SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Odd Situation In Park Yesterday With My Kids
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd Situation In Park Yesterday With My Kids Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I live in Berks County, PA not too far from Reading, PA

Roughly 45-50 miles give or take from Philadelphia

This area is still pretty "middle of nowhere" compared to other areas which are rapidly getting built up.

It was nice for early March so I took my two boys (6 and 9) to a park a few miles up the road from our home. It's a nice one with two playgrounds one for very young kids and one for older kids, ball fields, a new basketball court and a brand new pickleball court.

We played basketball for a bit then walked up to the playground that is for older children and I let them play for a while. It was pretty busy with lots of kids and parents out for the afternoon.

Here's where it gets a little odd and made me feel a little odd too:

3 brand-new vehicles come in with NY state license plates. Two SUV's and a van.

Out comes about 20 (Mexican?) Hispanic people all speaking Spanish and not a single word of English spoken.

They proceed to take over the basketball court and start playing volleyball with a soccer ball! Like hitting it back and forth over the center court line over an imaginary net. I've been seeing more and more cars around here in the past year or two with NY plates which you never saw before. You'd see the occasional NJ or DE plate but rarely anything else.

I watched them for a bit then gathered up my boys and left. I'm starting to wonder, are they starting to settle illegals in our area now?

Or am I being paranoid here? We've had Hispanic people around for years, most restaurant staff are Hispanic and good hard workers. I'm just not sure about these NY tags on 3 vehicles. Maybe they are starting to move down from NY state into PA? I know that Reading has a very large Hispanic population.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I'm starting to wonder, are they starting to settle illegals in our area now?

Or am I being paranoid here? We've had Hispanic people around for years, most restaurant staff are Hispanic and good hard workers. I'm just not sure about these NY tags on 3 vehicles. Maybe they are starting to move down from NY state into PA? I know that Reading has a very large Hispanic population.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17195 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm starting to wonder, are they starting to settle illegals in our area now?

Q

Posts: 27621 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Either visiting relatives, or new arrivals. Reading and Allentown areas have seen a huge increase of Hispanics from NY and beyond. Cannot say why except to say its lower costs and right down I-78. For years now you could see the changes at French Creek Park (and others) on summer holidays.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2080 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
We're being replaced

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3625 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Maybe they spend their Mayor Adams money on a new ride! Big Grin Frown

Oddly, I find here in NY many of the hispanic folks of dubious immigration status drive cars with PA plates.

Of course the legality of the plates in dubious as well.

Posts: 21378 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Did you pay enough attention to notice if everyone got back in the same vehicle or if they actually swapped vehicles?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
A lot of the NY tagged SUVs are rentals. Every time I ask a driver of them here in Kentucky, I get the same answer, rental. This northern part of the State is loaded with illegals. Many flooding in from Ohio. We aren't supposed to take notice. Newer vehicles, nicely clothed and getting hired at the many warehouses and large employers like Amazon. I hope deportations send them all back, not just those who are criminals.

Posts: 17987 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do the vehicles appear to be the commercial type that a church, outreach center or, social services would utilize?

Is it possible there's a local church that's serving as a mission center...only instead of sending out missionaries, they're receiving them?

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised they weren't playing "futbol".

Posts: 11207 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Texas world. Years ago our “neighbors” took over the neighborhood rec center tennis courts to play volleyball. All the courts had to be locked because the folks who had reserved them for tennis could never play otherwise

Posts: 454 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Democrats ..

Posts: 4272 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
That might have been a work crew enjoying the weather like you were.

I've had several work crews that were mostly Hispanic. On the site they spoke English, among themselves they spoke Spanish. Every nice day after leaving the job site they would load up in their vans and work trucks and head to a park to play soccer for an hour or so before heading back to the hotel to make dinner.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38249 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
@PASig:

I grew up in nearby Lebanon and my sisters still live in Richland. While there's always been a significant Latino population in the area, my sisters report a dramatic shift in the sheer numbers and demographics.

They describe Lebanon as looking like a third world country (with the same type of problems) in many areas and attribute it to the influx of immigrants who don't want to assimilate. They don't even go there if they don't have to.

I'd imagine Reading might even be worse.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5545 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like MelissaDallas said..."Welcome to Texas!!!". When my wife and I moved back to her home town in the mid-70's, the school was 10% Latino... now it's 95%+. Not saying they are all bad people most of them are good hard working folks but it's just the facts of life. A few back always come with the good.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 733 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Of course Eastern PA has been filling up with people from NJ/NY (and ruining it) forever. But it seems they're encouraging it. At lunch when I watch Youtube I'm constantly hit with ads for Bucks County, not sure if it's trying for tourists, people to move there or both. The first time I saw one I was half paying attention and thought I'd heard it wrong. (though I've never paid close enough attention to see if it's the county running the ads or developers.)

Posts: 21378 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
I'm surprised they weren't playing "futbol".

and yelling, "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL" in the background

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes.

The demographics of the customers at the Costco in Upper Macungie (Allentown), PA which opened in Nov. 2016 has significantly changed within the last couple of years.

I shop there ~once a week.

Posts: 3589 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post