SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need Some Insight from Our Residential Electrician Types
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Some Insight from Our Residential Electrician Types Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
First; I am an aircraft electrician by trade and know the dangers of electricity.

Here's what I have; 15A general circuit.7 outlets on the circuit plus LED ceiling lights (8 total)spread out into two bedrooms.

In one bedroom, two of the four outlets work as do the lights. The other two plug have 2 VAC on the them and, each of the two "hot" holes will read 129 VAC to ground. (one of these two feed into the other bedroom and all outlets in there read out the same.

Pulled out both plugs and they look good (no burnt wires, good connections, etc.). Changed out the circuit breaker on a whim, no joy. Also, no GFCI outlet on the circuit either.

Also - the power did return briefly when nothing was touched. Then went out again. This was what lead me to the CB replacement.

Short of buying a meter which can follow the electrical path through walls (saw an electrician with one and still considering the purchase though) - any ideas from the brain trust on where to look for the flaw?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
If the outlets are daisy-chained, it could be an internal problem with the connection.

Outlets are cheap, replace them.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15264 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Yup, they are daisy chained.

Time to find that box of spare outlets.

Thx

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
four outlets changed, still nothing.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Try removing the LEDs on the circuit and checking again.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43916 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Check the neutral wire connection on the upstream outlet.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Consider taking a lamp and plugging it in to every outlet. The first one to replace would be the furthest working outlet. Then the closest nonworking outlet.

It couldn't hurt to replace them all anyway.

Any idea how/where the LED lights were tapped in?

Posts: 9167 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

In the working room or other?

(Also, with the 2VAC stray voltage, those four non-working room lights all have a dim "moonglow" to them.

posted Hide Post
It sounds like you have lost the neutral mid-way through the outlet chain. Check the switch boxes and outlet boxes on this circuit to make sure all the neutrals are actually connected in the wire nuts- they are usually stuffed in the back of the wall boxes (outlets may not have this neutral bundle). I am not a professional but In houses I have owned I have had bundles of neutrals in wire nuts with a single wire that has popped out and also had one where the neutral was smashed and broken so it was intermitent.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

In the working room or other?

(Also, with the 2VAC stray voltage, those four non-working room lights all have a dim "moonglow" to them.

On the circuit your having the power anomaly.

If the light switch(es) are defective, the bulbs can have that residual glow, most often due to poor construction (bad quality bulbs) as the driver/transformer can still be energized it the switch(es) are defective.

With no blubs, the switch(es) should not present any load on the circuit, rather than having you start swapping them out.

(and also, back stabbed outlets and switches are a big peeve of mine. causing all sorts of issues.)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43916 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nshumway:
It sounds like you have lost the neutral mid-way through the outlet chain.

Older houses are also where you find cheated grounds with a neutral bond. Touch the fridge and the stove together and BAM!, you're dead.

I've never lost a "daisy chain" because of a faulty outlet because the series runs through the outlet side plates, which is just two screws and the brass plate. (like sigmonkey, I never use the stab in connections.). My son's new house did have a few outlets towards the end of a series where the installer removed the binder between the screws, probably thinking there would be a lamp circuit.

It'd bet on nshumway's guess. You have an open neutral somewhere. Find the junction where the light circuit is powered, and check the neutral splice there. I'll say it again and again, WAGOs are your friend (especially when splicing five wires).

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post

Dropped and disconnected the LED in the "bad room." (Note: Everything is on the same 15A circuit.)

Replaced the outlet where the issue starts in the "good room" along with the one where the circuit enters in the "bad room." Also, replaced two others which were original to the house (1978 build BTW).

Bought a circuit trace (Klein) which includes the little adapter for power/neutral/ground connections. Adapter shows the first bad outlet (in the "good room" and replaced) as having hot and ground reversed.

So two questions:

1. Any ideas on where to look?
2. How can this "suddenly" happen?

V/R

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Pull the cover plate off the "bad" outlet, stick your little tester in and then remove the outlet.

(let me know if the indicators change).

Then double check the wiring on that outlet.

Are any outlets "half hot" (one half on a switch) or fully switched outlets?

A circuit can have mis-wired outlets, switches, and/or lamp receptacles. All of those can fail, either high resistance, opens, or shorts.

Bad wire nuts, and bare wires touching each other or grounds, after years of being very close, but not a problem until a cord gets tugged the wrong way, or inserted with a bit more force.

Some can work with a light load, and then exhibit a problem with a heavy load, and vermin can get inside.

I have witnesses geckos laying eggs in outlets and found several mummified remains, showing years of them nearly filling a receptacle box, and in some cases never causing a problem, and others, resulting in blown breaker that would not reset.

Same thing with mice, stuffed full of insulation and cardboard and two little zapped micelets.

If you have a known good light switch, might swap each out, one at a time.

It is easier to test than to tell you how to test, without knowing the circuit.

You know from working on aircraft, that trying to troubleshoot or dictate maintenance without stepping out of the shop, is typically a no-no. This is that. Smile

So, unless you can "see" the complete circuit and all loads, to include proper functioning ground pathing.

And finally, is the incorrect branch circuit or load that should not be, or is not obvious and you cannot "see" it. (like a load in an attic, crawl space, or smoke detector)

And why I did walk throughs with my electricians/low voltage guys/plumbers and provided accurate "as built" to include change order work when completed, to the customer upon closing/occupation.

It was very little overhead to do it, and always easier to fix something later if there was a problem.

If I were not 2000+ miles away, I would come by and swing from your ceiling fan.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:

If I were not 2000+ miles away, I would come by and swing from your ceiling fan.

Swing by, you say?

Why not just ride your Monkey Motorcycle? I think these are cool and would love to have one. The question is, Red or Blue?

Swing By On A Monkey

Posts: 11860 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bad wire nuts, and bare wires touching each other or grounds, after years of being very close, but not a problem until a cord gets tugged the wrong way, or inserted with a bit more force.

Hey Monkey - this was it.

I was beginning to think I had a connection inside the wall(s) until I remembered Residential Wiring 101, "Thou shalt not put spliced wires where they cannot be accessed. Thou shall put them in an exposed junction box so thine inspector can inspect."

Once I remembered that - I just worked my way backwards until I found which outlet had all the black n white wires conglomerated. Replaced dem nutz and that outlet too - all works now.

And my biggest fear (a mouse inside the wall eating wire) did not come true.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear.

I hate worrying about electrisicle gremlins hidin' inna walls, when tryin' to fall asleep.

posted Hide Post
I replaced a dimmer switch the other day . When I turned the breaker back on I noticed that you could make the lights blink by just tapping the cover plate. When I was poking around with the wiring a neutral wire popped out of the wire nut connection . I remade that connection and all was well .

Posts: 4066 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Drives me nuts at times when I see y'all having electrical problems. Pulling out hair, randomly replacing things, guessing along the way. 98% of the time I'd diagnose them ghosts in five minutes.

Glad you found it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20837 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it fixed.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post