SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Climate Change Oh No - Installed a mini split heat/ac
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Climate Change Oh No - Installed a mini split heat/ac Login/Join 
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted
Solved a 45 year old problem by having a 2 ton mini split heat/ac installed. Our family room is a converted attached 2 car garage. The walls are covered in rough cut cherry and it is a wonderful room except there is no ductwork. One vent for heat/ac for a 600 sq ft room. Also had a 220v mega sized heat/ac window unit that was 45 years old, noisy as hell but worked. The room was either too hot, too cold or too noisy.

This new system is so quiet I don't notice it and it reaches the desired temp quickly. We had a first class installer and the job took 7 hours with them working at an unhurried pace - old friends and this was an easy install compared to most they encounter. Cost was $3500 in full and I didn't shop them or chisel. Looking online this 2 ton unit sold by Ferguson runs about $2500 and truly I hope the installer made more than a thousand. Hard to put too high a price on punctuality, competence and pleasurable company. I'm happy with the results. Smile

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Mini splits, in the right context, are fantastic. And I agree that a good installation is worth the price.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need to trim the great stuff back, as the UV rays will deteriorate it. Then seal the surface with quality silicone or polypropylene (non hardening) sealant.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
quote:
You need to trim the great stuff back, as the UV rays will deteriorate it. Then seal the surface with quality silicone or polypropylene (non hardening) sealant.

I noticed that too, you need to caulk around the drip line where it comes through the also otherwise install looks good. With summer coming you need to get it sealed pretty soon.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Good tips, Thanks Smile - the installer is coming back to flip the cherry wood to cover the hole where the old wall mount unit was and he may have that on a to do list.

I'd never given a mini split any consideration to even know what they are. After having one a couple days I see it is similar concept as a walk-in box cooler. My fruit stand walk-in had the compressor outside and a multi fan condensing unit inside.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put two mini-splits in my workshop a number of years ago......best decision I have made in a long time. Heat or cool, they do the job!!

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post