SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chickens? Am I crazy or just stupid?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chickens? Am I crazy or just stupid? Login/Join 
Picture of djinco
posted
For years, my wife has wanted to get some backyard chickens. I know that it will NOT be saving any money, as we can buy organic soy-free eggs for $5 per dozen.
The main reason is I am just tired of hearing her discuss this.
No, we are not newlyweds, at the end of the month it will be 38 years married, so I guess I can give in on this one.
Is this going to be a giant PITA or will it be ok? Looking at the coops and brooder stuff... yikes it's a money maker for someone, just not me!
Then there's the feed. Non-GMO, Non-Soy, Organic. I bet that stuff is not cheap.

Of course we'll have some very happy coyotes, unless I make the back yard a fortress.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I never thought of chickens as expensive pets.

I grew up having about 20-30. My brothers have around 30,000. Now their chickens are expensive!

I bet one can build a coop for a reasonable price. We built ours back then. I don't remember chicken feed being much of a budget killer, but that was long ago.

How many is she wanting?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
When I was young we had a few chickens. They ate bugs, cracked corn, grain they picked out of the cow shit and anything else they wanted. Probably couldn't do it here now because of the coyotes and the hawks made a comeback. And coons too.

We didn't know about Non-GMO or any of that stuff back then we just had chickens and they laid eggs and we ate them.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check farm auctions for old chicken coops and nesters, buy the rest (feeders and waterers) at Farm & Feet or TSC. You may not need water heaters for winter in NC. My GF just told me she found a 10-hole nester on Amazon for $199 and free shipping if you have Prime.

I built a coop that looked like something out of a Foghorn Leghorn cartoon, and it took a long time since I didn't have any power tools then.

Fencing was the toughest part, since it had to withstand coyotes, so I had to bury the bottom of the fence in the ground. It held for about a year without any attention from me, but didn't keep out all the predators.

Would I do it again? No. Trying to protect them from predators was a losing battle, and it broke my heart to find more of them killed each morning. Chickens can withstand a Midwest winter with temps of -20, so long as they have shelter from the wind, unfrozen water, and feed. Not predators.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9161 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have chickens (about a dozen) as a wife hobby (meaning I'm not really raising them for anything but my wife). They are pretty low maintenance. You need a coop and some sort of an outdoor run. Both can be built for very low cost. You need some feed, water and if your climate is cold some form of heat for water in the winter and potentially the coop. Pretty easy to deal with predators, unless your wife wants free range chickens in which case that's simply another reason to buy another rifle and gear. Depending on type you will get eggs as a benefit. You will learn to clean the coop which is a PIA but not an expense item.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If she has to deal with their manure it may well reduce her enthusiasm for keeping chickens.

Posts: 26908 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
If my wife wanted chickens I’d get them, again.

We had chickens growing up, also a number of years ago. Once you are set up, taking care of 8-12 laying hens isn’t a big deal. Chickens make the most sense usually, if one wants to get some type of fowl or livestock.

Of course many critters want to make a meal out of your chickens, including yours or neighborhood dogs.

You can build a ‘coop’ or buy prefab, they really need protection and in at night. Say you get 10 chickens and something doesn’t jive right, ain’t the end of the world, easy to give away, or eat.

My last were Rhode Island Reds, big brown eggs.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djinco:
For years, my wife has wanted to get some backyard chickens. I know that it will NOT be saving any money, as we can buy organic soy-free eggs for $5 per dozen.
The main reason is I am just tired of hearing her discuss this.
No, we are not newlyweds, at the end of the month it will be 38 years married, so I guess I can give in on this one.
Is this going to be a giant PITA or will it be ok? Looking at the coops and brooder stuff... yikes it's a money maker for someone, just not me!
Then there's the feed. Non-GMO, Non-Soy, Organic. I bet that stuff is not cheap.

Of course we'll have some very happy coyotes, unless I make the back yard a fortress.

You’re probably both. PITA. It looks and sounds cool, but soon the reality sets in.

