SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Motorcycle Time!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Motorcycle Time! Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Congrats!
Those small displacement sport bikes are the most fun you can have on the street. You can rev them out a bit and ride a bit more spirited without running too afoul of the law.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I completed some needed modifications on the new R3. I am up to 300 miles on the odometer.
I also added a battery tender pigtail to the bike. It required disconnecting the battery.
When I finished the job, I took the bike out for a ride and soon discovered after disconnecting the battery, the fancy LCD display had reverted to kilometers per hour instead of miles per hour.
Damn, I was really going fast when the display read kph!
I had to go back home and get the owners manual out for resetting the display back to miles per hour.
It's all good now!

Here is photo of the OEM exhaust.

IMG_20230413_140210512_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Here is the new exhaust. The Graves Motorsports slip-on muffler has a bit of a lower/louder tone, but shouldn't be a problem with the noise Police.
The outlet end cap is titanium, the body (can) is carbon fiber, and the inlet pipe and inlet end cap is stainless steel.
The Graves unit weighs about 40% of the OEM.

IMG_20230413_160426728_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Here is the OEM rear fender.

IMG_20230413_140221362_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Here is the Graves Motorsports rear fender eliminator using the stock turn signals.

IMG_20230413_160413972_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

The pile of parts on the concrete is what has been removed/eliminated so far

. IMG_20230413_160548921_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

I didn't get the neoprene tank protector lined up perfectly straight, but it does the job.
My brother informed me that careful use of a hair dryer will get that pesky sticker removed from the center of the fuel tank cover.
There's also one on the windshield that needs to go away.

IMG_20230413_160437790_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1548 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bike you have there but you could not pay to ride that thing because of the riding position and the throttle response... My last bike was a 2005 Honda VTX 1800 F w/aftermarket fairing w/tunes and with a performance car tire (215x45x18)(ridding the darkside) ... Big v-twin cruiser at almost 800lbs... was a beast in low gear range(massive torque) but due to a massive flood in august 2016 w/41 inches of water in garage I let the insurance company have it with a pay out. 77,000 + miles on speedometer......But still ...Be safe out there and watch out because they are not looking out for you. ................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2016 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:

My brother informed me that careful use of a hair dryer will get that pesky sticker removed from the center of the fuel tank cover.
There's also one on the windshield that needs to go away.

I used a hair dryer and plastic "credit card" to remove the sticker and used Maxima MPPL lube to rub out all the residue. Mine took quite a bit of work as it wanted to come off in layers. Might be due to the age and being baked in the sun for years, but it was stubborn.

Not sure about your year, but on my 2015, there is still a plastic outline moulded into the plastic tank cover that will remain. Still looks better than the orange sticker.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Here's my latest toy.
So far I've replaced the seat, exhaust, and fender eliminator kit. I have a cafe style bubble fairing on the way too.

Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Ryanp225,
Looks like fun!^^^

A small update. My next outing on the Yamaha R3 should get me to the 1000 mile mark on the odometer which is when all engine break-in RPM and throttle/power restrictions go away.
I did change the oil & filter at 600 miles using conventional oil. I also added a blue anodized titanium oil drain plug with a neodymium magnet.
I also adjusted the shift light turn on point from 11,000 RPM up to 12,000 RPM. (redline is 12,500 RPM)
At 1600 miles I will do another oil & filter change using full synthetic racing oil.

I haven't had a motorcycle with chain drive for many years now and had kind of pleasantly forgotten about chain maintenance.
When it comes to tools, I am the cry once, buy once guy.
My brother recommended the Pit Bull brand of motorcycle maintenance stands so I picked one up.
The Yamaha R3 has the factory installed mounting points for rear spools, so I added a set of black delrin rear spools to the order when I bought the maintenance stand.

It's real difficult cleaning, lubricating, and adjusting the chain with the rear tire on the ground! That's my little helper Hagar, he likes going out to the shop.

IMG_20230603_161602888a_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20230603_161627050_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20230427_140226396_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Instructor

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Those lifts are absolutely essential for any and all maintenance tasks. I use mine quite a bit.
I'm doing the first oil change on mine tonight also.
Any track days planned for the R3 or are you just sticking to the streets?

