SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2017 VW Passat Assistance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 VW Passat Assistance Login/Join 
posted
Really dumb queston, but.....

I was really pressed for time when I picked up the rental car, a 2017 VW Passat. Of course, being a rental, there is no manual. How do I open the gas flap? I've searched several times and I cannot find a release. It's not an immediate problem, but I believe it may be shortly. I tried "chatting" with a VW Tech Rep, but could not get her to understand, all I want to do is open the damn flap so I can remove the cap and insert the fuel nozzle.

BTW, this can is really nice! Not in the market for a new car, but I'd have to give this car consideration if I was.

Thanks!

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you try pressing on the cover? Sometimes, they just press open and closed, and there is not a lock.

Posts: 190 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
push in the left side and it should pop out, or there is a button on your driver door for it.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2281 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the doors are locked the fuel cover will be locked as well. At least that how my 2013 works. Unlock the car and just press on the cover. It's a push to open and push to close latch, kind of spring loaded

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks lunchbox. I'm a security oriented guy, would have never thought to unlock the car. Yes, I lock my doors at fuel pumps. I'm that nuts.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I have one, just push it to open. I kind of bump it with a closed fist.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4795 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
diesel?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19706 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I like the VW type R until I saw the sticker. Now, I'd settle for the GTI

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
I have one, just push it to open. I kind of bump it with a closed fist.

Do you say "Ayyy" when you do this ala Arther Fonzarelli? Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 11610 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lunchbox:
If the doors are locked the fuel cover will be locked as well.
My 1978 Mercedes 240D worked that way.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
My wife had one for about 4 years, nicely made car, great interior, drove great, till it came off warranty, then it seemed to break all the time, and repairs were not cheap at all. Got rid of it and she got a Toyota RAV4 , she loves that car.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, regular gas car. But I will double check before fueling. And they are spendy. Probably a Camry would be a better buy. But, I'm not buying. I need to get back to my bike. All these widee open roads and no bike to ride! I'm in Phoenix.

posted Hide Post
You're not the only person who'd been had by the way VW does the filler door. We've had a few different VWs at work for trips and they all do this. Coming back from a trip I was gassing up and I watched someone in front of me in a new Jetta poke and prod for a minute before I called over to unlock the doors. He said something along the lines of he never would've thought to do that and thanked me.

Our newest company is a base Passat. Decent car, good mileage and it has good legs with a big gas tank too. Just wish it had the newer/nicer VW radio the other VW we have (a Golf Sportwagen) has.

Posts: 2220 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LH2
posted Hide Post
Had a 3 year lease on a new B7 Passat. It was a really nice car, very well put together, quiet and comfortable.

A lot of folks don't realize that the new Passats are American made in the non-union Chattanooga, TN plant.

I've got 3 VW's in the garage now, so I'm aware of the gas door thing, but to somebody not used to VW's I could see where it would be puzzling.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Arizona | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post