SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It’s obviously time to stop thanking military veterans for what they did for the Nation.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It’s obviously time to stop thanking military veterans for what they did for the Nation. Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not all is lost. There are plenty of people out there who understand, respect, and honor your sacrifice and who are raising the next generation to do the same.

Yep.
quote:
Some veterans are tired of the phrase which has become automatic with no real meaning.

Yes, it has become trite and automatic.
Why is that? I think it's that our military has been over-used... particularly in the 22 years since 9/11/2001.

The problem is that many politicians are perfectly willing to use your willingness to sacrifice for their own gain rather than for the good of our country.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24177 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Tomorrow our local schools will all host veterans throughout the day to celebrate them for their service to our nation. Two of our elementary schools along with our middle school will have the students who are scouts perform the flag ceremony at their events.

Not all is lost. There are plenty of people out there who understand, respect, and honor your sacrifice and who are raising the next generation to do the same.

Respect.

I view this from the opinion that the person saying it is showing a genuine sign of respect. We live in a society where that is in damn short supply.

To me, it has less to do with it being awkward for me, and much, much more to do with that individual showing respect for those that came before and after me. Same goes with those that thank me for where I work. It is a sign of respect in a country where too many people don’t even respect themselves.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
This was the point of my post:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
“After all, the USAA survey notes that more than a quarter of civilians polled indicated they had no clue why Veterans Day was even celebrated.”

“I was a sneklaste when I was young.”
“Oh, thank you (I believe; what’s a sneklaste?)”

What do thanks—or condemnation for that matter—mean when the person offering them has no idea what he’s thankful for (or condemning)?

I was discussing recent events with an extremely well-read military veteran and I mentioned some of the attitudes being expressed by certain elements of our society. His response was, “Don’t they know anything about history?” and all I could say was, “No. Nothing.”

If someone sees my “Army Retired” pin and offers me thanks for my “service,” what is the chance they would do so if they knew that I had requested assignment to Vietnam during the war because I believed then—as I do to this day—that although there were many things to criticize about the South, the US was still trying to do a right thing by helping to prevent a country from being overrun by an evil, aggressive neighbor?

I recently watched a video with a couple of conservative commentators discussing Hamas’ invasion of Israel. One attempted to offer some support for Israel’s actions by comparing this war with those in Vietnam and Korea. I don’t recall his exact remarks about the latter two, but it was obvious that he didn’t believe those efforts to resist murderous invasions were morally the same as Israel’s military actions and were therefore somehow illegitimate. So, if that man thanked someone for being a military veteran, how would his expressed gratitude be affected if he knew that the veteran had participated in supporting those military actions in Korea or Vietnam?

In short, if a quarter of American civilians have no idea why Veterans Day is observed, how many more have no idea what our military veterans did, and especially why they did what they did? And as for me personally, if you believe that the actions I willingly helped support during my career were wrong, then save your thanks for someone that you believe is more deserving.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47415 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
To tell the truth, I'm usually kind of embarrassed when somebody says, "Thank you for your service." My reply is always, "Uh....OK. You're welcome."

I don't really want or need any thanks. Hell, I was too scared to go, too dumb to get into college, and too proud to run to Canada. So I enlisted in the Marines at the ripe old age of 17.Smile

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Did y’all tip???

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

THat's actually why I go get the freebies. To tip generously because I have seen a lot of veterans just eat their meal and not leave a tip for the waiter or waitress.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19713 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
To tell the truth, I'm usually kind of embarrassed when somebody says, "Thank you for your service." My reply is always, "Uh....OK. You're welcome."

I tell them "You're worth it and I'll do it again if needed."

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19713 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
From the linked article:
quote:
half of the 1,639 veterans and military personnel surveyed said “Thank you for your service” makes them feel downright “uncomfortable or awkward.”

Although it may sound trite and meaningless, I think most who say it do mean it, to the best of their understanding. Or so I choose to believe.

My response is usually, "It was my honor."

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I will, and always will, tell any person I see wearing something that identifies them as a Vietnam Veteran "Welcome Home".

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38005 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I was too afraid or too dumb or too selfish to enlist when I was young. There have been any number of times since, when I've wished that I had and that I could call myself one of you now. But I didn't, and I can't.

One thing I've never been comfortable doing is walking up to a total stranger and starting a conversation. One day, probably 15 years ago now, I was out walking my dog and came across a guy out doing some kind of yard work. He said something, I don't recall what but probably about the dog, and I stopped and talked to him for a minute. He mentioned that he was an ex Marine. Acting completely out of character, I offered him my hand and thanked him. His response was "Oh, were you a Marine too?" I had to tell him that no, I had never served but appreciate those who have. It was a really awkward moment, at least for me.

So. It is now the 11th hour (at least in my time zone) of the 11th day of the 11th month. After reading this thread I want to take the opportunity to say, without having to do it face-to-face, "Thank You!" to all the vets on the forum. Those of us who have been paying attention all these years, and who were actually taught something about history, do appreciate what all of you have done and given.

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand some might think it to be uncomfortable but to me, it is an honorable thing to do so. I will continue to say it, although some people say it for the sake of just saying it. I am thankful for those who have served.

Posts: 6904 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Our school district has 2 elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school which all host a Veterans Day assembly. Each student body invites veterans that they know, and participates in manner that includes lessons being taught at their grade level.

We serve the veterans a meal or refreshments, they receive gifts made by the younger students, students perform for entertainment, and we have a few speakers that share their experiences in our armed services. This is not only to provide thanks to those who have served our nation, but to teach our students why we thank them.

Our student Scouts conduct the flag ceremonies for the events (minus the high school).

Our kindergartners and first graders:

Our second through fifth graders:

Our middle school Scouts shaking the hands of our veteran guests after the event:

The gymnasium at our second through fifth grade elementary school. The students are a bit young to sit through the entire event, so are brought in by grade for their portion. The tables and the bleachers not visible to the left are occupied by the invited veterans and the students who invited them.

Our middle school gymnasium uses the tables on the floor for the veterans and the students who invited them, with the entire student body present in the bleachers to the right.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15731 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post