SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for those using a sleep apnea machine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for those using a sleep apnea machine Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
When you wake up in the mornings do you have to blow your nose several times? Every morning I blow my nose 4-5 times within the first hour of waking up.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. Mine has a filter and humidifier built in.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I first started using it, I got stuffed up. Try some saline spray to clear it up.
Got the humidity right & it went away over time. I think I was running it too dry, but adding humidity caused the air to feel stuffy & claustrophobic.
Allergies seemed to act up the 1st spring I used it as well, now i don't notice a difference from before (mild to moderate, I grab a sudafed on occasion).

3/4 (of 10 levels) in summer, 5/6 when it's cold & dry. When it's static-season (late January), maybe 7/8

Posts: 3299 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also a no here, been using a CPAP since 1999. For the last 10 years or so, with a humidifier. Before getting diagnosed, I did have similar nasal issues, and I had surgery for a deviated septum as well. That was the part of the fix as well.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1529 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Been using a CPAP since '97. Over the years tried with the humidifier on, humidifier off, heated tube on, heated tube off, saline sprays, well you name it...the whole gamut.

Used to get stuffy in the am. Best cure has been Rhinase nasal gel. A dab in each nostril at bedtime and no dryness or build up of any kind during the night.

https://rhinase.com/collection...ity-no-aloe-no-smell

Heated tube in the winter and humidifier year round with a low setting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16257 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Yes. Mine has a humidifier and filter built in.

For me, it’s not the machine, it’s allergies.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10499 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
yes...Every morning I have to blow my nose...

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3496 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Been using one for about 15 years now with no problems.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 879 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
Nope. Mine has a filter and humidifier built in.

What Some Shot said.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7659 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Been on a ResMed auto CPAP for a year. First I had my deviated septum repaired and turbinates reduced, and after I could actually breathe went to the CPAP.

Most mornings I get up with no need to blow my nose, maybe once a month I do.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Sometimes. More so when i use the humidifier then when i run it without the humidifier which is probably 90% of the time.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3855 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
No, I wake up with very clear sinus and breathing. It does get worse later though..

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
No. I have to take a piss but I don't think that's CPAP related.

I also have an air filter and humidifier.

Aside: I use a nasal mask. Rarely, when I have a bad cold and congestion, I use a full-face mask.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
I use a full mask and and filter, but stopped using the humidifier years ago. I don't remember having to blow my nose with the humidifier, but certainly not now without it.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2543 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Been using one since 2011, has filter and humidifier and haven't had that problem.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Mine has a filter and humidifier but I still have to blow my nose when I wake up.

Posts: 6957 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post