SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    South Korean TV network apologizes for ‘inappropriate’ coverage of Olympic opening ceremony JAPAN 2020 by:
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

South Korean TV network apologizes for ‘inappropriate’ coverage of Olympic opening ceremony JAPAN 2020 by: Login/Join 
posted
This is really quite hilarious. You wonder if the Babylon Bee crafted this.

TOKYO — Viewers watching the opening ceremony of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics on South Korean TV were treated to a series of confusing and inappropriate imagery, the broadcast network has admitted.

MBC, one of South Korea’s larger networks, is now apologizing for the “inappropriate” photos and captions that flashed across the screen as participants entered the Olympic Stadium on Friday, such as the image of Chernobyl that accompanied the Ukraine team’s entrance, and the photo of civil unrest in Haiti used during the Haitian team’s entrance.

Other confusing choices included pictures of salmon for the Norwegian team, pizza for the Italian team and sushi for the Japanese team. At one point, MBC even displayed a photo of a promotional Bitcoin poster when the El Salvador team was shown on screen, the Agence France-Presse reported.

Some of the captions were equally surprising, with the Marshall Islands being described as a former nuclear test site for the U.S., and Syria’s caption making a reference to the ongoing Syrian Civil War, Reuters reported.

On Saturday, MBC issued a formal apology on its website and social media channels, offering “no excuses” but admitting that production had been rushed.

“We respectfully apologize to all the people and viewers,” reads a translated message posted to MBC’s Facebook page. The statement acknowledged that MBC used “some inappropriate photos” during the countries’ introductions, but the network promised to take follow-up actions so as not to repeat the mistake.

“MBC recognizes the seriousness of this issue that occurred in the Olympic Games … We’ll make sure similar accidents don’t happen again.”

link: https://wgntv.com/japan-2020/s...ic-opening-ceremony/

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course, it's not that any of the references or captions are untrue...

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a programming employee there has a sense of humor that they all could use more of. Sort a digital version of someone that does celebrity roasts at award shows.

The Olympic Games have become a joke of their former self and mostly a major marketing exercise.
Much like the entertainer/actor awards shows, they all seem to think they have much more credibility and relevance than anyone else thinks they do.

Posts: 9505 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds awesome! Makes me want to watch the olympics.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Given that there is no love lost between Koreans and Japanese, some humor is perhaps the best one could hope for.
I wonder how Japan's entry was portrayed?

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The TV equivalent of "reply all".

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Given that there is no love lost between Koreans and Japanese, some humor is perhaps the best one could hope for.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sushi.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Scenes of Japanese soldiers decapitating Korean and Chinese civilians?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry no Rape of Nanking.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
from the original post:

sushi for the Japanese team

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
What did they do for the US?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Anyone else assuming the Korean that did it is already dead?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I think they showed a pregnant man.

Posts: 3917 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:

Big Grin

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:

Wrong Korea. You're thinking of North Korea, the communist shithole where people are executed for minor slights. This was South Korea.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^That's correct. NoKo decided not to participate in the 2020 Summer Olympics over Covid concerns.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16345 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:

Wrong Korea. You're thinking of North Korea, the communist shithole where people are executed for minor slights. This was South Korea.

Oh, my bad. Reddin’ is fundamental.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
On Saturday, MBC issued a formal apology on its website and social media channels, offering “no excuses” but admitting that production had been rushed.

Rushed? They only had an extra year to work on it...

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:

Racist pancake syrup?

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They must've hired the intern from the NTSB that pranked the local news station.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post