SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why can’t I install the drivers for my printer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why can’t I install the drivers for my printer Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Yes, it’s Windows, of course. Windows 10. The drivers were fine but the hard drive in the printer went bad and the Copy System company fixed it but now the old drivers don’t recognize the printer so I have to reinstall the drivers. I tried all the online “fixes” but I still get
quote:
Printer driver was not installed.
This operation requires an interactive window station.

I set permissions on the Drivers, DriverStore and DRVSTORE folders. I have admin privileges. I just can’t get it to let me install the drivers. I switched over to Linux and the printer works fine. The drivers install fine on my Windows 10 laptop.

What else can I try?

Posts: 45578 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Did you try uninstalling the old drivers and then rediscovering the printer?

Posts: 3490 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Did you try uninstalling the old drivers and then rediscovering the printer?
Yes. In the control panel it just says “Failed.”

Posts: 45578 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Of course you power cycled the PC and the Printer as well I'm sure. How about using a different port? These are the things I usually do before giving up and reinstalling windows. Hopefully someone with better skills will show up with a solution. Good luck.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Of course you power cycled the PC and the Printer as well I'm sure. How about using a different port? These are the things I usually do before giving up and reinstalling windows. Hopefully someone with better skills will show up with a solution. Good luck.
Yes, i originally got the printer “working” by updating the port. But it only allows me to either print duplex or simplex according to the setting on the printer. The check box on the print dialog box has no effect.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Printer make and model?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44507 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I would first install Ccleaner and run a Registry cleanup to get rid of all remaining traces of the old drivers.

Next, i would then navigate the Program Files folder and the User folders for more printer manufacturers folders and dispose of them.

Reboot and run Ccleaner registry cleanup again. Ccleaner operation is quite safe, been using it for 20 years.

If you’re up to it, browse the registry for printer manufacturer entries. That is tricky and time consuming. Skip it if you are not comfortable with this.

Make sure there are no remnants of previous installs in your Temp folder and do a fresh install.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12287 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^
That's where I was going with this. Smile

Some printer manufacturers have "uninstallers" for that only touch their products and clean registry entries, .dll's and such.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44507 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Printer make and model?
Konica Minolta BizHub C3351

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
I would first install Ccleaner and run a Registry cleanup to get rid of all remaining traces of the old drivers.

Next, i would then navigate the Program Files folder and the User folders for more printer manufacturers folders and dispose of them.

Reboot and run Ccleaner registry cleanup again. Ccleaner operation is quite safe, been using it for 20 years.

If you’re up to it, browse the registry for printer manufacturer entries. That is tricky and time consuming. Skip it if you are not comfortable with this.

Make sure there are no remnants of previous installs in your Temp folder and do a fresh install.

0-0
OK, I ran CCleaner and was still unable to install the driver I downloaded from Konica Minolta but it did allow me to install the generic drivers. Thanks. Now it allows me to choose duplex when needed.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Create a restore point and run the installation tool and see if you can delete it.

Since you have a working solution, you can restore if it mucks anything up.

https://kmbsmanuals.konicamino...id01-_104677807.html