SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lent...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lent... Login/Join 
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted
Everyear each one of our family gives up something for Lent...I gave up meat, my wife gave up carbs, my kids candy.

I am dying for a bowl of pho, steak, bacon, fried chicken, crispy pork belly...

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6061 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
thats a toughie. do you count fish as meat?

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have not given up anything other than meat on Friday this year but we have tried to reflect on the season.

Little side note. I grew up south of Detroit, called downriver. During lent many service groups, Moose, Chamber of Commerce, etc. serve muskrat dinners. It seems that during the depression they received a pass on no meat on Friday. I keep telling my boys that we need to go down and partake but they always seem soooo busy.

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
Excellent! I gave up Starbucks with my wife (easy for me I don't go out much), and some time every evening to read the bible. I'm not doing so great with the reading right now, I've had to take it to work and read during lunch and other times I know I'll just be sitting around.

My kids all wanted to give up some sort of food, but I have 4 children and we decided that would have a very negative impact on dinner. We told them it had to be something that wouldn't impact other people or normal daily activities.

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1214 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
No potatoes for me.

I love potatoes. Especially fried ones, in all the various formats.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:

...I am dying for a bowl of pho, steak, bacon, fried chicken, crispy pork belly...

You Cali Viets add funny things to your pho...

Wink

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Let's see; no meat, no carbs, and no candy. You do know that Lent is 40 days long plus Sundays, right? Smile Hey good on you all.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1727 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The quiet druid
Picture of orion5
posted Hide Post
I gave up eating. Cool Actually, started a diet on the first day. Have lost 21 pounds so far. Will go well beyond Lent, but a great reason to start.

o5

Posts: 746 | Location: Roanoke-ish | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
David, thank you for starting this thread.

I use to start a Lent thread, but it often was filled with somewhat disrespectful or perceived comedic comments.

While not the strictest of Catholics, I do observe Lent.

For me it is not only about self-denial, but also seeing that someone is able to benefit from my sacrifice.

For the past 20 years, I have given up alcohol. For the past 10, I have given up alcohol, fast food, candy and sodas.

I do not partake in the Sunday exclusion, I give it up altogether, during that period.

I do set aside the money I would have spent on those items from Ash Wednesday-Good Friday and give that money to a charity.

This year, it looks like the total will be about $250.00. I will send that money to fight Huntington’s Disease. This is a disease that has afflicted my EMT Instructor.

I feel better after drying out my liver, loosing some weight and knowing the money will be spent fighting a terrible, terrible disease.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36897 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't have to give up anything, cause my wife gave up sex. Big Grin

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
I am eating a bowl of Pho as I read this.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3809 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I gave up alcohol for lent and carbs. I also added giving food to the homeless every week.

(Btw, In before someone says they gave up Catholicism).

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
Everyear each one of our family gives up something for Lent...I gave up meat, my wife gave up carbs, my kids candy.

I am dying for a bowl of pho, steak, bacon, fried chicken, crispy pork belly...

One thing I could NOT give up is meat....oh wait, there are two things I could NOT give up.
Not eating between meals is killing me. Our battery is dead in our scales, but think I lost at least 10 lbs, maybe more.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Absolutely Positively-
Retired
Picture of ace73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pal:
We have not given up anything other than meat on Friday this year but we have tried to reflect on the season.

Little side note. I grew up south of Detroit, called downriver. During lent many service groups, Moose, Chamber of Commerce, etc. serve muskrat dinners. It seems that during the depression they received a pass on no meat on Friday. I keep telling my boys that we need to go down and partake but they always seem soooo busy.

Jim

I'll have to check, but I think they stopped serving muskrat!

I gave up pop and chocolate!

Posts: 1187 | Location: Detroit/Downriver | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Now I want some pho. It seems I inadvertently gave it up.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I've been eating fish 'n chips every Friday. Does that count for something? Absolution for all the bad things I have planned for the weekend?

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Only this year did I learn the meaning of Lent. I am served dinners every day by people from 4 Catholic Churches. This is how it's been for a while now. I am grateful they are there. We are asked to offer prayer requests when we leave. A Nun, hope I used that correctly, visits once per month, Sister Theresa. I bet she is not 110 pounds, she is elderly. I am simply awwed to speak with her on my way out. She has a powerful presence.

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I gave up alcohol.

I'm a pretty moderate social drinker, but as soon as I gave up alcohol for Lent, I feel like having a drink every night.

Strange how that works. Razz

Posts: 6568 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ace,

I've had several pictures sent to me on facebook of dinners still going on. One in Rockwood was serving turtle soup along with the muskrat.

When I was living there I trapped and we sold the meat for $1.00 per three rats, probably dating myself. My Mom would also cook it at home when there was a need.

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
David, thank you for starting this thread.

I use to start a Lent thread, but it often was filled with somewhat disrespectful or perceived comedic comments.

While not the strictest of Catholics, I do observe Lent.

For me it is not only about self-denial, but also seeing that someone is able to benefit from my sacrifice.

For the past 20 years, I have given up alcohol. For the past 10, I have given up alcohol, fast food, candy and sodas.

I do not partake in the Sunday exclusion, I give it up altogether, during that period.

I do set aside the money I would have spent on those items from Ash Wednesday-Good Friday and give that money to a charity.

This year, it looks like the total will be about $250.00. I will send that money to fight Huntington’s Disease. This is a disease that has afflicted my EMT Instructor.

I feel better after drying out my liver, loosing some weight and knowing the money will be spent fighting a terrible, terrible disease.

We're not eating meat on Friday and that's about it. You're an inspiration, and I mean that

Posts: 13565 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post