SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help. Best defense against dogs while walking?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help. Best defense against dogs while walking? Login/Join 
posted
Had an uncomfortable encounter while walking in my neighborhood with my kids this morning. Hoping to solicit some help from the experts on here.

I've had my ccw permit for 20+ years. I've trained in hand-to-hand combat for 12+ years (krav). I'm not an operator, LEO, or expert in anything - just a guy who's into self defense. And then, of course, today a situation arises and I have no answer for it ...

I was walking around my neighborhood (I usually do this every weekend), pulling my twin 2-year-olds in a wagon and my 5 year old son was driving his little electric go kart along side us. As we passed a house a big grey dog darted out to the street and started jumping all over my kids (shape of a lab but beefier? seemed 100+ lbs). I did my best to control it as it jumped back and forth between my son in the go kart and the wagon trying to lick their faces. It wasn't growling, but it was disconcerting to have no control over it. The p365 on my belt didn't seem like a viable solution (seemed like an over-reaction and it was on us incredibly quickly).

The owners eventually came out (man and woman). The woman tackled the dog, then apologized.

The kids stopped crying after a minute and we kept walking. We made it one house down and the dog got loose again. This time I grabbed it and pinned it to the ground until the owners walked over. I made it clear to them how angry I was and the woman apologized again.

I'm not satisfied with my reaction so I'm looking to do better next time and looking for advice. I usually carry a knife but I'm questioning whether that's a good solution either. I'm not a dog owner but I don't have anything against them. I'd hate to hurt a dog that was just excited and playing (and that has stupid owners who don't properly look after it). I'm trying to make sure that a dog that big and that excited can't get close to my kids next time.

I did some searching and it looks like they sell ultrasonic dog dazer things on amazon. Anyone have experience with them or a dog whistle or spray or anything?

Posts: 130 | Location: Detroit | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’d suggest pepper spray but for the risk of getting it on your kids.

Posts: 17134 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I have never had nor anything close to require deadly force.
However, my last dog hated other dogs and I feared for the other dogs getting close when I walked her.
I would always carry a used golf driver shaft to whack any approaching dog.
Last thing in the world I would want to hurt another dog.
Best defense is good awareness to head off any potential problem but I know it is not always possible.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Net gun?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I’d suggest pepper spray but for the risk of getting it on your kids.

It might be the best solution.

Posts: 130 | Location: Detroit | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I have never had nor anything close to require deadly force.
However, my last dog hated other dogs and I feared for the other dogs getting close when I walked her.
I would always carry a used golf driver shaft to whack any approaching dog.
Last thing in the world I would want to hurt another dog.
Best defense is good awareness to head off any potential problem but I know it is not always possible.

Yeah the awareness thing is rough. I've done a ton of drills at the range where they send the target at you and you have to draw and fire (the whole "a person can close 21 feet in 1.5 seconds" thing). Dogs are so damned fast. It was in full sprint. By the time I noticed it, it and it was on top of us.

I like the driver shaft/walking stick idea, but if I start beating on it, am I just going to have a more pissed off, excited dog?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Net gun?

My kids would think I'm spider man. Win-win.

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
+1 for pepper spray. just spraying it in the dog's path is enough.

works wonders.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
The foam spray might be an option. Walking stick is good as well.

When I still had my pit and dogs got out of their yards, a good swift kick to their ribs did the trick. If people kept their dogs in their yard/on a leash, there won't be any problems. I don't give a shit if your fence is broke or whatever, that isn't my problem when your animal gets into the street/sidewalk.

Posts: 13116 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Can you tazer a Dag effectively?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
My father carried a broom handle with a nail in it. He could pick up litter and fend off dangerous animals. He never had an issue sticking one in the snout when we were little out in the park for for a walk.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34118 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We carry dog specific pepper spray by Sabre, called Protector. Fortunately, haven’t had to deploy it. Years ago, my wife was out walking our male GSD with our kids when a pit bull attacked from a house they walked by. Our dog put himself between my wife and kids and the fukkin pit bull. Ultimately, someone came out from the house and got the dog, but our GSD was never the same after that. He became much more aggressive. Shame, he was a great dog until then.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Thing is with spray or other non lethal devices you'll have a very pissed owner on your hands. An ATT guy was working on a box next to the backyard of the house I grew up in. Our dog was on the other side of the fence barking away. This guy was in no danger, but sprayed our dog away. My Mom squared up on this guy with such fury she put him back in his truck.

