SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seeking hand tool wrench sizes advise
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking hand tool wrench sizes advise Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I need to buy 2 or 3 more combination wrenches in Metric sizes. I currently have 10mm thru 19mm but have needed larger from time to time, being forced to use a large adjustable wrench or other means, but as you know, sometimes only a combination wrench will really cut it.

So for our DIYers, Motorheads, and Professional Mechanics, if I were to buy two or three larger combination wrenches above 19mm, should I go in succession, like 20mm, 21mm, and 22mm, or should I skip one or two of those sizes. Unfortunately I don't know what sizes I actually needed since I got by with other means, but I know that won't always work out in the future, and I generally like to have the right tool for the job if it's something I'm gonna wish I had in the middle of a big project (big for me). Rounding a large nut or busting and hand is not my preferred way of wrenching, particularly since I don't have genetically strong hands and forearms.

FWIW I don't work on HD Trucks or any HD machines of any type, just light duty trucks and cars, but I've run out of space more times than I can count in both the larger SAE and Metric sizes. My current largest combination in SAE is 1 in and 19mm in metric.

Same question but for line type wrenches, as I've run out of larger sizes for those too.

What do you guys recommend ? I normally don't skip any sizes, BUT, the larger wrenches are expensive, since I usually buy professional grade brands for wrenches, sockets, and ratchets, so I'm making some exceptions for these larger sizes, if you guys think this makes sense. Or not.

Any advice much appreciated.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Larger wrenches are expensive, I would just get the ones you would need.
My most often used larger metric wrenches and sockets are 21,22,24,30 and 32 mm

Most line wrench sets are from 8mm to 19mm and 5/16" to 3/4", I have sets of wrenches and crowfeet up to 22mm and 7/8" I have sets from NAPA that have held up to hard use.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
My most often used larger metric wrenches and sockets are 21,22,24,30 and 32 mm.

These plus I use 25mm and 27mm on many of the light trucks I work on.

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I usually only use Wrenches if I can't get a Socket on it, but there are exceptions. I have NO Metric Wrenches larger than 19mm. I will also only buy 12 pt. Sockets if a 6 pt. is NOT available in that size!

I have purchased large(r) Metric Sockets as needed and currently have the following sizes beyond the 19mm supplied in a typical set:

21,22,24 & 27mm

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8895 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Really depends on what you're working on. I keep extras of JIS sizes. 10, 12, 14, 17, 19.

I do have complete wrenches with no skips up to 32mm but that really doesn't sound necessary for your needs. Also be aware that several SAE sizes can be used on metric fasteners since they are close enough.

19mm and 3/4
22mm and 7/8
24mm and 15/16
27mm and 1-1/16
30mm and 1-3/16
32mm and 1-1/4

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Everyone's needs are different (both in women and wrenches.) I have way more sizes than I need. Both in sockets and flat wrenches, combination and different ends. All that came about over years of accumulation. I have sons, so I learned to lock my better tools up in my jeeps. It didn't take me long to not just look in my tool box, but also in theirs. Tools seemed to just grow legs. Sons don't really steal them, they just borrow and forget to return them.

All that for background. I live in a region rich in racing. Not pro's, but just shade tree types. I wouldn't suggest just heading out to the Sears store and buying up what you need. You're better off going to flea markets and yard sales. They used to publish newspapers. Sorry for showing my age. A buddy stopped at one where the ex-wife was selling off her ex's tools. The court had given him 6 full months to clear his shit out. He failed. All his mechanic's tools were on tables for $1 each. Smile

Big flea markets are places to go and find stuff. So are saturday mornings to cruise working class neighborhoods (were most of us live). Bring cash, they don't accept plastic.

