SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It’s obviously time to stop thanking military veterans for what they did for the Nation.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It’s obviously time to stop thanking military veterans for what they did for the Nation. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
One more nail in the coffin before the interment:

“After all, the USAA survey notes that more than a quarter of civilians polled indicated they had no clue why Veterans Day was even celebrated.”

Military Times article LINK

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47415 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
In fairness I have no idea why a quarter of civilians are celebrated, or asked their opinions.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6345 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We did what so few were willing/capable of. I wrote a blank check payable including my life. If they don't care, imagine how more messed up the World would be. I am a Proud Veteran and my oath expires upon my death.

Posts: 369 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree crusher

I know what my service means to me ( 26+ years, including 2 combat deployments) and if no one else appreciates it so be it.

Posts: 3299 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Making an issue, when there's really none, out of people thanking the folks who have served. I'm confused. What's the problem here?

Q

Posts: 26492 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I’m proud to have served, and I served in a time when thanks was not given. If civilians don’t understand, I can’t help them to understand, but I will always thank my brothers and sisters wh have served.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6493 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
A couple things I learned from this poorly written article.

Younger veterans, as opposed to older veterans, do not have their whole lives to look back on and realize how few volunteered to do what they did - and all the sacrifices that go with serving in the military.

The other stat could have been written "three quarters" of civilians know why Veterans Day is celebrated. (ask the question at a college and get the quarter that doesn't know)

Not sure there is a problem here?

Thanks to all who have served and are serving. You made our country a better place.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3795 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
To be honest, the only reason why I do it is for the free meal from Applebees every Veterans Day Big Grin

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
In fairness I have no idea why a quarter of civilians are celebrated, or asked their opinions.

That tail end of the Bell Curve.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
To be honest, the only reason why I do it is for the free meal from Applebees every Veterans Day Big Grin

Well, you, me and V-Tail cleaned up at Chili's last year!

And it was completely unexpected. None of us remembered it was Veteran's day, and none of us knew Chili's had a freebie that day.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Did y’all tip???

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

p.s. I honor vets as much and as often as I can. LOVE IT when they’re on my flights…

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john crusher:
We did what so few were willing/capable of. I wrote a blank check payable including my life. If they don't care, imagine how more messed up the World would be. I am a Proud Veteran and my oath expires upon my death.

Thank you for your service. You have a right to be proud.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24176 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
To all here who have served, or are currently serving, Thank You! There are still a lot of us who may not have served ourselves, but do appreciate what you've done!

Posts: 8665 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Well, you, me and V-Tail cleaned up at Chili's last year!

And it was completely unexpected. None of us remembered it was Veteran's day, and none of us knew Chili's had a freebie that day.
Yeah, as I recall, we each ordered a burger and a beer, completely oblivious to the fact that it was Veteran's Day. Could have knocked me over with a feather when the waitress gave me the bill and the only thing on it was the beer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Did y’all tip???

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

p.s. I honor vets as much and as often as I can. LOVE IT when they’re on my flights…
We received prompt, courteous service, the waitress was very pleasant, and the order was correct (including my request that my burger should NOT be over-cooked, it came medium rare!), so yes, of course I tipped. The bill that I received was only for the beverages, but I tipped as if everything had been charged for. She (waitress) earned it.

Tipped in cash rather than add it to the credit card charge; this way, she got all of it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
My father and me and my two brothers all served. My dad was a Command Sargent Major and a lifer. For everyone who served in all of our history, EVERYONE should be damn thankful we lined up to do what they wouldn't or couldn't do. There will come a time when they finally realize this, or maybe not.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 240 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some veterans are tired of the phrase which has become automatic with no real meaning. Paying for a veteran's meal is a much more meaninful gesture.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
As a Desert Storm vet I always thank those who served... but I know coming from a vet it has a different feeling. Hell I'll thank those who served before me for training those who taught me to be a man.

I also have been known to anonymously pay for a veteran's meal or his families meal.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
From the linked article:
quote:
half of the 1,639 veterans and military personnel surveyed said “Thank you for your service” makes them feel downright “uncomfortable or awkward.”

Not my place to disparage the validity of anyone's feelings, but personally I am grateful to all who served, and if my saying so were to make anyone feel uncomfortable, apologies in advance.

Knowing the history, I hew to the 'Eleventh Hour of the Eleventh Day of the Eleventh Month' to honor this holiday, rather than needing to consult a calendar to figure out when it has been randomly shifted to.

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow our local schools will all host veterans throughout the day to celebrate them for their service to our nation. Two of our elementary schools along with our middle school will have the students who are scouts perform the flag ceremony at their events.

Not all is lost. There are plenty of people out there who understand, respect, and honor your sacrifice and who are raising the next generation to do the same.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15729 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post