SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Blended American Whiskey
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blended American Whiskey Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I assumed all bourbon blended unless stated as "single barrel". Anyway I enjoy Russell's Reserve 10 year, in fact like it better than Russell's Reserve Single Barrel.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7108 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Crown Royal is a blend. The blending keeps taste consistent year after year.

That is my drink of choice.

Posts: 531 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Sauer Kraut:
Michters American Whiskey is about the smoothest I’ve tasted.

Wait. The goal is smooth? I didn't realize that. As for calling Michters good... Well, I've got 3 full unopened bottles of A H Hirsch locked in my gun safe. It was distilled in PA at the site of the distillery, the one that lubricated the Revolutionary war. Last time I did a google search and ended up at Whiskey.com, I saw the prices are now over $2500 a bottle. Hence why its locked away with my only bottle of Pappy. I did drink one bottle in the past, but it took me about 14 years to do that. Then when it was about empty I gave the bottle and that taste to one of my son's friends. He thinks he owes me. I don't really want to change his mind about that...

I would like one of you experts to explain what constitues blending. Its got me all confused. As far as I know, unless its single barrel, its the contents of multiple barrels all dumped together, then filtered and bottled on a line.

The Hirsch was dumped back about 1990, the charcoal filtered out, then stored in a tank for the next year to 24 in big stainless steel tanks in first Ohio, then in Kentucky where it was bottled finally.

Bourbon doesn't need to be distilled or aged in Kentucky. Many of us just prefer it that way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rburg,

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
are we talking about the legal definition of "blended whiskey" which allows for neutral grain spirits and flavored colorings?

or are we talking about a product that takes multiple barrels of straight bourbon and blends them to create a consistently flavored end product?

most straight bourbon products are still blended in the latter method, unless they specifically say single barrel.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10492 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
The only blend in my liquor cabinet right now is Monkey Shoulder scotch.

Very smooth and drinkable neat, easily mixed if you're into that sort of thing, and quite affordable at about $30 a bottle in MI

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
are we talking about the legal definition of "blended whiskey" which allows for neutral grain spirits and flavored colorings?

or are we talking about a product that takes multiple barrels of straight bourbon and blends them to create a consistently flavored end product?

most straight bourbon products are still blended in the latter method, unless they specifically say single barrel.

The latter method is how the macro beer breweries do it. Multiple fermenters blended together. I can't imagine (ok, maybe I can) coordinating this method through evaluation. They say your palate is freshest in the morning. What a way to start your day.

Posts: 7366 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The folks in the distillery that taste the barrels and decide what goes with what, and how much, are very important, and high paid, people. They guarantee that each batch tastes the same once it is bottled and shipped. Not just everyone has these skills.

This is why single batch bourbons may well not taste the same from bottle to bottle.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I like a great many whiskeys that are blended from various barrels in order to maintain a specific flavor profile. I am not a fan of blends where neutral grain spirits are added for the most part.

As far as blended Scotch goes, I miss the old Johnnie Walker Green Label. It was a blend made up of some fairly decent single malts.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry but Seagrams 7 is garbage. It is 80 percent neutral grain spirits (i.e. vodka) and only 20 percent whiskey. That is comparable to the swill like Aristocrat and Kentucky Gentleman but double the price. Seagrams was popular back in the 60s and 70s before straight bourbon whiskey became the standard. It lives on because people have heard of the Seven and 7 and assume it is a good brand.

People are confused about what blended means. Blended Scotch is all whiskey but American blended whiskey is a mix of neutral grain spirits and whiskey. As low as only 20 percent whiskey.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fundman,

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post