SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Please keep the Burnsville, MN Police and Fire Department in your hearts this evening: 3 killed in domestic dispute call this morning.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please keep the Burnsville, MN Police and Fire Department in your hearts this evening: 3 killed in domestic dispute call this morning. Login/Join 
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by NOCkid:
quote:
Why can’t murder suicides start with the suicide?

I asked a retired judge that exact question a few years ago. It was his opinion that many times it begins as a murder, then the suicide occurs once the perpetrator grasps the enormity of their action.

I had this exact conversation with the little missus this morning. When the realization that they are truly fucked hits them, it is overwhelming to imagine any other way out of the situation they created.

And often they’ve just destroyed the only connections they had (family, loved ones) so they’ve nothing to live for or to strive towards after they’ve done so much irreversible damage.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have waited a couple of days for more details to come out. The more details that come out, the more it sounds like there were a lot of horrible decisions made before and after shots being fired.

Tragic.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by NOCkid:
quote:
Why can’t murder suicides start with the suicide?

I asked a retired judge that exact question a few years ago. It was his opinion that many times it begins as a murder, then the suicide occurs once the perpetrator grasps the enormity of their action.

I had this exact conversation with the little missus this morning. When the realization that they are truly fucked hits them, it is overwhelming to imagine any other way out of the situation they created.

FWIW: Suicide is for all intents and purposes the murder of oneself and usually involves extreme anger towards others that the subject internalizes. I've been to many scenes of suicides and suicide/homicides, where it's been made abundantly clear by the suicidal person that they are attempting to destroy the life of others he/she holds responsible for their own pain through personal destruction. It's why first responders are generally taught to NOT bring family members to the scene or provide them with a telephone when a "loved one" is threatening to kill themselves. Killing the "loved one" or a cop that's trying to resolve the situation without death or injury is a very real threat. Read a few suicide notes and it's chilling the degree of hatred expressed.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Not to be contrarian but if you are (as iss reported) negotiating for hours the idea you are leery when you go is somewhat not relevant. They knew (or should have known) the circumstances they were facing.

You never know what can happen on any call. One minute everything is fine, the next it isn't.

From what little info we have, the medic was on the swat team and is utilized as a swat officer being commanded by the OIC. We will have to wait and see when they release info. as far as what actually went down.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Been confirmed the shooter was sexually assaulting one of the seven kids in the home which is what brought the police to the scene initially.
Link

Police spent 3.5 hours negotiating with the shooter

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
and suicide/homicides,

If only everyone who was going to do both got this ordering correct.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your sacrifices, gentlemen.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
"It would be nice if elected officials could care about cops before they're dead."

- Sheriff Bob Fletcher
Ramsey County - MN

Minnesota Sheriff Slams Officials for Only Caring About Officers When They are Killed

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Girlfriend of Minnesota man who fatally shot 3 first responders indicted for straw purchasing firearms

Story by Mara H. Gottfried, Pioneer Press • 2h •

ST PAUL, Minn. — Since three Burnsville first responders were killed in the line of duty nearly a month ago, law enforcement and the public have been asking how a felon with a lifetime ban on possessing firearms obtained the murder weapons. On Thursday, U.S. Attorney for Minnesota Andrew Luger said they can answer that question.

Ashley Anne Dyrdahl, the gunman’s longtime, live-in girlfriend, has been indicted for straw purchasing firearms used in the killings, Luger announced.

Shannon Gooden, 38, used two AR-15 style firearms to fatally shoot Burnsville police officers Matthew Ruge and Paul Elmstrand and Burnsville firefighter/paramedic Adam Finseth, and to injure Burnsville police Sgt. Adam Medlicott. Those weapons were purchased by Dyrdahl, 35, on Jan. 5 and Jan. 25, according to Luger.

Her attorney, speaking during a Thursday afternoon court appearance for Dyrdahl, said she is pleading not guilty to the 11 charges...

Complete article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...firearms/ar-BB1jUK1j

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Good.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Her attorney, speaking during a Thursday afternoon court appearance for Dyrdahl, said she is pleading not guilty to the 11 charges...

Good luck with that. She can't say she didn't know he was prohibited.

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have seen it over and over, some woman with no record looking at handguns while her felon man whispers at her over her shoulder.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I would THINK that gun store operators get a bit more leeway with discriminating against customers, but after that bakery thing, I'm not sure.

Can a dealer simply tell an obvious (at least to my eyes) straw purchaser that they are not going to sell to them?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInAR:

Can a dealer simply tell an obvious (at least to my eyes) straw purchaser that they are not going to sell to them?

I work at our LGS and have denied selling to questionable customers as described. I’m not risking the FFL license for the owners to make them a couple bucks…..not worth it and the owners fully support that decision when it’s made.

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:

The state of Minnesota seems to think so…

Minnesota now alleging Fleet Farm violated state gun control act when it sold firearms to straw buyers

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison has updated a lawsuit against the Fleet Farm retail chain to include allegations that the retailer violated the state's gun control law by repeatedly selling firearms to "straw purchasers" who funneled the guns to felons barred from owning them.

U.S. Magistrate Judge John Docherty last week allowed the state to amend its original lawsuit, first filed in 2022, to include the new charge after the Minnesota Supreme Court clarified the scope of Ellison's investigation and enforcement authority in a ruling in an unrelated case.

In a memo to the court, Assistant Attorney General Eric Maloney wrote that Fleet Farm violated the Minnesota Gun Control Act "by transferring firearms to straw purchasers Fleet Farm knew or had reason to know were buying firearms for others, because each of the straw buyers falsely represented that they were the actual buyer in connection with each individual sale."

Minnesota is now seeking civil penalties for each violation of the gun control act and the state's public nuisance statute. Penalties can range as high as $25,000 per violation.

Attorneys for Fleet Farm opposed the change and unsuccessfully argued that Ellison is not empowered to civilly enforce a criminal penalty that is unrelated to consumer protection.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInAR:
I would THINK that gun store operators get a bit more leeway with discriminating against customers, but after that bakery thing, I'm not sure.

Yep. Any FFL can refuse any transaction for any reason per the terms and conditions of their license.

A common one here is most shops will decline a transaction if the person is believed to be under the influence or smells strongly like weed.

www.opspectraining.com

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison has updated a lawsuit against the Fleet Farm retail chain to include allegations that the retailer violated the state's gun control law by repeatedly selling firearms to "straw purchasers" who funneled the guns to felons barred from owning them.

Big box stores are the worst offenders. They hire a lot of really young people and put them at the gun counter. I can’t tell you how many straws I worked where a dude and chick enter the store. The dude looks at three different pistols and says he likes X the best to the clerk. Then dude goes to the end of the counter, counts out cash and gives it to the female. Then
The female approaches the same clerk (who watched him count out the cash and give it to her) and completes the transaction to transfer the gun. And the clerk completes it.

When I was working guns, I could literally go stand in a store a couple of times a week and arrest someone on a straw. They don’t even try to hide it because they know that big box stores will complete the transaction no questions asked.

It was so bad that every so often ATF under covers would come in, complete a blatant straw purchase, and shut the gun counter part down at big boxer. Corporate legal would fight it in court, get their license back, and go right back to doing the same thing.

www.opspectraining.com