SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's Cold in Florida and I made Stew
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's Cold in Florida and I made Stew Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
I love beef stew, but as an ex-New Englander, it's always been a cold weather dish for me

But today we have windy, low 40s, and heading for below freezing tonight, so it's STEW DAY!

4 pounds of beef, Vidalia onion, potatoes, carrots and diced tomatoes. Did a medium brown roux, and finished it off with beef broth. Couple of more hours, and it will be done. House already smells amazing.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12943 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Cold here in Georgia too. I made a big pot of Brunswick stew yesterday and it was some of the best I've made.

Hamburger Stroganoff tonight. Stew again for the games tomorrow.

I love beef stew, enjoy yours!

Posts: 2556 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks good and the perfect temp. for it.

Posts: 7087 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I’m making some too. I make mine the same and I like to add the very small round pearl onions (frozen bag) and toss in some Barley.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Should be plenty iguanas laying around...

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4373 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
On my way! I'll bring oyster crackers.

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Pretty damn cold here in PA and I could use some of that awesome looking stew. Mom used to make beef stew the first day of Fall/Winter it dropped below freezing.

Nowadays I like Pho Ga more but stew + captains wafers isn't too far behind. Enjoy!

Posts: 3371 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I got paid to make a Brunswick Stew last weekend.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34421 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Mars, your Brunswick Stew is amazing.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12943 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Cold here too! I like to add a little Gravy Master, splash of Worcestershire, and a big splash of Cabernet.
Enjoy!

Posts: 3586 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That does look good. I haven't had homemade beef stew in years.

Posts: 2713 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I do pot roast in the crockpot. My MIL gave me the recipe.
Put meat into crockpot,
Cut up potatoes and carrots and onion
Put a large jar of salsa over it all
Turn on to low and let it run all day

I usually start it around nine.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You poor baby Big Grin

It’s 17° with a windchill of 8° here.

Stew looks great!

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Looks excellent, Art.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I love beef stew, but as an ex-New Englander, it's always been a cold weather dish for me

But today we have windy, low 40s, and heading for below freezing tonight, so it's STEW DAY!

4 pounds of beef, Vidalia onion, potatoes, carrots and diced tomatoes. Did a medium brown roux, and finished it off with beef broth. Couple of more hours, and it will be done. House already smells amazing.

That looks damn good.

Posts: 97 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
That looks delicious.

It hit freezing here about 6 AM. The good news is that it warmed up to 62 by mid afternoon and I got in a quick motorcycle ride.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks delicious. We had a large pot of homemade soup. Perfect for cold weather. Current temperature here, 15 degrees. Wind chili of 0.

Posts: 798 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Dang, that does look good. I might have to pull out the crock pot for the Chiefs game tomorrow. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep on stew here in Florida. We went with homemade hydride Aussie-Irish lamb stew and soda bread last night. Still smells wonderful in the house. Leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch as well.

Posts: 1778 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of beef stew, but am not a cook. Your stew looks scrumptious! Wish I could have some.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post