New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mars in 4K Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
Interesting, if not terribly exciting, video composites from the Mars rovers.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chicago. I’m going to have to fire this up on the tv or my blu ray player. I forget which does YouTube in 4k native. I never use the apps. But I have to see this in 4k.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I watched it the other day. Remarkable images, although I can just hear the giggling 25 years in the future, when he talks about the images being in "stunning 4K". That'll be like us watching 320x240 stuff today.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
The bluish-green rock and dust, I wonder if that is copper ore?

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
wow

thanks for posting!

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I need to watch this in order to enhance my reading of Kim Stanley Robinson’s Red Mars, recommended by NHTagmember.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Quite impressive.. but about half way through the narrator explained that the pictures have been 'colorized' to help geologist define different rocks and such....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yeah, I watched it the other day. Remarkable images, although I can just hear the giggling 25 years in the future, when he talks about the images being in "stunning 4K". That'll be like us watching 320x240 stuff today.

By then they'll have figured out the whole quantum be-in-two-places-at-once, instant-communication-over-huge-distance thing and we'll all be wearing "quantum virtual glasses" and seeing it in real time just like we were standing there beside the rover (or whatever the next-generation rover is).

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Quite impressive.. but about half way through the narrator explained that the pictures have been 'colorized' to help geologist define different rocks and such....

Is it transmitting in black and white, or is there an atmospheric issue, etc?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9158 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
No, I think the original pictures are in color but they have been enhanced to get a better distinction between the different substances on the surface.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post