SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trout fishermen, please step in. Questions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trout fishermen, please step in. Questions Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
I am going trout fishing next week. I have never been fishing for trout. My forte is bass, crappie, walleye, etc.

I am going to use my ultralight gear, not fly fishing. Seems to be a pretty good area for Cutthroat trout.

Can you recommend hook size and bait?

I don't expect to catch anything, but looking forward to getting outside, camp fires, and beer and bourbon.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7293 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Trout love those little Kastmasters & Mepps spinners. If you're talking about just throwing some bait, I'd lean toward a #6 or #8 hook, depending on the size fish you locate. They're small enough to bite, but not so small as to make them a hassle to use. Powerbait for the uninitiated is productive & easy to use. If you're using bait, I've found rigging it as a dropshot to be effective.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5545 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's catch and release, spinners will work. Rooster tail or gold spoon have been most effective for me on NC Rainbows. If you can use bait, we've had good results with Power Bait over the years.

Posts: 1369 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I fly fish for trout, so won’t be much help on the bait and hooks but will do my best. First, for the most part trout are a lazy fish that lets the meals come to them. They tend to be finicky and only eat what they feel like eating as it passes close enough by to slurp up. On the occasions that I was successful bait fishing as a kid for trout I used salmon eggs, worms on weighted hooks, or Rooster tail lures pulled diagonally through deeper pools. I find that you need to use the river and running water to your advantage. Second, if you’re fishing mostly stockers, bait that looks like dog/cat food will usually get the fish to bite. I know several guides that use them when they can’t get clients to land a fish and affectionately refer to them as “wood beetles“. It’s what the trout farms feed the fish to be released.

Best of luck on your outing.

DK

Posts: 3031 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I don't get out much anymore, but when I was a die hard confirmed trout bum I switched from spin fishing to fly fishing, which I vastly prefer.

You will want to check the local regs for the specific area you are fishing as, in some cases, they dictate what types of gear are allowed. Our Gold Medal designated waters are Catch & Release, Flies & Lures ONLY.

Even if you aren't constrained by regs. it also depends on whether you are fishing lakes or streams, or from shore, while wading, or from a boat.

Generally speaking, depending on conditions, lures, salmon eggs, and worms will work...or you might consider spin fishing with a bubble/ fly set up.

Depending on the species and location you may hook into spawners, which might dictate different fish behavior and tactics.

If you are wading please be careful of the redds!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have always had the best luck with spoons like the little cleo or kastmasters.

Posts: 10045 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
You can also use a clear bobber and leave about 5 feet of line to it and tie a fly to it. Let the bobber float to your spot. Works well if your lures are not working.Good video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtCnkFoGJdo

Posts: 2344 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
you can always bobber fish with worms or grasshoppers.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19769 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Been a long time since I have been trout fishing but whenever I went with my grandfather outside of Branson Missouri he had these little jars of things called trout eggs.
We ate lots and lots of Rainbow Trout thanks to those things.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I will only add that -if you are not planning on keeping/eating the trout- that you consider flattening the barb on your hooks. Makes it easier to remove the hook from the fish, and doesn't tear up their mouths as much.
Otherwise...enjoy.

Posts: 3865 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Great time of year to fish for trout. Much better than the hot days of summer. I am a fly-fisherman, but if you want easy bait-fishing try Power Bait. Its the go-to on opening day for families with kids. Agree you should crimp your barbs if you don't plan on keeping and eating the trout.

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Lots of great advice...

I would add, if you are used to bass, you do not set a hook in trout like you do in bass. You will rip their lips ( whatever they are) off their face, rendering it nonsurvivable.

When you have a fish on, just keep tension on line.

Just my experience with rainbow trout in Colorado. Not sure honestly how they compare to cutthroat trout.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
you can catch more trout then you could eat in a lifetime watch the videos, I use this for steelhead but works the same for trout.

bobber and bead it's a killer set up here in the pnw.

https://bnrtackle.com/product-category/soft-beads/

https://www.youtube.com/c/AddictedFishing/videos

Posts: 5678 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trout (Fly) fishing is the golf of fishing.
Beware! If you try it and like it, prepare to spend $$$.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
When I baitfished for trout the best bait I used was minnows. If you are going to use live bait I would suggest giving them a try. I didn't know there were cutthroats in Arkansas.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've used little meps spinners. Match the color to the water. Clear, use silver, a little murky use gold. Cast up stream and gently retrieve towards you with just enough speed to rotate the spinner blade. Too fast and you'll pull it away from fish hiding in the eddies. Too slow and there's no action on the bait. Since you've bass fished before you probably already know these things, but with trout it's smaller and slower.

In gentle flowing streams, you can catch a lot with a simple hook, one split shot and baited with a nightcrawler or common garden worm. Just bury the hook at one end and leave the rest untethered. Cast up stream and let it drift down and past you if need be before retrieving. This is NOT a good method for catch and release though as many times the fish will swollen the free floating worm so keep this in mind.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Some Gitzit jigs especially in silver fleck color 1/8 oz or so can be deadly too.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10994 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
You can also use a clear bobber and leave about 5 feet of line to it and tie a fly to it. Let the bobber float to your spot. Works well if your lures are not working.Good video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtCnkFoGJdo

This is what I do when using spinning gear for trout.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3796 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
If I'm going to catch planters from a hatchery I'll use artificial eggs on a #6 hook.

If I'm going catch & release for natives I'll use a lure. Either a rooster tail or Kastmaster.

Ask questions at your local sporting goods store or lookup a web site that has info on where you are going.

Enjoy
Cheers~

Posts: 922 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually have good luck with the brown, black or green Mepps Aglia wolly worm 1/12oz. I've used it in fast and slow water. My spinning rod for trout is a 5'6 UL fast action using 2-4lb test it works great for the lighter lures.

Posts: 591 | Location: Missouri | Registered: September 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post