SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Colorado gun laws
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado gun laws Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
Looking to understand what it takes to transfer guns to a family member in Colorado from out of state. Hand & long guns.
2 main methods in question:
1. Colorado resident drives to another state and picks up some firearms from a family member.
2. Out of state family member drives to Colorado with firearms and gives them to the Colorado resident.

Or does it have to be through an ffl?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Drives" is the key word here AFAIAC. Don't ask, don't tell.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I believe the law requires it to be done through a FFL.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Colorado passed a law a couple years back that all firearm transactions are required to go thru an FFL for the background check.

Any magazines over 15 rounds are no longer legal to be purchased. Current magazines in possession are grandfathered in.

It may be better for the out of state family member drive to Colorado to deliver the firearms to the FFL as a transfer receipt may need to be signed. I had to have a sale transfer receipt when I bought a gun from a friend last year.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
What bigwagon said.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Unless an immediate family member, and still, the family member may have to reside in CO, This will most likely require an ffl in each state or at least a CO ffl that accepts from non-ffl.

I don't believe you could cross state lines to do business in the CO ffl.

I would reccomend the ffls to do the transferring via ups/usps especially if any of the weapons could possibly be involved in a use of force defense.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gu...e/colorado-gun-laws/

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have to ask,
"Snowmobile (permit for predator control required)"

You can't carry a gun on a snowmoble, I'm I reading this right ?

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC, since July 1, 2013 all firearms transfers in Colorado require the background check which means involving a FFL holder. This includes temporary transfers such as loaning a firearm to a family member for use during a hunting trip, etc.

Since 1968 we have generally been limited to firearms purchases within our state of residence (Gun Control Act of 1968, some exceptions but the general rule applies in most cases). Driving out of state to acquire a firearm might involve a violation of GCA-68. Selling or purchasing a firearm privately outside your state of residence could expose you to prosecution.

No, I don't like it either, but why invite .gov into your life? A few bucks paid to a FFL dealer to document the transaction certainly beats paying a lawyer to defend you at the courthouse.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1092 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Did this member live in MI when legal to own said firearm? Say a 25 y/o child recently moved to CO? Could you be bringing them a gun you already gave them a few years ago?

Regarding out of State FFLs for transfers, twice I set the gun on the counter for a transfer, wasn’t shipped in. Once as the seller, second on as the buyer. If you get the right FFL, they shouldn’t care if the gun is shipped in or brought in by an individual, check ahead of time.

Yes, most FFLs don’t like to be ‘rushed’, transaction could take a day or two, regardless of required waiting periods.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Under federal law, any firearm transfer from out of state has to go through an FFL. CO resident can obtain long gun in another state (through FFL) and bring it back. Handgun has go through FFL in CO. CO may have additional requirements, but certainly a CO FFL will know.

That’s a 10 year federal felony, so make your own decisions with “don’t ask don’t tell”

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post