SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Orange Chicken
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Orange Chicken Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted
Mmmmmmmmmmm.....

Made it last night for dinner. I'm just now finishing up the leftovers for lunch, and realized I never posted about it.

This is, quite honestly, the BEST orange chicken I've ever had.

Recipe:
Combine 4 egg whites and 2 tbs corn starch in a bowl, beat into a froth (about 1 minute with a whisk)
dash of salt & pepper

2 B/S chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces

Throw the chicken pieces into the egg white mixture and allow to sit 10-15 minutes

Rice:
I used jasmine rice, we prefer the nutty flavor of it. Quite frankly, all these rice cookers and assorted nonsense are just that - nonsense. There is NO easier thing to cook than rice.

1 cup jasmine rice
1.5 cups water
dash of salt

Bring to a boil on the stove, then kill the heat and put on a lid. In ~15-20 minutes, your rice will be perfectly cooked. Fluff it with a fork, if any liquid remains in the bottom, clamp the lid back on, you weren't patient enough. If you want more rice, the ratio of rice:water is NOT linear. 2 cups of rice requires 2.75 cups of water. Cooking is the same.

Sauce:
1 cup orange juice
about 1 tbs orange zest
nice heavy pour of soy sauce (around 2 tbs)
nice heavy pour of rice vinegar (around 2 tbs)
about 3-4 tbs of brown sugar
about 1" of grated fresh ginger
4 large garlic cloves, grated or minced
crushed red pepper to taste (I used perhaps a teaspoon full? Dunno. Quite a bit)
1 teaspoon of sesame oil
a bit of salt & fresh cracked black pepper

in a separate cup, mix 2 tbs cold water and 2 tbs corn starch until all the lumps are gone. Pour into the above mixture. Heat the whole thing on the stove until sauce thickens. Don't overcook, it will continue to thicken as it cools.

Fry the chicken however you choose. I've used a large skillet with 2" of oil in the bottom, last night I used a deep fryer, doesn't matter. Fry it for 2 minutes, then flip it and fry it for 2 more to ensure even browning. Make sure to put the pieces into the oil individually, or you will have a giant clump of chicken all fried together. The "batter" sets very quickly in the oil! Remove & drain. In my deep fryer, it took 4 batches to cook all the chicken. Once all the chicken has been cooked & drained, split it into 2 batches, then put each of those batches back into the fryer again for about 90 seconds. This really sets the crust. Drain & serve.

Enjoy!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: exx1976,

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds fantastic, I'll give it a go! By 1" of ginger, do you mean a 1" long section of root?

Posts: 1709 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
Sounds fantastic, I'll give it a go! By 1" of ginger, do you mean a 1" long section of root?

correct

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Oh man your recipes always get me! Any photos?

Posts: 5077 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Oh man your recipes always get me! Any photos?

Unfortunately, no. We were starving yesterday evening, so the thought hadn't occurred, and then lunch today I just heated it in the microwave and mixed it all together. It wasn't pretty, but it sure was tasty!

Yesterday evening was a bit more presentable. Even had some green onion tossed on top for a bit of color.

posted Hide Post
When I moved to china I was pretty dissapointed when I found out there isn't any orange chicken here.

I love that stuff.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Sounds great. I am saving this.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53130 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I've been toying with the idea of attempting to bypass the local Chinese joints (all horrible) for my fix by attempting at home. This seems like a fantastic place to begin. Thanks for sharing the goods, as always. Smile

Posts: 17286 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Is it ok to use peanut oil to fry the chicken chunks? I'm a little low on evoo, not sure that's what this dish wants, anyway?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5374 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Is it ok to use peanut oil to fry the chicken chunks? I'm a little low on evoo, not sure that's what this dish wants, anyway?

In the frypan last time, IIRC, I used vegetable oil.

My deep fryer is peanut oil.

I couldn't recall a difference between the two. The sauce is what made it so perfect this time - last time I had too much sugar and not enough red pepper flakes.

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

In the frypan last time, IIRC, I used vegetable oil.

My deep fryer is peanut oil.

I couldn't recall a difference between the two. The sauce is what made it so perfect this time - last time I had too much sugar and not enough red pepper flakes.

Good to know. Thank you!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5374 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
That sounds great. I love orange chicken and will save this recipe! Thanks for posting it.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10505 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Should not orange chicken be called Trump chicken?

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31433 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post