SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    1960's road rallies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1960's road rallies Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
Going through some of my dads stuff tonight, and came across this Steven's Rally Indicator. I know my mom and dad used to participate in road rallies in my dad's Alfa Romeo back in the early 60's, before us kids came along, but I have no idea what a road rally is. Anyone here remember them? What were they about?

Dad's Alfa Romeo that he had to sell once my brother was born:

Stevens Rally Indicator

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
There were different types of rallies. Looks like your folks were doing TSD (Time, Speed, Distance). In this type, your target was the "official" time and speed over a prescribed route. There were checkpoints along the way, with rally judges at the checkpoints to log your time at each checkpoint.

Slower than the "official" speed? You lose points.

Faster than the "official" speed? You lose points.

The Rally Indicator in the second photo is a circular slide rule, with scales specifically for calculating time-speed-distance problems. Another essential tool was the stopwatch, shown on the cover of book of tables.

Those rallys were a lot of fun. I too, did them in the 1960s, first in my Karman Ghia, then in my 356B Porsche.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30711 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Me & a buddy did a couple small 1966-67 era on my 305 Super Hawk. Their version of the speed-distance-course was rather crudely measured, with the miles added to odometer, follow mimeographed (!) instructions between certain check points, accumulate "greenies" (a 2"x6" strip of craft paper) left somewhat non-prominently stashed within a certain target zone. They could be prominent and easy to find, or harder to locate. All time added up to final total. These greenies had to total the right number with the right miles and time to win anything. Lotsa fun but not well organized either.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Yes, we used to do these TSD rally's in our MG and TR-3. Circular slide rule, until the Curta came along >>

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Great looking car, seems to be a '62 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider Veloce

Kind of Porsche/VW Karmann Ghia through Italian eyes.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8356 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Road rallies are still happening.

https://www.scca.com/pages/road-rally

Posts: 886 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Great looking car, seems to be a '62 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider Veloce

Kind of Porsche/VW Karmann Ghia through Italian eyes.

I believe you're right. One of my dad's greatest regrets was having to sell that car. 18 years ago, when he was dying of cancer, we tried to locate the owner to see if he was interested in selling it, but no luck.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
..we tried to locate the owner to see if he was interested in selling it, but no luck.

I posted that late last night and can't find it again. I'm pretty sure the pic showed a car that had sold for $125,000.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8356 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
Me & a buddy did a couple small 1966-67 era on my 305 Super Hawk. Their version of the speed-distance-course was rather crudely measured, with the miles added to odometer, follow mimeographed (!) instructions between certain check points, accumulate "greenies" (a 2"x6" strip of craft paper) left somewhat non-prominently stashed within a certain target zone. They could be prominent and easy to find, or harder to locate. All time added up to final total. These greenies had to total the right number with the right miles and time to win anything. Lotsa fun but not well organized either.

1968-69 I used to compete in enduro runs on motorcycles. Similar to what the op did except on sand,mud, fire trails, mud, two tracks, mud, crossing streams,mud, paved roads, mud,hills, mud,did I forget to mention mud?

Anyway, to hit the checkpoints “on time” we had to maintain an average sped of 25 mph. Sounds easy but to make average you usually run flat out. Points lost for late or early arrival at check points, disqualified if you arrive at a checkpoint over one hour late from your allotted time.

They were a lot of fun in my teen years, almost started running them again in my mid twenties bud decided that I didn’t flex and heal as quickly as I used to even then so common sense won out.

My enduro bike was a modified 305 Honda Scrambler, thing was like a tractor, nothing would stop it.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8116 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
4x5, that is a great looking car your dad had!

Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dad's Alfa Romeo that he had to sell once my brother was born

That must have been tough for him but it was probably the right thing to do at the time. It's a gorgeous coupe.

We believe arming our fellow Americans – both physically and philosophically – helps them fulfill our Founding Fathers' intent with the Second Amendment: To serve as a check on state power.

Posts: 280 | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post