SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SCOTUS rules that partisan gerrymandering claims present political questions beyond the reach of the federal courts-remedies left to states & Congress
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCOTUS rules that partisan gerrymandering claims present political questions beyond the reach of the federal courts-remedies left to states & Congress Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
This was the ruling in the North Carolina and Maryland cases that had been appealed to SCOTUS.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/p...-20190326-story.html

The court sends both the Maryland case and the North Carolina case back to the lower courts with instructions to dismiss for lack of jurisdiction..

It's a 5-4 ruling - here's a link to the decision:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/o...8pdf/18-422_9ol1.pdf

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I wonder what this does in states where courts already ruled against Gerrymandering?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I wonder what this does in states where courts already ruled against Gerrymandering?

Those decisions will stand, as they did in this case.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a 5-4 ruling

They said on TV it was 9-0, am I wrong?

Posts: 22895 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
It's a 5-4 ruling

They said on TV it was 9-0, am I wrong?

Direct from the linked decision:

quote:
ROBERTS, C. J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which THOMAS,
ALITO, GORSUCH, and KAVANAUGH, JJ., joined. KAGAN, J., filed a dissenting opinion, in which GINSBURG, BREYER, and SOTOMAYOR, JJ.,
joined.

- John Adams