Raised/kept several hundred in my youth. Time, cost and shoveling manure. Tough for vacations-someone has to feed and water every day.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Shoot, I would love to have some chickens but the wife has a coronary every time I bring it up. We have plenty of places to keep them here on the farm but she is adamant. You just can't beat farm fresh eggs. Frown

My only hope is to get my 5 year old granddaughter hyped on the idea and if she whines enough old grandma just might give in. Right now Orschelin's has chicks and she begs me constantly to take her down there so she can look at them. It might work. Big Grin

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Having chicken is awesome! They are fun to listen to and have around. The main expense is the chickens, coup, and feed. They generally do their own thing.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Keeping chickens is easy.

Keeping chickens in a designer coop and raising them to yuppie vegan/organic/non-GMO/Soy-free/Gluten-free standards is expensive and (IMHO, your mileage may vary) silly.

In either case you can buy eggs at a fraction of the cost of producing your own.

What you can't do is beat the taste and quality of homegrown, pasture fed, fresh eggs. Absolutely no comparison.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Google 'chicken tractor images'.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Do it, I miss not having them. They provide lots of entertainment and fresh eggs are wonderful. You are not getting any younger.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Chickens are probably one of the most low maintenance pets around. Provide some shelter and water and they will roam around and find much of their food. They will need some supplementation if you want healthy/ frequent eggs. A coop that you can move would be ideal, then you can just move the coop every so often and all the chicken crap is fertilizer for your lawn.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
After 26 years of marriage I finally wore my wife down and we got chicks last spring, she wishes we would have gotten them years ago. I built a big coop with attached run and spent way too much building it but that's what I usually do. The birds have been very easy to care for. Food is cheap, I think I spend more on treats than food, mine are a little spoiled.
My 8 girls moved into the cool last July and I haven't cleaned the coop out yet. I decided to try hemp bedding to see if it was as good as I've read and it seems to be. There's a slight odor now if they're closed up all day but I wouldn't say it smells at all. The hemp is expensive but if it lets me go all winter without having to clean the coop it's worth every penny. I'll clean it out spring and fall just for good measure but it won't need to be.

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
The coop can be as crappy cheap or fancy expensive as you want it to be.

In an urban setting or high predator setting you will likely want a run. That keeps them confined to a specific area. Without a run, you can free range them. Typically they will stay within a reasonable distance of the coop. Each flock differs in how adventurous (distance from coop) they are. If you choose to free range the flock, you will eventually lose something to a predator.

They tend to be fairly low maintenance but it is also possible to fret over them and get emotionally tied to them. Decide going into it if you are keeping livestock or pets. Don't be surprised if the original decision changes over time.

Go to where the eggs come from and learn that it isn't all loli pops and bubble gum. Big operations have caged birds that don't move, they produce eggs and are discarded when production dwindles.

So you think, great, I'll buy cage free. Now your chicken is in a pen with eleventy hundred others with maybe a foot of floor space, nor a lot better than the cage setup really.

As for the organic vegan non gmo soy latte frappe well, spend some time around a free range chicken. They eat all sorts of stuff, here's a list that isn't to be considered all inclusive: (in no particular order)
grass
weeds
worms
bugs of all shapes and sizes
mice
lizards
moles
grain/seeds
food scraps

They aren't natural vegans.

In the end, they can be entertaining, calming, frustrating, annoying. You'll get back what you put in.

Two years ago I didn't know anything about chickens. I don't consider myself an expert. I am still learning. Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
I worked part time in a feed store for a while. We sold lots of chicken feed. I can tell you that if you decide you want organic or non GMO feed, it will be expensive. When most people who thought that was the way to go heard the price, they quickly changed their minds.

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I've always kind of wanted to try chickens, and I could do it where I am now. I would be a little worried about predators, though. We are kind of out in the woods.

What is wrong with soy foods?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you buy chicks from a breeder make sure they’ve been vaccinated. They can get some weird diseases and die easy. They are not tough animals. We’ve had a few flocks of chickens for about 10 years they have a caged in run that protects them and birdnetting over that area as we have hawks in our area but in general they have the run of the entire yard. In the summer when I’m on my patio often I pressure wash the crap a few times a week. My patio currently is not attractive as we don’t sit out there in the winter. Wife will pick them and cuddle them. I just want the eggs. The taste of fresh eggs can’t be beat. The dogs want nothing to do with them and they leave each other alone

Posts: 4769 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post