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Agreed the track stand makes a nice difference.
Had one for the Vulcan, was a bit of a chore to get it lifted due to license plate interference, but it also made for a bit of extra garage space. Really came in handy when I had it & the Indian in the garage.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15359 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
No track days for me, I wouldn't do it without full leathers.
I'm also solidly into senior citizen territory, my bones heal slowly and painfully.
Here at my location we have a abundance of "twisties" within an hour's ride.
It's common for us to go ride them and go at the speed limit in one direction for checking the quality/safety of the road, and then turn around and ride the same road in the opposite direction in a significantly more "spirited" manner.

I was out last week doing that and came across a basketball sized boulder in the driving lane.

I haven't ridden the Yamaha R3 yet at night. I do need to try it in case I ever run late heading back home during a riding adventure.

Both the low and high beam headlights on the R3 are LED, but you just never know how good the headlights are at night until you ride at night out in the country.

I made a significant monetary investment on my Harley Road King with LED headlights and driving/spot lights. It's a huge improvement from the factory incandescent bulbs.

NRA Instructor

Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I haven't had a motorcycle with chain drive for many years now and had kind of pleasantly forgotten about chain maintenance.
When it comes to tools, I am the cry once, buy once guy.
My brother recommended the Pit Bull brand of motorcycle maintenance stands so I picked one up.
The Yamaha R3 has the factory installed mounting points for rear spools, so I added a set of black delrin rear spools to the order when I bought the maintenance stand.

It's real difficult cleaning, lubricating, and adjusting the chain with the rear tire on the ground!

I picked up a 2019 Ninja 400 a couple years ago as a bike to teach my daughter how to ride, and, as it's kind of turned out, a second bike for me. Like you, I hadn't had a bike with a chain for a while, so, yep, found too that those rear spools and stand are essential items, especially for us slightly older types. I still vastly prefer the maintenance-free (other than scheduled inspections) shaft drive of my '20 BMW R1250R, but I suppose chain maintenance isn't too bad if you just keep up on it.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Agreed!
I've never owned a shaft drive motorcycle, but have done some maintenance/repairs on one.

Shaft drive does add one or more horsepower stealing right angle gear sets. (depends on crankshaft orientation) and significant mechanical complexity.

Chain drive is efficient and simple but has higher maintenance.

What has really surprised me is the Kevlar toothed belts on the Harleys.
My 1995 Sportster which I no longer own had the original belt on it when I sold it several years ago. 50k miles and no problems.
My Road King has 26k on it now and the belt still looks like new. The adjustment never changes.

NRA Instructor

Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Agreed!
I've never owned a shaft drive motorcycle, but have done some maintenance/repairs on one.

Shaft drive does add one or more horsepower stealing right angle gear sets. (depends on crankshaft orientation) and significant mechanical complexity.

My 1995 Sportster which I no longer own had the original belt on it when I sold it several years ago. 50k miles and no problems.
My Road King has 26k on it now and the belt still looks like new. The adjustment never changes.

Yes, unfortunately there's no perfect design...shaft is more convenient but loses a bit of horsepower, while chain requires effort but is more power efficient. As you mention, belt seems a nice compromise...I had a 2012 Triumph Thunderbird 1600 (their foray into the big cruiser market) and it had the toothed belt...some owners reported periodic adjustments were needed, but mine stayed straight and true and was indestructible (and maintenance-free!) in four years I had it. And, like chains, I assume the power transfer was very efficient.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Agreed!

My father-in-law has a 2001 Indian Scout (HD Softtail clone) that the prior owner converted to chain drive.
Had one of the rear sprocket bolts back out & bend the swingarm (luckily at a stop light & not at 70mph) Eek

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15359 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Have you adjusted your rear preload yet? Factory setting should be on 3, I bumped mine up to 4 last week. Feels a bit more nimble.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I have not adjusted my rear spring preload. I like it where it is and it's firm enough.
I won't ever need to worry about setting it up higher for a passenger. Nobody rides the R3 but me.

NRA Instructor