SIGforum
White People’s Eating Habits Hurting the Environment, Academia Claims

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3360080554

March 29, 2019, 06:06 PM
olfuzzy
White People’s Eating Habits Hurting the Environment, Academia Claims
Eek I had no idea that I was killing the planet.

A report published in the Journal of Industrial Ecology claims that white people’s eating habits are contributing more to climate change than their black and Latino counterparts.
Report authors concluded, using data on food production — use of water, land, production, and distribution — that white people’s diet causes more greenhouse gas emissions.

“Potatoes, beef, apples, and milk are some of the worst offenders,” the New York Post reported.

“The food pipeline — which includes its production, distribution, and waste — contributes significantly to climate change through the production of greenhouse gases and requires significant amounts of water and land, which also has environmental effects,” Joe Bozeman, a student at the University of Illinois who helped produce the report, said.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) contributed to the report, providing data on more than 500 food groups and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) weighed in on individual diets.

The Post reported:

Data showed that whites produced an average of 680 kilograms of the CO2 each year, attributable to food and drink, whereas Latinx individuals produced 640 kilograms, and blacks 600.

They also found the diets of white people required 328,000 liters of water on average per year. Latinx used just 307,000 liters, and blacks 311,800. Both black and Latinx individuals used more land per capita with 1,770 and 1,710 square meters per year, respectively than white people with just 1,550. Nevertheless, white people still made the greatest overall contribution to climate change.

The underlying purpose of the study is ominous, calling for policies to address the findings.

“The study was undertaken to get a better understanding of the environmental impacts of the food consumption patterns of major demographic groups so that environmental policies designed to reduce negative impacts of food production could be drafted that take these differences into account,” a press release announcing the report said.

“If you are going to draft policies that may reduce the amount of land-intensive oranges, we need to think about other less resource-intensive sources of vitamin C,” Bozeman said. “It gets more complex as you look closely at the food pipeline and how different populations engage with it, but we are now starting to get a better understanding on these complex dynamics in such a way that we can begin to rationally take steps to improve environmental quality.”

The report Abstract stated, in part:

Our findings suggest that obtaining data with the intention of building consensus across sociodemographic lines overcomes barriers in the understanding phase, leading to increased social receptivity for many planning and managing phase processes. Specifically, we find that identifying and developing leaders who possess the cognitive and interpersonal capacity to manage many variables and stakeholders is key to assessing and selecting adaptation options in the planning phase.

We also propose using government programming to encourage environmentally friendly food purchasing behavior. Then, we discuss how our proposals could be used in adaptation feasibility and evaluation activities in the managing phase. In all, these findings facilitate the development of improved climate change adaptation and policy by satisfying the understanding phase of the climate change adaptation framework, establishing a cross‐disciplinary methodological approach to addressing socioecological problems, and providing useful FEW impact data for FEW nexus and climate change researchers.

“While the difference may not be enormous, these numbers are per individual, and when you add up all those individuals, it’s very clear that whites are responsible for the majority of greenhouse gases emitted as a result of their food choices,” Bozeman said.

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...ent-academia-claims/
March 29, 2019, 06:10 PM
ArtieS
Dinner tonight. Porterhouse. Fuck 'em.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
March 29, 2019, 06:11 PM
Tuckerrnr1
But if I eat Mexican or soul food I'm guilty of a cultural appropriation.

March 29, 2019, 06:12 PM
flashguy
Good. As a responsible White person, I will continue eating my diet that contributes CO2 to the environment, thus stimulating the growth of more green plants.

(ArtieS, was that Porterhouse before or after it was cooked?)

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
a1abdj
What an amazing opportunity to put all of this to the test.

Since roughly half of white people in the US are leftists they should be forced into a tofu and water diet for 5 years. At the end of 5 years we can check to see if the climate has improved or not.

www.zykansafe.com
DennisM

March 29, 2019, 06:18 PM
Skins2881
Ok, I'll start drinking grape soda and eating fried chicken, Chitlins, BBQ, and pigs feet. That will put an end to this global warming thing. AOC I fixed your whole world is going to end in twelve years problem, no need to thank me.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
March 29, 2019, 06:40 PM
oddball
I'm assuming this "study" is of the U.S.

These asshole idiots seem to forget that whites make up the vast majority of this country, more than blacks and hispanics combined.

Assholes.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
March 29, 2019, 06:51 PM
bigdeal
Somewhat like the woman in the grocery check out line who chastised me for using plastic bags as opposed to bringing my own bacteria ridden bags. My response? I simply instructed to kid bagging my groceries to go back and 'double' bag everything.

Ya gotta believe the planet is laughing hysterically at the human race and its arrogance in thinking it can somehow hurt the planet. This little blue ball floating in space will be here for hundreds of millions of years after humans are nothing but a long forgotten blip on the celestial timeline.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter
March 29, 2019, 06:55 PM
tatortodd
quote:
Potatoes, beef, apples, and milk
I'm going to shout "Uncle Tom" at every AA that I see eating/drinking any of those white people plant ending items Wink

However, first I'm going to start with my good friend who has dual citizenship in Messico and US (father earned US citizenship in military) as that gringo wannabe eats more steak than any man I know and has an orchard with 40+ trees.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
March 29, 2019, 07:08 PM
Bisleyblackhawk
Sooooo...when I eat at Taco Bell, does that mean that I'm hurting the enviro...Eewwww...never mind!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet
March 29, 2019, 07:08 PM
darthfuster
Maybe the answer is to declare white people not really people at all and have them eliminated. Wouldn't that fix the world's problems?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
March 29, 2019, 07:43 PM
PossibleZombie
I only eat red meat once every month or two. I'm taking one for the team so some of you guys can enjoy more red meat without destroying the world.
March 29, 2019, 07:56 PM
gearhounds
More leftist insanity- hardly even blips the radar anymore.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
March 29, 2019, 08:20 PM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
I only eat red meat once every month or two. I'm taking one for the team so some of you guys can enjoy more red meat without destroying the world.

Had salmon two nights ago and rockfish last night. I think we deserve some carbon offset credits.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
March 29, 2019, 08:49 PM
BadDogPSD
Studies have show that future studies will contradict current studies.

But this one is really stupid!

Like guns, Love Sigs
March 29, 2019, 09:07 PM
signewt
quote:
the Journal of Industrial Ecology claims that white people’s eating habits are contributing more to climate change than their black and Latino counterparts.

So how is it 'we' are shipping megatons of food to 'them' all over the planet?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey