SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2023 U.S. Census- "American Community Survey"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2023 U.S. Census- "American Community Survey" Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted
...What the hell is this? I got one awhile back, and they keep sending me notices in the mail.

I thought the U.S. Census was every 10 years, last one in 2020. This seems like bullshit to me...

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
is this the one where they want to ask hundreds of additional questions? Like specific questions about your family and income, etc.

Yeah screw that. I got the same request about 2 years ago. They will keep bugging you and finally give up.

When I called the provided number and asked if I had a legal obligation to answer these questions and I never really got a straight answer. But they didn't take any legal action against me for not answering so I guess that's that.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10940 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You don't owe them a damn thing. Toss it in the trash or use it to light your fireplace or wipe your ass with it, whatever.

Posts: 107740 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
is this the one where they want to ask hundreds of additional questions? Like specific questions about your family and income, etc.

Yeah, it is a 48 page booklet with specific questions; type and cost of house, when it was built, what kind of internet service, how many cars, cost of specific bills, health insurance info, address of workplace, income, etc. etc.

It is torn up and in the trash. Their "final notices" are also in the trash.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Although this is legit (in a very narrow sense, i.e., actually put out by the Census Bureau), I don't know of any legal obligation to answer it. I don't remember ever getting one, either. I answer the "regular" census in years ending in zero, but it won't be this one.

Posts: 28007 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Article One of the US Constitution calls for a head count which will be used for determining representation in the House of Representatives. Any changes they've made after that, I do not recognize. They don't need to know age, sex, marital status, whatever, and that is all they get from me: Two people live in my household.

Whatever their reasons for wanting anything other than a head count, I don't care and I'm not playing along with them.

That's what they got when they came to my door after I failed to respond to their mail requests. This gal shows up at my door, holding a clipboard horizontally with her smartphone sitting on it, perhaps a foot and a half from my face. Gee, I wonder if she was recording the conversation. Roll Eyes

"Two people live here." That's what they got from me. Can anyone here find even a single instance of a citizen being fined or charged for refusing to comply with anything more than a simple head count?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Article One of the US Constitution calls for a head count which will be used for determining representation in the House of Representatives. Any changes they've made after that, I do not recognize. They don't need to know age, sex, marital status, whatever, and that is all they get from me: Two people live in my household.

Whatever their reasons for wanting anything other than a head count, I don't care and I'm not playing along with them.

That's what they got when they came to my door after I failed to respond to their mail requests. This gal shows up at my door, holding a clipboard horizontally with her smartphone sitting on it, perhaps a foot and a half from my face. Gee, I wonder if she was recording the conversation. Roll Eyes

"Two people live here." That's what they got from me. Can anyone here find even a single instance of a citizen being fined or charged for refusing to comply with anything more than a simple head count?

Same thing happened to me. First, an individual knocked on the front door and announced why she was there. I was friendly and said, "Oh - okay - there are three individuals living here. Have a nice day."

As I was closing the door she whimpered, "But, I have many more questions for you."

I re-opened the door and told her, "Miss, that is all the information you will get from me - three persons."

She was dumbfounded as she left. Two days later she returned with backup. This time she came a with a dude and he explained that I was required to answer ALL of the questions. I responded, "No, all you are entitled to is the number of residents. Have a nice day."

A week later, three people showed up. The original woman, her backup dude and another dude who appeared to be their supervisor. Before any of them said a word, I announced to them that if they appeared again, I'd file a complaint. They never returned.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10716 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
48 page booklet

I've never heard of even the ACS being that extensive or detailed. Confused

Posts: 28007 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
...a 48 page booklet with specific questions; type and cost of house, when it was built, what kind of internet service, how many cars, cost of specific bills, health insurance info, address of workplace, income, etc. etc.
Decisions by committee. People trying to justify their employment. Why in the world would they want to know all those things?

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
48 page booklet

I've never heard of even the ACS being that extensive or detailed. Confused

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Trash.

Q

Posts: 26494 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:

Same thing happened to me. First, an individual knocked on the front door and announced why she was there. I was friendly and said, "Oh - okay - there are three individuals living here. Have a nice day."

As I was closing the door she whimpered, "But, I have many more questions for you."

I re-opened the door and told her, "Miss, that is all the information you will get from me - three persons."

She was dumbfounded as she left. Two days later she returned with backup. This time she came a with a dude and he explained that I was required to answer ALL of the questions. I responded, "No, all you are entitled to is the number of residents. Have a nice day."

A week later, three people showed up. The original woman, her backup dude and another dude who appeared to be their supervisor. Before any of them said a word, I announced to them that if they appeared again, I'd file a complaint. They never returned.

I would love for that at my door, I missed that day in law school where we were taught you had to answer all of a government agent's question.

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
By failing to give at least the names and ages of everyone in the household you are thwarting the activities of future genealogists attempting to configure your line. It's your right, of course, but I think it's petty.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
By failing to give at least the names and ages of everyone in the household you are thwarting the activities of future genealogists attempting to configure your line. It's your right, of course, but I think it's petty.

flashguy

What's petty?

coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

flashguy

What's petty?

And what's "configuring your line?" Maybe I don't want my "line" configured.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I used to work for the company in DC that distributes the Census Bureau's press releases. Keep in mind, that department is not something they just reopen every 10 yrs. It's a permanent bureaucracy with a Constitutionally-guaranteed budget, and they're always looking for reasons to keep themselves in the news. As a taxpayer, it grates on my brain. They actually put out a press release once on the favorite ice cream flavors of Native American children. Your tax dollars at work.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's petty is this post of yours, and that's being kind about it.

That's downright damn silly.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
quote:
You don't owe them a damn thing. Toss it in the trash or use it to light your fireplace or wipe your ass with it, whatever.

This right here

Posts: 1571 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Does it ask for preferred pronouns?

Oh, not yet?

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, it is a 48 page booklet with specific questions; type and cost of house, when it was built, what kind of internet service, how many cars, cost of specific bills, health insurance info, address of workplace, income, etc. etc.

My guess is that it's to identify all the amenities that the "average" household has, so that the government can decide what the taxpayers will need to provide for all the people who are too repressed to be able to provide for themselves.

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post