SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hiding/disguising your safe?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hiding/disguising your safe? Login/Join 
posted
Another thread has me thinking of ways to hide or disguise my safe. It is unfortunately in a very plainly visible location on the first floor as an old house with narrow stairways makes getting it up or down almost impossible.
Curious if anybody else has gone this route or are you generally ok with it being out in the open?

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2741 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Throw a quilt over it?

Make it look like a quilt display. Smile

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My largest and stoutest safe is out in the open, mainly because there's nowhere else for it to go.

But my smaller safes/cabinets are mounted in small closets. This is not so much to disguise them, though it does put them out of plain view. Instead, since they're easier to cut open, mounting them somewhere that there's limited access makes them a harder target.

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

I personally had my safe in the bedroom closet.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16706 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
The safe with nothing of value is pretty much in plain site in garage.

But the safe with all the good stuff is very well hidden.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody know how much one of those old vending machines would run? If it's big enough, I'd just cut out the back and the guts and put it over my safe (also in the garage, so the pop machine would fit right in).

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2741 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Black92LX's amazing idea....
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5130005134

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I saw this on Facebook awhile back and thought it was a pretty good use of an old fridge... Big Grin

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe some safe companies sell magnetic covers that look like various things. Some like wood paneling, some sheetrock, etc.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Another thread has me thinking of ways to hide or disguise my safe. It is unfortunately in a very plainly visible location on the first floor as an old house with narrow stairways makes getting it up or down almost impossible.
Curious if anybody else has gone this route or are you generally ok with it being out in the open?

Drywall a false wall?

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Good question. Been thinking about this.
I don't have a safe, but I do have a locking gun cabinet. I'm more concerned about keeping the grandkids out than theft. But still... I just keep it beside my bed now for easy access, but I know it will be the first thing to go in case of a break in.

I have an empty, boxed in space under a stairwell with no current access into it. I have thought about putting a flush to the wall bookshelf on hinges in it. The guns cabinet hid behind that... it would also serve as a hide for a security system hardware / recorder. Your security camera recordings won't do any good if the thief finds and takes your recorder with him... unless it's saved online somewhere.

I think it's a hell of an idea, but the wife doesn't like the idea of a bookshelf taking up wall space in the living room.

People often hide valuables in a refrigerator... Thieves know that, that's no good.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Every time illegal alien wetback immigrant mofos ever broke into our cabin they checked the fridge, freezer, washer and dryer. And the kitchen cabinets. To include dumping the contents of bisqwik and cake mix boxes on the floor to see if we hid valuables therein. Bastards.

Posts: 26912 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I've been planning to build a shell around it that looks like Dr. Who's TARDIS but just haven't gotten around to it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zoom6zoom,

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was on a dope raid / search warrant once and we were looking for the targets guns. Down in the basement was a large water heater. Very ordinary looking. One of our guys touched it and it was cold but there was lots of hot water. A closer examination revealed that it was hollowed out. Guns and dope inside.
Pretty clever. Dude even left the pipes hooked to it. Hot water was from instant on heaters mounted under the sinks and behind the shower.
I would imagine a hollowed out hot water heater would fit over a small safe.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I've been planning to build a shall around it that looks like Dr. Who's TARDIS but just haven't gotten around to it.

How about this https://www.amazon.com/Doctor-...s-Tent/dp/B006K1PHXS

Posts: 220 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: May 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sean7:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I've been planning to build a shall around it that looks like Dr. Who's TARDIS but just haven't gotten around to it.

How about this https://www.amazon.com/Doctor-...s-Tent/dp/B006K1PHXS

Never mind. I didn't see the ridiculous price on it.

Posts: 220 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: May 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Heck just build a secret room...
with a hidden entrance that requires
moving a whole set of stairs, hydraulically
of course, with a remote....

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
You could do this if you have a big enough wall closet in your bedroom. Remove the closet sliding doors and door framing. Frame a space for the safe at one end of the closet. Sheetrock the area so the closet ends where the safe for the safe begins. Essentially your framing a little closet just for the safe. Install the safe in there.

Have a cabinetmaker/carpenter (or DIY if you have that skill) make a bookshelf unit or cabinet that would be hinged to open, essentially as a door for the safe closet. If you want to get to the safe, pivot the bookshelves out of the way. Have a hidden latch installed to keep the bookshelf unit from opening unless the latch was released.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Heck just build a secret room...
with a hidden entrance that requires
moving a whole set of stairs, hydraulically
of course, with a remote....

Put the candle back!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sO3qJGKs9gw

Posts: 26912 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Admittedly I’m retired and spend a great deal of time at home, but anyone casing my home for a safe would probably get noticed and dealt with in short order. The dogs don’t like strangers either. One in particular is adept at telling folks to get off my lawn. Big Grin

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post