SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Prefered way to sell a used car **Sold It**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prefered way to sell a used car **Sold It** Login/Join 
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted
It's been a very long time since I've sold a car outright. I've seen many adds for the internet sites but are they effective? When I go to these sights all I see are dealership vehicles. Anyone have any luck on these sites? Anyone use newspapers anymore? How about the magazine type publications?

The car I'm selling KBB retails at $23,000, not really that expensive but I don't think the local trader type papers will work. I'm not in a hurry I bought my new car outright. Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 08 Cayenne,

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Craigslist is popular in my area. For selling, many recommend verifying and copying the license of the per test driving your vehicle, always being in the vehicle during test drives, and attempting to verify they have a way to pay before test driving to avoid 'joy rides'.

Posts: 2369 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
And meeting in say, the parking lots of the police station, under the camera.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
Craigslist is popular in my area. For selling, many recommend verifying and copying the license of the per test driving your vehicle, always being in the vehicle during test drives, and attempting to verify they have a way to pay before test driving to avoid 'joy rides'.

That's how I do it.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Ok, but I would not be in the front passenger seat with other strangers in the rear seats. That is for dam sure.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19223 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My vehicles are maintained by an independent service shop. The owner allows customers to put their vehicles out front with "for sale" signs.

I'm going to chat with him, suggest a small bulletin board in the customer area, for posting "for sale" and "WTB" notices.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30711 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Craigslist has been quite effective for me selling cars and motorcycles. The trick is to accurately describe the vehicle including any blemishes and load lots of pictures taken in good light. Price it realistically. Be prepared for the inevitable “CR low baller” but in my experience most enquirers will be interested.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7110 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
For my most recent car purchase, I searched Autotrader and KBB, and Craigslist for adjacent cities. I prefer private party sellers, avoid dealers.

I’ve sold quite a few cars the same way. You deal with the weirdos, crooks and dreamers, part of the entertainment, I guess.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Unrelated, but it just dawned on me. I've never sold a car in my life. I've donated, given away, or scrapped every one I've ever owned save for one I traded in at a dealership. That's weird.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Any Carmax dealerships in your area? They will give you a price on the spot for your car.

KBB.com also has an option to get a price from various dealers in your area.

I'd rather get a few less dollars from a dealer instead of the hassle of dealing with a private party buyer. Like Jallen I've dealt with some weirdos, crooks and such when doing a private party sale.

On a side note I have a friend that was trying to sell a truck going the private route (similar price to your vehicle). He ran into a bunch of deadbeat, etc... After 2 months he decided to take it to some of the local used car dealers and see what they would offer. He ended up selling it for $500 under his original asking price and was very happy. Said he wished he hadn't wasted the 2 months trying to sell it privately.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4523 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Carmax is way too easy not to use them. At least have them give you a price.

I have sold them the last couple of cars rather than trade them in and feel like I "won" on two of the three deals. The one I "lost" the car needed to be repainted.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
Carmax is way too easy not to use them. At least have them give you a price.

I have sold them the last couple of cars rather than trade them in and feel like I "won" on two of the three deals. The one I "lost" the car needed to be repainted.

I agree. Carmax is worth your time, even if you only want to keep it as a back up plan.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9696 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Autotrader. Price it a bit high so you can lower the price for them and make them think “deal”.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KurtZ66
posted Hide Post
For the last three vehicles my family has sold, we partnered with our local mechanic we've used for years. We set the price we want, let him sell it for whatever he can get for it, and he keeps the difference. He displays the vehicle at his shop, handles the inquiries, test drives, money, everything. It's worked very well. He's sold all three to people he knows or other customers and always gave us what we agreed on as far as sale price. He sold a Camry, GMC Acadia and my father-in-law's Prius.

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

— Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Posts: 413 | Location: GA | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KurtZ66
posted Hide Post
Oh, and my in-laws old F-150.

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

— Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Posts: 413 | Location: GA | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If you put it on craigslist, mention upfront that you will be meeting any prospective purchasers/lookers at the local police station for everyone's safety, AND communicate through phone calls, not texts. Also, they will need to show you their drivers license and an insurance card before any test drive.

I sell lots of stuff on CL and 99.9% of the scammers want to only communicate through texts.

Just remember, trust your judgement and if it sounds too good to be true, it is (not just probably).

Posts: 9533 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have sold four vehicles via Craigslist. You WILL get lots of text messages and emails with lowball prices, and potential scams, but so far it has been pretty easy to distinguish the real interest from the scams.

In all four cases, I've been able to sell my vehicle quickly at a price I was happy with. I didn't bother with going to the police station to do the transaction, I just did them at home. No issues.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
I have sold four vehicles via Craigslist. You WILL get lots of text messages and emails with lowball prices, and potential scams, but so far it has been pretty easy to distinguish the real interest from the scams.

In all four cases, I've been able to sell my vehicle quickly at a price I was happy with. I didn't bother with going to the police station to do the transaction, I arranged to meet them at the bank of their choice. In one case, I simply took cash for the vehicle at my home, but I made sure other members of my family were home in the event something went wrong. No issues.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:

In all four cases, I've been able to sell my vehicle quickly at a price I was happy with. I didn't bother with going to the police station to do the transaction, I just did them at home. No issues.

I am not concerned with the meeting place either. NEVER had an issue.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Depends on how big of a hurry they are to sell but a lot of people around here just park it in their yard with a homemade for sale sign on it. Then post it to Facebook and ask their friends to share it. But we are a bit redneck around here.

Pro tip:
Don't wash it and let the air out of one tire.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post