SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone have any experience using white noise generators or sound machines?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone have any experience using white noise generators or sound machines? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Rather than go through all this, can’t she speak to the RA and maybe move rooms with someone who isn’t going to be a night owl?

quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
I take an amazon echo dot on the road because I’m a very light sleeper. With people slamming hotel room doors

I noticed this when on travel for work too, WTH is up with that? I think people slam them on purpose or something, once was in a room where someone would do this constantly. BAM BAM BAM BAM, seriously can’t you just let the dammed door shut on it’s own?

Posts: 33839 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
I use one all the time and really like them. Too "quiet" without one now.

The roommate might not like it at first, but when I've had to share rooms with co-workers on the road, they get used to it and some like it.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Rather than go through all this, can’t she speak to the RA and maybe move rooms with someone who isn’t going to be a night owl?

quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
I take an amazon echo dot on the road because I’m a very light sleeper. With people slamming hotel room doors

I noticed this when on travel for work too, WTH is up with that? I think people slam them on purpose or something, once was in a room where someone would do this constantly. BAM BAM BAM BAM, seriously can’t you just let the dammed door shut on it’s own?

People don't slam the doors the doors slam themselves. Hotel door are heavy and made to close on their own coupled with cheap flimsy walls you get the perpertual slam.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25435 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
in a pinch, just adjust a radio to the static between stations. At low volume, it virtually mimics a white noise machine.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
I use a fan. Position between body and noise source if at all possible.

Same here.

Nothing special... $17 box fan from WalMart.

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

People don't slam the doors the doors slam themselves. Hotel door are heavy and made to close on their own coupled with cheap flimsy walls you get the perpertual slam.

While this is true, it’s still very rude. You don’t just let the toilet seat slam down because that’s what gravity does, you lower it. Treat your door the same way, that’s all I’m asking.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
As I've gotten older, sound sleep has become a bit more of a challenge. Just recently started using a Sound + Sleep SE model and I find it works really well. Not cheap but has several different sound options, volume controls, timers, etc. so it can be customized to your preferences. Rainfall and stream work best for me. Beats the hell out of sleeping pills!

Posts: 1988 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AM radio, tuned between stations.
Yes, they seem to work. Just one more thing to do when going to bed, though, and that in itself is another hassle!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem with using a fan is if you have allergies the fan circulates the pollen and dust.

Just give her an 18" machete and a sharpening stone.

One night sitting on the bed sharpening her machete and mumbling "I'm going to get some sleep tonight" should do the trick.

Posts: 659 | Registered: June 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
I can't sleep without one. I like the plain, white noise type. You can have the thunderstorms, ocean waves, rain forest sounds, etc. If no sleep machine, the sound of a fan works well for me.

This. I bought a fancy generator that had all different types of sounds that you could adjust. I tried just about every sound and setting and could never find one that worked as well as the sound of the fan in my bedroom.

So, I ended up just using the fan year round. In the summer I point the fan at me; in the winter, I just point it at the wall. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6421 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
They work great for my kids! 8 months and 2 years old. Big Grin

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
How about plain old foam earplugs? They block a lot of sound. My wife snores, and I use them frequently. (She says I snore, too, and I offer her a pair for herself. Which she doesn't wear.) They are pretty comfortable to start with, and you get accustomed to them quickly.

Separate question: Why is it always girls with roommate problems? They seem to get upset over the smallest things, and then can't work it out between themselves without drama. College age boys seem much better at dealing with roommates. I was assigned a random roommate my freshman year. We would have never been best friends, but we got along fine and coexisted pretty easily. All my nieces had what seemed to them to be terrible roommate problems which, when described to me, seemed like no big deal.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stray Round:
One night sitting on the bed sharpening her machete and mumbling "I'm going to get some sleep tonight" should do the trick.

That might, just might, be considered a micro aggression and set off a trigger warningBig Grin

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I sleep with this every night to help me deal with my Tinitus.

Marpac Dohm-DS All Natural Sound Machine, White

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I've found the electronic versions to make strange, recurring, audio patterns. It depends on the position of your head and where the noise maker is in the room.

The one I prefer is analog.
MARPAC Dohm-DS Dual Speed Electro-Mechanical White Noise Machine / Sound Machine for Sleeping at Home & Travel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002...cp_api_BBv3zb50VVF0B

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EZ_B:
I use THIS.

It has been very effective.

In fact I'm getting ready to go to bed and turn it on.

Says.. "Provides ten fan sounds and ten ambient noise variations, including white noise, pink noise and brown noise"

Eek I've been woken up a time or two from the brown noise.

Posts: 21111 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I have the White Noise app but prefer my old Marpac Sleep Mate, the predecessor of the Marpac Dohm machines mentioned by a couple of others. The one I have must be 15 years old. If it ever wears out, I'll get another Marpac.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Separate question: Why is it always girls with roommate problems? They seem to get upset over the smallest things, and then can't work it out between themselves without drama. College age boys seem much better at dealing with roommates. I was assigned a random roommate my freshman year. We would have never been best friends, but we got along fine and coexisted pretty easily. All my nieces had what seemed to them to be terrible roommate problems which, when described to me, seemed like no big deal.

That is usually true. My two adult daughters relate best to men. They had issues with roommates in college. I did have a difficult random roommate my freshman year. I kicked his ass and the problem was solved. In those days that was no problem in an all male university. Attending an all male college, I learned how to get along with guys. Our social relationships are much simpler. The current male generation is well a little different. The young guys in the military are the same, but these college guys have soft hands and strange ideas.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I use brown noise. It's a deeper tone. There's also pink noise. I use it every night.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If no one has already suggested, she can download an APP for her phone or tablet and use it for white-noise. I hope this helps. Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3071 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post