SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suitcase for flying with firearm and gps tracking question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suitcase for flying with firearm and gps tracking question Login/Join 
Picture of kg5388
posted
Flying to Minnesota in may. Looking for recommendations for luggage for carrying my pistol with me. I have some old basic soft sided suitcases that I use as most of my tools and computer stuff are shipped. This trip is just me and my luggage so I need some suggestions. I was told to stay away from hard cases as they break when dropped.

Also was thinking about putting one of those tracker chips like you put on your keys in the gun case. If it comes up missing it would be easier to find. Do they work well? Been thinking about getting one for the wife’s keys as she looses them daily.

Posts: 1847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I always go with a hard case inside of a nondescript soft suitcase. It seems to work.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I always go with a hard case inside of a nondescript soft suitcase. It seems to work.

Bruce

What Bruce said. Done this every time I fly. I've packed my hardcase with 3 firearms, small cleaning kit, boxed ammo, a couple of folding knives, cigar cutters, and cigar lighters. Never had any problems. My hard cases are a bit bigger then what is showing, and they are lockable.

Into something like this.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7660 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
For one handgun, I use a Gun Vault NV 300 looping one end of the cable around the frame of a soft side side bag. For more than one, I use a Pelican rifle case with the foam removed and pack my clothes inside as well. TSA opens all checked luggage with computers or tablets, so don't pack these in the rifle case. If you do, be sure to listen for your name to be called over the PA so you can unlock your non-TSA locks and let them have a peek.

Posts: 11027 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
quote:

Bruce

What Bruce said. Done this every time I fly. I've packed my hardcase with 3 firearms, small cleaning kit, boxed ammo, a couple of folding knives, cigar cutters, and cigar lighters. Never had any problems. My hard cases are a bit bigger then what is showing, and they are lockable.

Into something like this.

I have been using a similar system for years. I also use a bicycle cable lock to lock the hard case to the suitcase frame

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
Here ya go...

https://opspectraining.com/tra...asses-with-firearms/

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When traveling to matches I do something similar to what Cliff posted and then secure the case to the outer suitcase with a thick bicycle cable and two locks.

If you are flying Delta into MN you will need to go to the baggage office to get the bag and you will be given your bag with a couple very heavy duty zip ties wrapped around the bag for your safety. Roll Eyes

Make sure you have a finger nail clipper or similar on you so that can cut that thing off right away so the entire airport doesn't see you have a gun.

I've stood right in baggage claim and cut mine off when returning from matches.

Posts: 2490 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Have a pelican case for my pistol and a separate one for ammo. Once got the “they can’t be in the same box.”
Main thing is luggage as mine is very very old no name brand and shopping for luggage is a pain how do you know which ones are worth $250 and which are better for less. How do you trust reviews as they always have this is the greatest and the luggage handlers says it’s the only one that doesn’t break. Who ever talks to the luggage handlers? Other reviewers say it sucks and broke first trip.

Posts: 1847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
When we traveled and I took my pistol, we used Samsonite suitcases. Hard cases, and you could lock them. One a couple trips out to Idaho, we took an army footlocker, a real one, not those plywood crappy ones.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too am doing this for the first time in April, using a lockable (TWO locks) Sig case inside a softside suitcase.

I will bring a hard copy of the rules just in case I need to assist the airline check in people:

https://www.united.com/web/en-.../baggage/sports.aspx

Posts: 15912 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
We bought a few of the "Away" suitcases, hard side, and durable. We picked one up after our Christmas flight and one corner was caved in about like half a tennis ball. Those Asshole had to have dropped it off the cart or out of the airplane.

https://www.awaytravel.com/sho...2EAAYASAAEgKPN_D_BwE

Took two hammers, one handle against the inside protrusion and whacked it back it almost new condition. No tears or the like. They are guaranteed for life not to split but don't warranty cosmetic damage that doesn't prevent use.

As far as those trackers, I bought several to give away. The operate off bluetooth and you have to be within range to get a signal to track. So, not really practical as a Tracker despite the TrackR name. They will however, give you a notice if the item you are looking for passes within range of someone else's bluetooth. Last known location, type of notice. I have gotten several notices of thank you for helping someone else find their device.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I'll add two tips.
On the outside of your pistol case (inside your main case) I always tape a tag stating, "passenger contact number (cell number)"

Also, have in your carry on print outs of the regs both from TSA and the airline you;re flying... just so you can show them in the not unlikely event that they try telling you something that ain't so.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bruce

This.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kg5388:
Flying to Minnesota in may. Looking for recommendations for luggage for carrying my pistol with me. I have some old basic soft sided suitcases that I use as most of my tools and computer stuff are shipped. This trip is just me and my luggage so I need some suggestions. I was told to stay away from hard cases as they break when dropped.

Also was thinking about putting one of those tracker chips like you put on your keys in the gun case. If it comes up missing it would be easier to find. Do they work well? Been thinking about getting one for the wife’s keys as she looses them daily.
Most of the key trackers I have seen need to be in bluetooth range of your phone to know where they are. The phone records the location when it loses contact, so it has a last-known location, but it doesn't know where they are if they've moved since then. That would not work for your application. They have GPS trackers for dogs that run off cellular, so I am sure there's something you could put in a suitcase, but it will cost you.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use an old Samsonite case, it looks as low key and of low value as possible. It has fiberglass sides and a key lock.

Once, due to a plane change, the Samsonite was left unattended and alone for 1.5 hours in Oakland, CA. Thieves will steal anything there, but left the suitcase alone.

-c1steve

Posts: 4065 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I fly with my gun in a hard case cabled to my suitcase. I got a "tile" for Christmas and will attach it to the gun case the next time I fly.

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
I have been using a similar system for years. I also use a bicycle cable lock to lock the hard case to the suitcase frame

And this is also exactly what I've been doing for several years. Works great. Easy access for you and security, and a thief would have to tear the whole thing apart if they don't have cable cutters on them.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was told to stay away from hard cases as they break when dropped.

Confused What kind of hard case does that?

Posts: 28019 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
I was told to stay away from hard cases as they break when dropped.

Confused What kind of hard case does that?

Didn’t express it very well. I was told that hard sided luggage had a tendency to break or crack when dropped by the baggage handlers.

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Whenever I fly with checked luggage, especially with firearms or something else valuable, I hide the LugLoc in the case somewhere. It has worked very well and has been worth the piece of mind.

https://lugloc.com/

It uses cell tower signals to alert you to the general location, and uses Bluetooth for nearby locating.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post