New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nics delay Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill.

OP, sorry for the thread drift.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of radinski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
^^Probably true^^

I'm going to guess the OP doesn't have an AL pistol permit. Last I checked, and I live in a neighboring county, they don't run a NICS when you have a permit here. You still have to fill out a 4473, but they are not required to run a NICS as long as you have a valid state issued ID, and carry permit. At least that's how my last purchase happened when I purchased a pistol in the very town he lives in.

Unfortunately that is no longer true for Alabama. Due to at least 2 counties getting caught approving pistol permits for prohibited persons, the FBI suspended indefinitely the ability for our state's FFLs to transfer based simply upon the possession of a state pistol permit. This went into effect late last year...

I missed this. What counties got caught?

Edit.. Hit the wrong button.

Morgan county was one of them. Really pissed me off because the renewal rate went to $100/5yrs. When I asked why I was told it was because they still would do the background check. And then we found out they weren't doing it. That sheriff got voted out but I guess still a no go for NICS. Money grubbers.

Posts: 274 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: January 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I got a possible answer today on the inconsistencies. The states that are using the NICS system directly are still giving the three business days. NICS, while being overloaded, is still being nearly adequately staffed by FBI personnel.

The states that elected to conduct their own checks and not participate in NICS are the ones that are issuing dates way out past the three business days.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I just sold a NIB P365 to a co-worker today (Oregon) and first time gun owner. The approval came through in 30 seconds. He did tell me that he had just renewed his global entry application, so that may have something to do with it.

He has an uncommon name.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5414 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alabama is a FBI direct state. The system crashed today around 4:30. I had two customers delayed yesterday till 4-9-20.

Posts: 550 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Made a purchase here in Texas, yesterday. Right before my FFL took my license, he warned he had been seeing some delays, but worst case things would be approved by Monday. It actually went through quickly........

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post