SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is this part called ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is this part called ? Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
This is the drain plug assy. from one of those Pond Prowler two man plastic pontoon boats. The part in question is the one in the middle of the picture. It's a very flexible seal that seems to be made of silicon or something similar. Google doesn't do me any good if I don't know what I'm looking for Razz

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Thats the Jesus washer. When it fails "Jesus, we're sinking!"

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
It looks like it was 100% clear silicone that was applied when everything was clean.
Just clean everything up again and re-apply silicon. Tighten up and wipe off excess.

Posts: 18040 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Looks similar in size and shape to a bathtub drain. Plumbers putty for a repair? What do I know, never owned a pontoon boat.

Posts: 5764 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
gasket ?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Round silicone gasket.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6219 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
It looks like it was 100% clear silicone that was applied when everything was clean.
Just clean everything up again and re-apply silicon. Tighten up and wipe off excess.

I think you hit the nail on the head. After looking closer, that's about the only way to explain the distinct thread marks on the inside. I hadn't even thought in that direction.

Thanks

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Looks like a signal the plug was slightly undersized for the hole....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its a bulkhead fitting and they do use gaskets. You can probably find them at your local hardware or big box store.

Posts: 239 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: October 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
That's the same type bulkhead fitting also used for bilge pumps and overboard discharges in boats. You might find what you need at West Marine or similar.

Heavier versions on larger/commercial boats usually are brass/bronze/stainless.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I believe that is a non-reversible tremmie pipe

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37984 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
When I looked at the picture, it looked like the part of the pool filter that goes through swimming pool liner.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:

I think you hit the nail on the head. After looking closer, that's about the only way to explain the distinct thread marks on the inside. I hadn't even thought in that direction.

Thanks

Yep, that's my take!

You can use 3M 4200 Marine sealant if you want whatever you attach removable in the future or 5200 if the fitting is NEVER to be removed. Usually find it at a WalMart, Cabela's, Autozone, local boat store, etc or any place that has marine products. The 4200 is far better than your run of the mill household clear sealant.

I also agree based on the size of the silicone "plug" that somebody was just filling space with the silicone. May be better off looking for a better part for a more correct solution. West marine may be a good source as would www.Defender.com

If you Google "pond prowler drain plug" lot's of options come up.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Maybe a gasket and seal that has taken the shape of the threads over the years and not silicone caulk?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

I also agree based on the size of the silicone "plug" that somebody was just filling space with the silicone. May be better off looking for a better part for a more correct solution. West marine may be a good source as would www.Defender.com

This wasn't a "Bubba job", I bought the boat new at BassPro about 3 years ago.

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
quote:

This wasn't a "Bubba job", I bought the boat new at BassPro about 3 years ago.

Really! Well maybe it was a "quality control" solution at the factory. From the pics, it sure looks like Bubba did it.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've never seen one with a clear gasket, usually black rubber.

That's probably Lexel or something similar.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
You can cut a new gasket from a rubber inner tube, or use a good o-ring from the local Auto parts store.

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
From the pics, it sure looks like Bubba did it.

You could be right, seems China has a word for Bubba too. Big Grin

bubba

offensive a white, uneducated man from the southern US

美国南方未受过教育的白种男人

posted Hide Post
quote:
Pond Prowler two man plastic pontoon

As was noted its a thru hull fitting. They do not use gaskets typically but are sealed with some form of sealant. The sealant does two functions it prevents leaks and it prevents water from reaching the boat hull which on some forms of boat construction is cored and water intrusion is a serious issue. In your case if the hull is plastic that's not a serious issue but it needs to be sealed properly. I would never use 4200 or 5200 on such a plastic fitting, they eventually need replacement. As a side note these fittings are really cheap so I wouldn't reuse one either. A good marine grade sealant is what you need but the best ones are not suitable for plastics (or at least have to be tested about it). So likely I'd use some form of silicon based product, I normally would use 3M marine grade silicon, but there are a lot of similar products.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11007 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post