SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody recommend some decent tires
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody recommend some decent tires Login/Join 
posted
I have a 2wd s10. I need new tires before the winter sets in as mine are shot. The two brands I've bought in the past are no longer offered in a size to fit. Continental conti-trac SUV and American prospector Suv I believe were made by Cooper.
10-12k mostly interstate (50-60mph) a year. Decent snow and wet performance would be nice. I have a set of hankook optimo passenger tires (cheap) currently that I am less than pleased with. 215/75-15. I would assume I'm looking for an SUV or all season tire based on past purchases. Like to be under $500 otd.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2741 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Michelin LTX M/S2. Won't make your price point, but they are what you want.

Not sure anything but retreads will make a $500 price point nowadays.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

LTX not available in that size, at least on tirerack.
Kumho Solus TA11 is what I have on my Midget, but not enough miles on it to recommend them, yet.

Falken Wildpeak AT Trail also fit your budget, just a bit over.

Check SimpleTire for a comparison on price once you find the tire you want. They undercut Discount & TireRack when I was shopping tires for the Midget.
Got 5x 13in tires for under $400

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Kuhmo Road Venture AT51's treated me well for a lower-priced tire when I had my F150... Well enough I bought another set after the first ones wore out. They have the 3PMS Severe Winter Rating as well so they should be pretty decent in adverse weather. They wore fine down here in the hot California central valley despite the severe weather rating. $98 each in that size at SimpleTire

https://simpletire.com/brands/...&productPos=1&rad=DD

Posts: 6367 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I have these on my Subaru Outback and know a few folks that have them on a F150 trucks. https://www.tirerack.com/tires...lse&fromCompare1=yes

Might be close enough to your range and they make your size.

One winter and about 15,000 miles. They’ve been a good tire. Quiet, seem durable and good traction on gravel etc., and let me get into winter more solidly before the studs go on.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Go to www.tirerack.com. Put in your year make and model and it will pull up every available tire for your vehicle.

There will be tons of reviews and consumer ratings. A great resource.

Posts: 3724 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Go to costco and talk with them. Better yet go to their website and see what is available. Do not rule out Firestone. Good luck.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
215/75-15.
That’s a trailer tire. Are you sure about the size? I don’t see that an S10 ever came with tires that size. 205/75r15 or 215/65r15 seem to be what the 2wd S10s came with.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Consider a set of winter tires.

1) you’ll feel better and get all of the good out of your summer tires. That might be 15,000 more miles, and having those winter tires means maybe 3 more years.

2) a 2wd truck needs all the help it can get in the winter. Winter tires shine brightly at hwy speeds as well as slow. Turning and stopping is far superior, think slowing and turning into a driveway, the front end won’t push as easily.

If the former case is true, you’ll have traction summer and winter for the next 4-5 years, by purchasing only one set of tires.

Ask anyone who has made the leap, they will be evangelists too. My Altima was every bit as good as my Expedition in less than 5” of snow, better by a wide margin on ice.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

This, BUT I put Goodyears on my previous expedition 10k miles before I sold it, they were half the price and was pretty impressed with them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
215/75-15.
That’s a trailer tire. Are you sure about the size? I don’t see that an S10 ever came with tires that size. 205/75r15 or 215/65r15 seem to be what the 2wd S10s came with.

THIS right here! The 2WD S10 usually came w/ a highway tire, and in these small sizes (by modern standards anyway) tire selection seems to be limited. Maybe post the year/trim level of your S10, which would at least determine the size(s) that be appropriate for your factory rims assuming that's what is currently on your truck. You'll definitely get the most appropriate tire recommendations that way. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
We recently put a set of Kumho Solus TA11 SL in 225/60R-17 on an Outback. Only a few miles on them so far, but they seem pretty solid for an economy tire. I've had Kumho's on a different vehicle in the past, and have been happy with them.

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Time to buy a new truck. No 15" tires listed in the big box stores. Looks like the 15" tire is extinct. May find 16" rims in the junk yard to allow a 16" tire in 2023.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I was going to recommend the Michelin cross climate two. However, it looks like those don’t come in 15.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
That’s a strange tire and wheel. I used to have an old girlfriend who drive some kind of small Chevy suv/car. Only tire in town I could find was Firestone…at the dealership…figure that!?

Have you checked Simpletire?

They have 77 tires in that size with reviews an ratings. Here you go…

https://simpletire.com/tire-sizes/215-75r15

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Common tire sizes for several years of S10's are 215/75/15 or 235/75/15 so you could go up a little in width on the same rims.

Hankook Kingergy ST in 235/75/15 on Tire Rack is $110 per tire, and might fit easily on your rims, apparently the trim level dictated the tire option.

The same tire in 215/75/15 is $103.99 and in stock at Tire Rack.

Link 235

Link 215

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
That’s a strange tire and wheel.

Not then.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Last time I bought tires I looked online at the offerings of Tire Rack and Discount Tire. When I settled on a set of tires I saw the price at DT was within a few dollars of TR. There's a DT just a few miles from my house that I have always received excellent service from so I went with them. Later I found out that they will match TR's price, so I could have saved a few bucks.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2084 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, unfortunate side effect of a 20+ year old vehicle is uncommon tire sizes vs modern market with everything running 17+ inch wheels.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'll be spending some time online tonight.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2741 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
The 215/75-15 is an odd tire size in the 75 part. You might find more selection going to a 225/70-15.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post