SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What’s the best way to rid my new house of an old wired security system?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s the best way to rid my new house of an old wired security system? Login/Join 
I got a Million of 'em!
posted
Bought a house over the summer and it had a hardwired security system in it. We’ve updated with a more modern system and we’ve just been ignoring the old system despite the fact that they placed a constantly glowing keypad in our bedroom that illuminates the room at night.

The other day the auxiliary battery fell from its mount at 6:30am and set the whole system off chirping until we discovered the error.

My first inclination is to just cut all the wires away from monitoring panels and the auxiliary panel and fish what we can back through the walls. We’ve already started replacing windows in the house and the installers have already cut those window leads.

I just wanted to know if there’s anything I need to know before I start on my hack and pull path.

It’s a Brinks system and obviously not monitored.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me too (so to speak). Same issue!

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I would just cut the power (unplug? pull from breaker?) and pull the panel, patch the wall, and leave the wiring (as long as no electricity flows thru them, who cares if it is still in the wall,,,,)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10433 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
unless the wires in the walls bother you, simply remove the panels, patch the walls, and leave the wires in the walls.

Peter

Posts: 95 | Location: Chesapeake, VA | Registered: September 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
The only reason I thought about pulling the wires is because they were all gathered in one spot and looked easy enough to pull and recycle. If I met any resistance I would definitely leave them on the wall.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Don't bother taking them out of the wall. Find the transformer for the alarm system. Typically plugged in a regular wall outlet with a 18-2 wire leading to the control panel. The transformers are typically brown/tan/gray and are approx. 4"x3"x3" with two screw terminals on the back. Often times the transformer will be plugged in with a screw going through the top which replaces the plate screw for the outlet and keeps the plug from being accidentally unplugged.

After finding the transformer and removing it, find the alarm control panel and disconnect the battery. After disconnecting both power source the panels should go dark and you are safe to cut any and all wires.

One question, why didn't the new alarm company do this for you as part of you install?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
I can think of no reason to remove wires from wall.

Note where they are and patch the hole in the wall is as far as I would go.

At some point you may be greatful to have hardwire prestrung.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

One question, why didn't the new alarm company do this for you as part of you install?

It’s through our internet and TV, part of a bundle pack and the new security is wireless so I didnt even think that was an option.

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I prefer the wired systems. And I've had both wired and wireless in different homes. Not that this information helps you at all at this point.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10930 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Call your bundle company and ask them what they will charge to remove the panel.

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

It’s through our internet and TV, part of a bundle pack and the new security is wireless so I didnt even think that was an option.

If it's Comcast I wouldn't be too quick to go ripping stuff out. Their home security product doesn't get exactly glowing reviews.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I'd just tuck the old cabling in and leave it in place. Who knows, you might want it again some day.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dbgeek:
unless the wires in the walls bother you, simply remove the panels, patch the walls, and leave the wires in the walls.
^^^This. I did something similar with our home when I changed out the old system. I did however opt to leave the system box in the wall in my laundry room, but gutted it of the security system components and turned it into a large hanging key box.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post