SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you learn something every day?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you learn something every day? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
One day during college I went to my advisor with a project that had not turned out well. I expected to take a bit of a chewing for it. Instead, he leaned back in his chair, grinned big, and said, "This is how we learn." (Thanks, Dr. D!)

I remember that situation often -- particularly at work, when something goes "not according to plan." We take stock of the effects, make sure there's no serious damage, and make a plan to correct it. No need to get uptight about it all.

Keeping Dr. D's attitude in mind, I figure we learn something every day, whether we intend to or not. Today's lesson is, "don't let the microfiber towels sneak in with the regular towels." Razz

What did YOU learn today?

God bless America.

Posts: 13516 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I learned to make sure my trolling lures are attached to my line before dropping them in the Chesapeake Bay. A $20 mistake.

Posts: 3232 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After answering my wife & she said I did not answer her (she has substantial hearing loss in one ear), I suggested she should make an apppintment with her ear doctor for the postponed operation. I learned she has perfect hearing & it is my fault I do not speak loud enough.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4277 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't learn something everyday. Even when I was taking college classes, if I learned just one thing from a whole course, I was satisfied.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19691 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I try to learn something new everyday.
Even if I'll never use it. Trying to keep the mind sharp.

To answer the OP question....
Today I learned that during WWII, rations went so far as to have an effect on Christmas ornaments. They used paper instead of string when no wire was available. The ornaments were also painted clear glass, as in without the shiny metallic coating.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Everyday I learn there is less and less I know.

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I try to.
Some days I learn a lot.
Some days not so much.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
A day never goes by without me finding out something new.

That is at least 365 new things every year of my life, and I haven't made even the slightest impression on the level of my colossal ignorance.

Posts: 11334 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
Everyday I learn there is less and less I know.

I’m the opposite.

The more I learn, the less I actually know.
I discovered that in graduate school…;-)

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I learn something every day.

Often I learn the same thing again and again. A great example is to keep the gun swinging when shooting skeet. I have lost track of the number of times I learn that lesson.

On a more positive note, I have embarked on a mission to learn Spanish, French, German and Italian using Duolingo. I believe in life long learning.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 720 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My goal is to learn at least one new thing daily. Sometimes it's due to learning from others and sometimes it's due to learning from personal attempts at something resulting in either success or failure.

My preference is learning from other people rather than from my own failures at doing things. Wink

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
To paraphrase Don Imus I believe, you learn something new every day, that's why when you miss a few days, it's hard to catch up.

Posts: 21115 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Last night I learned that I need driveway marker lights. Backing a travel trailer into the driveway at night was somewhat similar to backing it into a black hole with a ditch on either side. Once I put a portable lantern at the corner of the driveway and road I was able to get it done, but marker lights will be installed before our next trip.

Posts: 11363 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find that much of the time, the learning is having the same experiences again and again, with a different perspective.

What I know today, I'll know differently tomorrow.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
I constantly read, thus learning and improving myself...history, art and art history.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
I learned to make sure my trolling lures are attached to my line before dropping them in the Chesapeake Bay. A $20 mistake.

I learned a similar lesson. I bought some new fishing lures and was in a kayak near some brush. I tied on a new lure which was heavier than the one I was just using.

First cast and that lure never touched water. Straight in the brush. I now know to do some practice cast in open water first.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also learned the difference between tenants vs. tenets Wink

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Yes, I learn something every day.

I spend many hours a day reading. Work, forums, news, books, articles etc. There's so much that I don't know, that it's impossible to read for more than a few minutes without learning *something*.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
I also learned the difference between tenants vs. tenets Wink

Tenets are for those who can't fish with just nine.

Tenants are two ants less than a dozen.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post