SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about some older Mac Pro models
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about some older Mac Pro models Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
I am interested in buying a used MAC to help me use a program called Lifeflix to convert a collection of miniDV and HDV tapes to MP4. I understand this can be done with other programs (iMovie, Final Cut Pro X, etc.), but Lifeflix is compatible with my miniDV deck, while iMovie can have issues.

According to this review, Lifeflix can be processor intensive.

https://www.macworld.com/artic...lifeflix-review.html

I am wondering how capable a Mac Pro 3.1 would be vs as 4.1 or 5.1.

If I can use the Mac Pro to convert the tapes to a shared Iosafe 218 (Synology 218+), I can access the files from my other (more modern) Windows-based computers.

There are a few local options:

Mac Pro 3.1:
https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/53246908

Mac Pro 4.1 upgraded to 5.1:
https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/53198814

Will either of these Mac Pros work with a Lenovo monitor?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
I suggest the Mac Pro 4.1 that has been upgraded to 5.1

Couple of advantages:
Faster system bus & memory bus speed. Which will make a difference in processor intensive apps.
More RAM (32 GB vs 8GB)

The video card outputs will determine monitor compatibility. Mac OS has calibration software built in.

I'd suggest replacing one of the hard drives with an SSD or OWC Accelsior S SATA SSD Host Adapter w/ an SSD. OWC Accelsior S

Adding a USB 3.0/3.1 PCI card will useful also.

Also you may want to check out DaVinci Resolve which has a free version. It's also available through the App Store.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:
I suggest the Mac Pro 4.1 that has been upgraded to 5.1

Couple of advantages:
Faster system bus & memory bus speed. Which will make a difference in processor intensive apps.
More RAM (32 GB vs 8GB)

The video card outputs will determine monitor compatibility. Mac OS has calibration software built in.

I'd suggest replacing one of the hard drives with an SSD or OWC Accelsior S SATA SSD Host Adapter w/ an SSD. OWC Accelsior S

Adding a USB 3.0/3.1 PCI card will useful also.

Also you may want to check out DaVinci Resolve which has a free version. It's also available through the App Store.

Not being familiar with Macs, I'm wondering whether or not 6 or 8 cores will make a difference for what I'm trying to do. In that case, perhaps a Mac Mini or a Macbook Pro might work. I could also use an iMac, without the Retina screen. If anyone has an opinion or a recommendation on which model might would be the best value for performance for this, I welcome your opinion.

I've been told about 2012 Apple stopped supporting firewire. There are workarounds for that, but I want to keep things as simple as possible.

I'm looking for the most cost-efficient way to accomplish this without getting too heavily into a computer I am not likely to use for much else.

I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
The number of cores only makes a difference if the application software is written to take advantage of multiple cores. Otherwise clock speed is a better indicator of performance.

Apple just released a new Mac Mini. I can't recommend it at all. The base model is overpriced with minimal processor, RAM, & SSD. The RAM is upgradeable but essentially requires disassembling the computer.

The 2014 Mini is the most affordable but avoid the base model. Ata minimum get the 2.6 GHz i5 model. These are not upgradable in any form.

The 2012 Mac Mini models are still available, but when found are more expensive than the 2014s. They are more upgradable.

I am unfamiliar with the non 4K/5K iMacs.

For Macs with a Thunderbolt port you would need a Thunderbolt to Firewire cable.

Hope this helps.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:
The number of cores only makes a difference if the application software is written to take advantage of multiple cores. Otherwise clock speed is a better indicator of performance.

Apple just released a new Mac Mini. I can't recommend it at all. The base model is overpriced with minimal processor, RAM, & SSD. The RAM is upgradeable but essentially requires disassembling the computer.

The 2014 Mini is the most affordable but avoid the base model. Ata minimum get the 2.6 GHz i5 model. These are not upgradable in any form.

The 2012 Mac Mini models are still available, but when found are more expensive than the 2014s. They are more upgradable.

I am unfamiliar with the non 4K/5K iMacs.

For Macs with a Thunderbolt port you would need a Thunderbolt to Firewire cable.

Hope this helps.

This is very helpful. I had hoped the older Mac Minis would come down in price with the advent of the 2018's, but the opposite seems to have occurred. At the same time, the 2015 4K/5K iMacs seem to have come down in price. I don't know why I would want to spend $450 or $500+ on a 2012 or 2014 Mini with 8 GB of RAM when locally I can buy a late 2015 iMac 27" 5K 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 with 8 GB of RAM for $900, $1000 if I want 24 GB of RAM. Those would seem to me a better value.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The video out will be either display port and/or DVI, so any monitor will work with the correct cabeling.

Apple still supports FireWire in the OS, but through the Thunderbolt ports, as previously stated. Whatever you get, drop me a note when you’re finished with it. I wouldn’t mind a knock-about system to replace my ailing iMac. I believe I’m local to you in Spanish Fork.

If you want to try it on a mini, I can loan you one of mine. I have a 2011 and a 2012. Would save you from buying one. Both are dual-core i5 machines. Might be too slow, but it’s free to try. Or I have a 2012 MPB I’m not using that you can borrow.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
The video out will be either display port and/or DVI, so any monitor will work with the correct cabeling.

Apple still supports FireWire in the OS, but through the Thunderbolt ports, as previously stated. Whatever you get, drop me a note when you’re finished with it. I wouldn’t mind a knock-about system to replace my ailing iMac. I believe I’m local to you in Spanish Fork.

If you want to try it on a mini, I can loan you one of mine. I have a 2011 and a 2012. Would save you from buying one. Both are dual-core i5 machines. Might be too slow, but it’s free to try. Or I have a 2012 MPB I’m not using that you can borrow.

This is very kind, thank you. I am leaning toward a newer used iMac at this point. Given my lack of free time, I suspect the project will take a while.

Given the things that sometimes happen around my kids and electronics Big Grin , I'm hesitant to borrow anything, but I sincerely appreciate the offer.

The odd thing is I emailed the software mfg, and the author wrote back and said the minimum requirements are Mac OSX 10.7 or later and Safari 6.0.5. I may try installing it on an iMac 2009 to see if and how it works.