SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bartering is alive and well along the coast for seafood
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bartering is alive and well along the coast for seafood Login/Join 
Picture of SIGfourme
posted
Since the restaurants have closed- the fisherman can't bring their catch to market. Lobster--$8 for 1.24 lb, scallops-$12/lb, pollack--$6/lb
The grocery stores are being hit hard by a HUGE influx of summer residents (NY and NJ).
Fresh seafood in the house. Money in the fisherman's pocket.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Where do I find this deal?? Fresh scallops sounds good to me

Posts: 3120 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Money in the fisherman's pocket.

They deserve it!

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8528 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
Where do I find this deal??

Probably at the dock.

Tuna boats in California were selling direct to consumers at the dock. The retail restaurant market had collapsed.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13404 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Cash only, no credit cards folks. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Who's got the jumbo skrimps for cheap?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Wish they would pack and ship!

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll be that guy...

If you're trading toilet paper (or anything else that isn't money) for lobster, you're bartering. If you're trading money for lobster, you're just buying it.

Having gotten the nitpicky comment out of the way... I really want to drive down to the beach and buy a cooler full of blue crabs now.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Great. I wish I could buy some too. Here in Michigan the steak joints are selling their inventory of meat. Probably before they have to trash it. Strip steaks at $12 and Fil Mignon for $15 or so. About retail price. On the other hand, the food stores don’t have much meat on the shelves, so we shall see.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will take a couple pounds of scallops myself. It is a sad time for people,between job losses and the disease of course but hopefully it will get better soon.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post