The point being that the guarantee is the same on a 50 year old tool and one bought and broken yesterday. The only problem being they don't always line up on a tool rail as nice. Got good eyes? Watch the side of the road. Fool mechanics leave tools under the hood then take a test drive. Smile Read Craigslist. When the price seems low enough, buy all you can afford. I have no idea why I've got 3/4 an 1" drive sockets and ratchets, but they were cheap. Damn fool that I am, I even have some 2" + sockets. Some even blue point and such. I did give away my 3" flat wrenches the last time we moved.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
It depends somewhat on what you will be working on. The Car Care Nut is a master Toyota Tech and gives great advice on good starting tools, especially for a Toyota or Lexus owner.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Some of this depends on what you are working on, but above 19mm the sizes I use some of the time is 21 mm, 24 mm, 27 mm, 30 mm 22 mm in that order. I've never had a 20mm. Most of the time if its a 25mm I use a SAE 1"

If I needed a few of those sizes I would buy something like the home depot XL MM Combination Wrench Set (5-Piece) Husky set that has the larger common sizes 21 mm, 22 mm, 24 mm, 27 mm, 30 mm for $59.97. I've found the Husky tools to be fairly tough tools. I'm one of those guys that will take a 3 or 4 pound hammer to a wrench if need be.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hu...W5PCMMN-05/314256127

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
For the bigger stuff I just buy ‘as needed’, unless I come across a great deal. I’m in the mid category as far as wrenching on things.

I was just at a Fleet Farm yesterday, looking around as I waited for my gun check to clear(CZ 75D Compact PCR). I saw the clearance isle had a fair amount of tools. I normally like clearance prices in the 75+% off range, these were a little short of that.

All I added was another 3/8” extension & some light bulbs.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
For the bigger stuff I just buy ‘as needed’, unless I come across a great deal. I’m in the mid category as far as wrenching on things.

I was just at a Fleet Farm yesterday, looking around as I waited for my gun check to clear(CZ 75D Compact PCR). I saw the clearance isle had a fair amount of tools. I normally like clearance prices in the 75+% off range, these were a little short of that.

All I added was another 3/8” extension & some light bulbs.

Regarding your CZ 75D Compact PCR, you're gonna love it. It's a fantastic gun.

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
So, so far it's sounding like 20mm and 23mm are out of the running as early favorites. And 21mm and 22mm are the better choices. If correct you guys are saving me real money.

posted Hide Post
I needed a 22 or 23 for something & this was almost cheaper than buying singles:
Sunex

It didn't break the 1 time I've used it....
I think the only times the roll has been out of my box is the 1st use, cleaning the box out when potato bugs move in & a couple of times using the bigger wrenches as cheater bars. <$25 for 5pcs for something I'll use almost never is OK. $15per isn't.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dare I say this is a great time for a visit to Harbor Freight. For infrequent use they may be a viable option

Posts: 5419 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:

Everyone's needs are different (both in women and wrenches.) I have way more sizes than I need . . . but they were cheap. Damn fool that I am
Eek

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
What are you working on? Japanese and Korean vehicles use 22 and 24 a lot, domestic 21, 24 and sometimes 27 and 30. 20 is rarely encountered; I have only used it (to my recollection) on older GM truck fuel filters and A/C lines. I have never needed a 23. I only have one socket in this size, that only because it happened to come in the set.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:

Everyone's needs are different (both in women and wrenches.) I have way more sizes than I need . . . but they were cheap. Damn fool that I am
Eek

Is rburg referring to women or wrenches above??

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Once you get over 1", stuff is so large that it really doesn't matter if you use SAE or Metric on a bolt, in 12pt. If you use your 1" wrench when you need a 25mm or your 1 1/16 when you need a 26mm, it really doesn't matter. Sort through your wrenches, both MM and SAE, and just fill in a few blanks between the gaps. In order to round off a large bolt, you'd have to be grossly oversized.

Unless you have OCD and need to see them all lined up in the toolbox. Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Sounds like we work on similar sizes.
I've been using tools like this for decades and don't own any metric over 19mm. On the rare occasion I need a larger metric wrench one of the SAE sizes is close enough. Many of the SAE sizes are so similar to metric that they are well within the tolerance needed.

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Virtually identical in dimensions:

22mm and 7/8"
24mm and 15/16"
32mm and 1-1/4"

1-1/16" will fit loosely on a 27mm. I still prefer the 27 when breaking an EGR tube fitting loose (they are almost always rusted).

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
What are you working on? Japanese and Korean vehicles use 22 and 24 a lot, domestic 21, 24 and sometimes 27 and 30. 20 is rarely encountered; I have only used it (to my recollection) on older GM truck fuel filters and A/C lines. I have never needed a 23. I only have one socket in this size, that only because it happened to come in the set.

all light duty: Ford, Chevy, Nissan, Toyota