SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Two Little Boys Have Discovered “The Price Is Right”
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Two Little Boys Have Discovered “The Price Is Right” Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
My two little boys ages 5 and 7 found a Price Is Right channel Roku Channel. Nothing but retro 1970’s and 1980’s Bob Barker episodes 24/7 and they are completely fascinated by it, LMAO!

It’s so much fun seeing all the old clothing fashions and the historical prices are crazy to me; this one prize was a ceiling fan and it’s like 1979 and it’s $600? Can’t you get a really nice ceiling fan right now for like 200 bucks?

I’m also starting to wonder if Bob Barker was “randomly” selecting big breasted women because there seems to be a whole lot of them bouncing and jiggling down that aisle. Big Grin

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I loved that show when I was a kid.

You should watch the documentary “The Perfect Bid” on Netflix. It’s a great doc about a guy who loved the show and memorized all the prices, and went dozens of times to filmings. It’s got great footage of interviews with Bob Barker and some other people associated with the show and gives some information about how people get picked and a little behind the scenes stuff. I’d say it’s family friendly but it’s been a while since I’ve seen it so I may not remember correctly. I’m not sure it would be interesting to kids anyway but I enjoyed it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Can’t you get a really nice ceiling fan right now for like 200 bucks?”

China makes them now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Dian Parkinson graduated from my high school a couple of years ahead of me. For some strange reason, all the girls in my class knew this, but none of the guys.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m also starting to wonder if Bob Barker was “randomly” selecting big breasted women because there seems to be a whole lot of them bouncing and jiggling down that aisle. Big Grin

Vanna White was a contestant... kind of supports your argument.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, my wife and I got to go to a tapping of The Price Is Right. It was during Bob Barkers last year which it made it even more special. Bob doesn't select the contestants, one of the producers does an interview with every person in the audience and picks who gets called.
What really surprised us was how loud it was in the studio. It was so loud that when they call out a name to "come on down", they had the contestants name on a card and showed it to the audience because you could not hear it.
During commercial breaks, Bob would come out and talk to the audience. You could tell that his enthusiasm was genuine and he enjoyed doing the show.
I have also discovered the Price is Right channel that shows the Barker era and enjoy it very much. The new shows are fun also with Drew Cary doing a good job but Bob is a true legend.

Posts: 50 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I lived for that show when I was a kid. Late 70’s I watched it every morning at 10 am. One of the best shows in my opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Diane Parkinson... 45 years later I still have a crush for her.

Do your boys like 'Let's Make a Deal'? 'The Newlywed Game'?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
And of course there was the famous 1977 Wardrobe malfunction on The Price is Right. I miss Tube Tops

Yolandas Wardrobe Malfunction.

Posts: 3560 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:

Do your boys like 'Let's Make a Deal'? 'The Newlywed Game'?

For Me it was Holly

Posts: 3560 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We used to watch when out of school in the summer and of course on snow days. Loved all those original game shows.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bob was 40% better than drew
But I watch it when I am home.

It is very close to being as good as Jeopardy.

I find it much less . . Producible than Jeopardy.
Less likely to be rigged.

Diane is still missed

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Here's the 1st episode of the 70's version for them to watch:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
When cars finally hit 5 digits Big Grin

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:

Those gals were definitely OK, Diane and the other chick that looked like her. I had to look up her name, but Holly Hallstrom was much closer to my speed. Wowee.

Seems like a good reason why Bob always looked happy and contented.

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It’s very fun to look back at the fashions as far as furniture and cars and other things back then from that era, 1970s and 1980s.

A lot of it is just plain God awful.

A solid brass baby cradle? C’MON DOWN! Big Grin

Dudes wearing nut hugging tight khaki shorts with a tucked in button down shirt, knee socks and Nikes? C’MON DOWN! Eek

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
There’s a bit of scandal history about the Price is Right models.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holly_Hallstrom

Dian Parkinson alleged that Barker sexually harassed her and she sued. Barker ordered Holly to go on talk shows and say Dian was lying, but Holly refused and Barker had her dismissed. Holly then countered sued Barker and he settled out of court just before the case was heard. Barker then had the lot of them and other staffers sacked and new folks brought in.

Not everything was happy times on set it would seem.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Seems to be a lot more screaming and shrieking these days.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post