SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Satchel Paige and V-Tail
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Satchel Paige and V-Tail Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
What we have in common: "How old would I be if I didn't know how old I was?"

I was born on the 28th day of Tevet in the year 5697, per the Hebrew calendar. This date happened to fall on January 11, 1937, on the Gregorian calendar.

The Hebrew calendar is a lunisolar calendar, with seven leap years in each nineteen year cycle. A leap year gets an extra month (we Jews don't fool around, no pussyfooting with an extra day every now and again).

As a result of this, dates drift back and forth a bit, between the Hebrew and Gregorian calendars.

This year, 28 Tevet falls on January 25, so if we use the Gregorian calendar, I will be 83 tomorrow, January 11, but if we use the Hebrew calendar, I won't be 83 for another two weeks, so how old will I be, between tomorrow and two weeks from tomorrow? Sort of a no man's land, age-wise.
Side note: Most of the time when I interact with medical personnel who do not know me, they ask my birthdate. Not sure whether they are checking for dementia, verifying who I am, or planning to get me something, but I wonder what would happen if, next time they ask, I reply "28 Tevet 5697." I bet that would get some strange looks, especially if the doctor is not Jewish.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30746 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post

Happy Birthday!!

Posts: 12939 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

I miss my Corgi girl.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30746 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthdays!

Best part is that you get to celebrate for TWO WEEKS!

Posts: 9173 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
A Mazel Deyn Geburstag!

(No hurry. When you should have some time.)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Happy 83rd V-Tail. Who is Satchel Paige ? Big Grin

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Man are you going to have one doozy of a hangover by the time your birthday party is over.

Posts: 12477 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

Man are you going to have one doozy of a hangover by the time your birthday party is over.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?
Famous Quote of his. Black baseball player who was known for his longevity in baseball.

Posts: 17284 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:

Who is Satchel Paige ?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that he was 48 yrs. old his rookie year. So, I guess it really is never too late.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:

I read somewhere that he was 48 yrs. old his rookie year. So, I guess it really is never too late.
Wow! He looks like a teenager in the photo above. Hard to believe that he is at least late 40s.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Two Cakes.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4242 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday V-Tail, which ever day you choose to celebrate.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Happy birthday friend!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10912 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the lesson on the Hebrew calendar...I knew that it differed from the Gregorian calendar but not how it did.

My father was born in the same year and only about 2-3 weeks after you, depending on which calendar we're referencing.

I recently called to wish my first flight instructor and WW II veteran friend a happy 94th birthday a few months ago...so you are still a young buck!

Most of the old timers I know go flying on special occasions like their birthday...do you plan on going flying?

V-Tail, wishing you (and Satchel Paige) the happiest of birthdays sir! Whatever you decide to do to celebrate, I hope the day is even better than you hope for...and wishing you many more to come!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Happy Gregorian Birthday, old fart.

Q

Posts: 26521 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mazel tov!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday, V-Tail!

Mom and Dad usually kept a bottle of Manischewitz in the fridge. Cherry, IIRC. I may or may not have snuck a swallow on occasion as a kid.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15276 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
You lucky son a gun,you get to celebrate it twice

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post