise, two new Glock 43X's. I purchased one of the 43X's. Went back this week to pick it up and 9mm continues to be non existent.

I'd like to be able to restock what i shoot without going into my stack but that seems to be unavoidable. I may sit out matches until we get through November. 'Ammoseek' doesn't appear much better. Either the supply chain cant keep up with the panic demand or something else is going on apart from the usual suspects..
July 29, 2020, 09:38 PM
jimmy123x
As everyone says .40 cal is going out of favor. In times like this, I'm glad that I have ONE. Every previous ammo shortage, it seemed like .40 was always on the otherwise bare shelves.
July 29, 2020, 09:43 PM
MikeinNC
My USPSA matches have not been held since April...they had a steel match last month and someone tested positive for C19 and sent an email/FB post...next month the ranger is gonna be closed for mining the berm and some work...

So I haven’t been shooting...but I’ve seen in central Texas that ammo is unobtainium...

Fortunately, I have enough 5.56 to sustain a good firefight...and a few thousand of pistol ammo...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
July 29, 2020, 09:55 PM
parabellum
Premium 9x19mm ammunition is available. Some .223/5.56 is available. 38 special ammo is very scarce and .380 is not to be found.

This is a good time to have a self-loading rifle chambered in .308/7.62x51mm because the chuds don't seem to own any of those, and ammunition is available.
July 29, 2020, 10:13 PM
CPD SIG
I picked up 2K of 9mm 124gr ball today.

It’s hit-or-miss from the few places I get my stuff from. When it’s in, order it NOW! Ya wait, it’s gone quick.

Para is right, haven’t had a problem getting 500/1000 of .308/7.62 in premium or ball, and the prices aren’t all that much higher than they were before the BS hit.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy
July 29, 2020, 10:14 PM
RHINOWSO
A good reason to have some 'diversity' in your arsenal. Just like the other gun rushes (Sandy Hook, etc), it oddly becomes cheaper to shoot 308 vs 223. There was a year straight when I only shot my SCAR 17 and bolt action 22LRs.
July 29, 2020, 10:18 PM
limblessbiff
7.62x39 seems to be pretty available around here. .308/7.62x51 is spotty but still around too. Besides that it’s just the expensive hunting calibers for bolt guns
July 29, 2020, 10:28 PM
RHINOWSO
Also a good time to have a 45ACP, ammo is still available and not inflated much.
July 30, 2020, 12:57 AM
sjtill
Hmmm...no FAL, but do have my late father-in-law’s civilian BAR in .308. Prefer my Tikka Stainless Lite though.

July 30, 2020, 01:19 AM
P220 Smudge
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This is a good time to have a self-loading rifle chambered in .308/7.62x51mm because the chuds don't seem to own any of those, and ammunition is available.

This is good to know. I hadn't even thought to look for .308.

July 30, 2020, 03:45 AM
cjevans
... chuds.

Snortle.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.
July 30, 2020, 08:27 AM
Krazeehorse
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Premium 9x19mm ammunition is available. Some .223/5.56 is available. 38 special ammo is very scarce and .380 is not to be found.

My PSA AR10 just arrived last Friday. Hope to get it sighted in this weekend.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.
July 30, 2020, 09:12 AM
wxdave
At my local Bass Pro, for example, .308 is widely available. I'm glad to have my M&P10 with plenty of ammo for it, and the ability to get more.

6.5 Creedmor is also plentiful, as are other rifle cartridges. I'm thinking about building a 6.5 CM rifle with the AR10 upper I have sitting on the shelf.

At our local Academy stores, ammo for the common calibers is very scarce, and goes fast when they get it in. I have been buying Monarch 7.62x39 steel-cased HP for $5.99 a box. 'caliber diversity' is key during these times.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wxdave,

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God
July 30, 2020, 09:15 AM
oddball
My gun club has FMJ 9mm ammo- one box limit, and only for shooters at the range. There are days that they will only sell a box to those who rent their guns. All of my other LGS sources have zero 9mm.

Got my Dillon out of the attic a couple of months ago and it is set for 9mm, and I have been cranking them out since I'm set for components of that caliber. I have been laying off my cases of factory 9mm and just shooting reloads. I have shot .38 special, .45acp, and 5.56 once a month, but for now, it is pretty much 9mm and .22LR Yesterday, I shot only .22LR, nothing else.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
July 30, 2020, 11:54 AM
Jeff Yarchin
Time to dust off the Dillon. Crazy times.
July 30, 2020, 01:02 PM
Expert308
After the post-Newtown panic subsided I made a point to start laying in ammo stocks. I have several cases of 9mm, .22LR, M193 and M855 now and I'm only shooting maybe a couple hundred rounds a week, so I'm not worried too much. Always on the lookout to bump that up some more though. I would like to find some more .45ACP range ammo though, I'm almost down to shooting reloads there. I just sold my FAL so I've got a pile of 7.62x51 ball and FAL magazines I need to offload.
July 30, 2020, 03:57 PM
SigLaw
I just bought a case (1,000) of 9mm from Bass Pro for $212, delivered. Arrived today, less than a week after I placed the order. You have to be diligent in checking the internet and buy when in stock.

July 30, 2020, 04:45 PM
dewhorse
As someone mentioned there's a lit of 6.5CM on the shelves. Also happened up a couple hundred 5.56 at Academy a week ago.

Don't want to go into my stash for range trips but might have to as the Misses needs to go to the range.
July 30, 2020, 06:45 PM
rat2306
It's been a few weeks since I last looked, but along with .308 on hand there was plenty of .30-06 and a fair amount of .303.
July 30, 2020, 06:50 PM
1s1k
I recently sold 2000 rounds and have enough for 4 more pandemics. I'm not sure how people can be short these days unless you live at the range.