SIGforum
Most common ancestry in every state

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3340005544

August 08, 2018, 08:08 PM
deepocean
Most common ancestry in every state
I would never have guessed Italian families had NY and NJ covered.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: deepocean,
August 08, 2018, 08:27 PM
henryaz

BS on the red states. The most common ancestry there is Southern American.

August 08, 2018, 08:28 PM
trapper189
My ancestors came from Prussia.
August 08, 2018, 08:50 PM
.38supersig
Well crap.

Africa = Continent. What continent is Mexico? Germany? Didn't know Italy was that big. How is United States an ancestry? Did they start manufacturing DNA people less than 200 years ago? And I'm supposed to trust them with business info? WTF!

The data came from IPUMS. Stands for Idiotic People Undermining Meaningless Shit? Now I know where all of the ENRON statisticians work. Betty Crocker couldn't cook data that much. Confused

So If I can trace my ancestry in Georgia through 1735, would that make me a Precolonialerianistic Post-Vestpucian?

August 08, 2018, 09:14 PM
m1009
What about Polish? And Hungarian? And Czech, etc. I think they’re missing a lot of other nationalities there.
August 08, 2018, 09:19 PM
TigerDore
English would win out in a high number of states. That chart is ridiculous.
August 09, 2018, 07:45 AM
ranger312
The chart is entitled "Most common." That does not mean majority. Follow the link to the Economist article posted by 2BobTanner. It only talks about German, but is very similar to the map posted.

Still, the amount of German surprised me, and I'm 100%.
August 09, 2018, 07:52 AM
fpuhan
When I was younger, I remember hearing a story (Paul Harvey's Rest of the Story?) about how the early settlers were in disagreement over what the "national language" of the new country would be, German or English. A vote was held and by one vote - cast by a German speaker - English was chosen.

His reasoning: He felt a complete disconnection from the "old country" was necessary to make this new one work.

I can't find any Google confirmation of this, though.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member