SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Binoculars recomendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Binoculars recomendations Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted
I have a BIL that lives in the Mountains of Colorado. He was asking me what a good brand of binocs are and I really didn't have any idea except stieners.

All you glass experts out there. what should I recomend for him. He would be using them in his house or vehicle. Best sub 300 dollar kit? and go!

Posts: 7800 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
I found this looking at a "Best Binoculars of 2021" web site. $300 on Amazon. Rated highly.
Upland Optics Perception HD 10x42mm Hunting Binoculars

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I just do not feel spending $300 is a good idea when it comes to bino's. $600 is the minimum if you want something that is actually a decent optic.
And even at that to get a good pair you will be looking at a used pair. Go to Rokslide and look at their classifieds. You can find use Meopta or similar. in that price range. Otherwise you are just wasting your money imho.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a “glass expert” by any measure but I’ve tried serval different brands through friends and family and wound up getting a set of Nikon Monarch 7 10x42 and am very satisfied with them.

Posts: 198 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
need way more info on what is the use of these to have any actual useful help.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
This subforum is great place to research answers to your question:
https://www.birdforum.net/forums/binoculars.112/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you look at Canon IS binoc's. I'm on my 2nd set. Nothing wrong with the first set, but they're 10x42s. I was so impressed that after about 10 years I sprung for a set of 15x50s. The normal rules don't apply because the stabilization takes care of any shakes. I was so impressed with the 10x that I spent a bundle on 15x, and the gamble paid off. I spend a bunch of time looking out the front door, and I can do things I never expected. They're rock steady. I highly recommend them.

My normal viewing is 1/2 mile or greater, and they're really good. Its the stabilization that makes them better than normal ones. If you can find a retailer that stocks them, go try them out.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Earlier this year I purchased a Vortex Razor UHD 8x42 Binocular. I used it recently on my 9 state Western US trip which included the Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon.

I'm very happy with my purchase. Great glass and clarity. For my purposes, these are the Bino's.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by emac:
Nikon Monarch 7 10x42 and am very satisfied with them.

This is going to be the general consensus. Many may argue the the 8X are better than the 10X, but owning both, I can tell you that they are both top notch.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I’m curious: Nikon is stopping production of cameras, apparently, and has stopped production of rifle scopes. I presume that will be true of binoculars as well, although I haven’t read that anywhere.

My last purchase was a pair of Zeiss compacts for our trip to New Zealand. In very happy with them, they cost IIRC about $900. Full-Size Zeiss binocs are about $2500.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Interesting. If Nikon is getting out of cameras and scopes what is going to be left of their business?

I still have my Nikon F-body and FE body along with about 30 pounds of lenses

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by emac:
Not a “glass expert” by any measure but I’ve tried serval different brands through friends and family and wound up getting a set of Nikon Monarch 7 10x42 and am very satisfied with them.

I have the monarchs also happy with them

Posts: 435 | Location: rocky river ohio | Registered: February 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
I agree with an earlier poster that intended use is important to get good recommendations.

However, for a good general use bino I would seriously consider Maven. They are a direct to consumer business, based in Wyoming, and their C.1 series performs well above their price point of about $350.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 335 | Location: Buffalo, WY | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nikon or Vortex. I have both. The Nikons are a shade better. Dont be fooled by Amazon binocs. I bought a highly rated pair and as soon as I used them in the rain, they fogged internally and I had quite a time getting them dried out.
If $$$ was not a factor, I would go Swarovski.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veni,vidi,Vici
Picture of Campusninja
posted Hide Post
Consider the Meopta Optika line. They are made in the Czech Republic and should be in the $300 range you are looking for.

Posts: 1260 | Location: Michigan | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Campusninja is spot on! I would recommend the exact same bino. For a tad over $300, the Optika HD bino will allow you to see that your $ is clearly (pun) well spent! I have been using a pair for almost 2 years now and they have been through the wringer, dropped multiple times (not by me), left outside on a shooting bench during a mini OK blizzard, bounced around, and even submerged with zero issues. There is a reason Meopta is known for the glass and quality construction and you will understand as soon as you pick up a pair. Easy to find on the internet and if you pick up the phone you might even save shipping/taxes. If you are Mil/LE/First Responder, Meopta offers those folks a nice thank you for your service discount. My son is Mil and it is much appreciated.

Posts: 58 | Location: North Texas | Registered: December 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of 8x42 Pentax that have been great. These stay in my Jeep and we use them constantly for birds , wildlife etc. I bought a pair of Sig 10x42 for the house, I like them, they were on sale for $199.00, no complaints. I have another pair if 8x42 from a defunct Chinese company, ZenRay, I like them, work fine, wife does not.

Friends have been very happy with Carson brand, the 8x42 are what they have, I've used them and can't see any reason I wouldn't try if I was buying again.

I really can't justify spending the money for Swarovski or Leica unless you're always in bad weather, low light. I've really been fine in the $200-$400 range.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Leupold "Mesa's" 10x23, Leopold claims they are waterproof (I have verified that). Great for carrying on hikes, walks and boating.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
Once you go "image stabilized" you never go back. NOTHING compares...........without it you might as well like a Model"T" as well.

Posts: 174 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I’m curious: Nikon is stopping production of cameras, apparently, and has stopped production of rifle scopes. I presume that will be true of binoculars as well, although I haven’t read that anywhere.

My last purchase was a pair of Zeiss compacts for our trip to New Zealand. In very happy with them, they cost IIRC about $900. Full-Size Zeiss binocs are about $2500.

I believe they are just moving camera manufacturing to Thailand, not ending production, based on this:

https://nikonrumors.com/2020/1...he-end-of-2021.aspx/

They did exit the rifle scope industry, but still produce binoculars (according to internet search).

I do love my Nikon binos, they are great.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post