This method has worked for me every time, but I've never had kids with me at the time, and don't know if I'd try it. I just stop. Stand motionless. The dog always continues to bark and circles, and loses interest.

Now I've had many dogs try to take me off my bike. Every time just a squirt of water is enough to get them to disengage.

Posts: 7527 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
^^
If they were responsible and kept their dog leashed or fenced it wouldn't happen in the first place.

Many years ago I once had a weimaraner run at us full tilt across someone's unfenced yard at dusk. I shined a very bright flashlight in his eyes and sternly shouted at him NO! STOP! He did stop, and the owner came and got him.

She babbled on about 'oh he's a good dog and wouldn't hurt you, blah blah blah.'

I told her in no uncertain terms that if she wasn't irresponsible by leaving her dog off-leash we wouldn't be having this discussion and it better not ever happen again. It didn't.

I was glad it didn't require anymore force than that to get him to stop. I now always carry a walking stick when we go for walks, in addition to a light and ccw. I would have no issue giving a dog a solid whack with the blackthorn stick.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The mother duck flaps her wings and makes a lot of noise to gain the dog’s attention then flies low to the ground and four houses away to protect her ducklings. Worked like a charm on my dog.

Point being, gain the dog’s attention and lead it away from your kids BEFORE it gets to your kids.

While walking to the school bus stop when I was about 10, a neighbor’s German Shepard Dog came tearing down the street after me. My split second decision was there was no point trying to outrun it, so instead, I ran straight at it waving my arms and yelling. It turned with its tail between its legs and ran back to its house. Probably because of that experience, I’m not afraid of dogs.

If I were you, I’d carry a bat or a walking stick. Carry it like you aren’t afraid to use it and the owners will get the message that they need to come up with a new plan of their own as well.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

I have the same question. I had my hands on it so I probably would have been able to tase it. Don’t know what the effect would be. Again, just a more pissed off dog?

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shrugged:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

I have the same question. I had my hands on it so I probably would have been able to tase it. Don’t know what the effect would be. Again, just a more pissed off dog?

Prolly the same effect it has on a human being.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
We carry dog specific pepper spray by Sabre, called Protector. Fortunately, haven’t had to deploy it. Years ago, my wife was out walking our male GSD with our kids when a pit bull attacked from a house they walked by. Our dog put himself between my wife and kids and the fukkin pit bull. Ultimately, someone came out from the house and got the dog, but our GSD was never the same after that. He became much more aggressive. Shame, he was a great dog until then.

Thanks for sharing this. Just placed an order - should get here tomorrow. Sorry for your experience. Amazing that one encounter like that can change a dog forever.

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Tazers work well on dogs. In my career I had occasion to use it several times on aggressive pooches.

In fact, the 'spark test' function was almost as good at deterring them from approaching.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
The mother duck flaps her wings and makes a lot of noise to gain the dog’s attention then flies low to the ground and four houses away to protect her ducklings. Worked like a charm on my dog.

Point being, gain the dog’s attention and lead it away from your kids BEFORE it gets to your kids.

While walking to the school bus stop when I was about 10, a neighbor’s German Shepard Dog came tearing down the street after me. My split second decision was there was no point trying to outrun it, so instead, I ran straight at it waving my arms and yelling. It turned with its tail between its legs and ran back to its house. Probably because of that experience, I’m not afraid of dogs.

If I were you, I’d carry a bat or a walking stick. Carry it like you aren’t afraid to use it and the owners will get the message that they need to come up with a new plan of their own as well.

Great advice. I feel that I was far too passive because the dog was excited but not mean/angry. Need to make sure I don’t make that mistake again. This seems to happen about once per year (the last time it was a different house and the owner just called and the dog stopped around 10 feet away), so I’ll probably get to practice before long …