SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Jersey Democrat Sen. Menendez, wife indicted in New York on federal bribery charges/UPDATE: New charges lying to investigators PG 3
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Jersey Democrat Sen. Menendez, wife indicted in New York on federal bribery charges/UPDATE: New charges lying to investigators PG 3 Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:

Saw his wife's picture and she looks perfectly honest to me.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
He beat corruption charges a few years back. Me thinks this DOJ picked an easy target they could get to show they are being even handed and if he goes down no big whoop, NJ will just replace him with another D senator. Simultaneously taking some heat off dementia Joe.

If he goes down they'll walk him over to K Street. Give him a 5 million dollar bonus, and say now you're a lobbyist at twice the pay you were making as a Senator.

Posts: 7659 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
This all seems suspicious to me. A media-focused distraction to something bigger about to break. Somewhere in the Dominican, there are 15-year-old girls hoping he never comes back. Menendez is a pedophile. His cohort Cory Booker is an admitted sexual predator. Perfect together!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: downtownv,

Posts: 8741 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Menendez is accused, among other things, of providing intelligence information to the Egyptians for cash. He is pretty stupid because his activities came to the attention of the FBI as a result of this. The FBI has a mountain of evidence against Menendez. According to news reports, the investigation began some time ago, but given the fact that Menendez beat the rap last time, the FBI wanted to compile a mountain of evidence against him before they arrested him. I do think there is no conspiracy here, but that's just me. This is a straight up corruption case. In this case, good for the FBI for building a solid case and arresting this piece of shit.

Posts: 1073 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/crim...nd-at-menendez-home/

The indictment, brought by the U.S Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, accuses Menendez and his wife of accepting “hundreds of thousands of dollars of bribes” from three New Jersey businessmen – Wael Hana, Jose Uribe, and Fred Daines – “in exchange for his influence and power as a Senator to seek to protect and enrich” them and “benefit the Arab Republic of Egypt.”

On March 31, 2022 – months before the search of his residence – prosecutors say Nadine Menendez gave a Manhattan jeweler “two one-kilogram gold bars to be sold,” which allegedly previously belonged to Daines.

The serial numbers on the bars indicate they were once under Daibes’s ownership, the indictment declares. A day earlier, prosecutors say Daibes and she got lunch with her later texting, “THANK YOU Fred,” with emojis of prayer hands, a heart, and an “X,” an “O.”

Additionally, The couple’s third codefendant, Uribe, is accused of providing a Mercedes Benz worth upwards of $60,000 to the couple in 2019. This was allegedly in exchange for Menedez’s alleged help in interfering in a New Jersey criminal investigation into a Uribe associate.

Nadine Menendez, formerly Nadine Arslanian, was “unemployed” before she and Menendez began dating in February 2018, according to the filing.

Despite the exorbitant amount of cash and gold bars purportedly discovered at their home, Menendez contended Friday that the accusations are baseless, declared he is the victim of a “smear campaign,” and asserted that prosecutors’ “excesses” are clear.

“Those behind this campaign simply cannot accept that a first-generation Latino American from humble beginnings could rise to be a U.S. Senator and serve with honor and distinction,” he added. “Even worse, they see me as an obstacle in the way of their broader political goals.”

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

https://www.reuters.com/world/...secutors-2023-09-22/

U.S. prosecutors on Friday charged powerful Senator Bob Menendez and his wife with taking bribes from three New Jersey businessmen, which could complicate Democrats' efforts to keep their slim majority in the U.S. Senate in next year's elections.

Menendez later stepped down temporarily from his role as chairman of the Senate's Foreign Relations Committee until the case is resolved, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said in a statement, adding that Menendez had a right to due process.

Menendez said he had no plan to resign.

The investigation marks the third time Menendez has been investigated by federal prosecutors, although he has never been convicted.

Federal prosecutors in New Jersey dropped a case in January 2018 in which Menendez was charged with accepting private flights, campaign contributions and other bribes from a wealthy patron in exchange for official favors. A 2017 trial on those charges ended in a jury deadlock. He was also investigated in 2006.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Can we really count on thr fbi to do justice on this ...this time?

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 11003 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Perhaps this may help to explain DOJ's motive?

https://discern.tv/real-reason...menendez-indictment/

"So, the question remains, why is the left looking to cannibalize one of its own? And why now? One possible political motive stands out – if we look at Menendez’s history with the DOJ.

Jack Smith, yes- THAT Jack Smith, indicted Menendez in 2017 on similar corruption and bribery charges and went to trial. After the jury was deadlocked, the DOJ yanked the case in January of 2018 and Menendez went on to handily win re-election in New Jersey.

But let’s go back even further to 2015. Remember Obama’s infamous Iran Nuclear Deal? Menendez was one of four Democrat Senators to vote against it.

Now fast-forward to today, and we find a desperate Biden Administration that just needs a win. And a new deal with Iran is expected to be coming down the pike soon. Except the Democrats’ slim majority in the Senate cannot afford four detractors this time around."

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1750 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
I do admire that this corrupt Dem took gold bars figuring the country would slide into anarchy with Dems in control. He displayed very poor planing in hiding the gold.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1609 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Menendez has been a known corruptocrat for years.
His use now to the Democratic Party is to show how fairness and impartiality of their DOJ so they can blunt the weaponization criticism.

Posts: 6084 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:

Saw his wife's picture and she looks perfectly honest to me.

Is that an Adam's apple I see there? Big Mike might have a new friend.

Posts: 20665 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
And he's adding a new twist to playing the race card. This time it's anti-Hispanic.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1908 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Menendez (D-NJ) recently hired Hunter Biden’s lawyer, Abbe Lowell, to defend himself against federal bribery charges. Menendez served as Chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee until stepping aside as a result of his recent indictment.

Lowell, who represents high-profile individuals engulfed in political scandals, represented Menendez in a prior corruption case in 2015, which ended in mistrial. His former client list includes former Sen. John Edwards, lobbyist Jack Abramoff, Bill Clinton, and Jared Kushner.

The high-powered attorney will defend Menendez against bribery charges for allegedly sharing information with Egypt in exchange for gold bars, cash, and a cushy job for his wife.

Menendez and his wife face three counts: Conspiracy to commit bribery, conspiracy to commit extortion under color of official right, and conspiracy to commit honest services fraud.

did Menendez pay taxes on any of this ?

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Mexico’s President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador:

“These news outlets from the right, conservatives, are not going to say that they found gold bars,” Lopez Obrador said. “The Republican Senator Bob Menendez from Texas , he has always been against us. They are not going to say that. That is not a story.”

https://www.breitbart.com/bord...blican-bob-menendez/

a comment to the article:

"Well he IS correct. The media will never cover Senator Menendez, Republican from Tejas."

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
A search of the couple’s home turned up $100,000 in gold bars and $480,000 in hidden cash, prosecutors said.

You guys don't keep a half-mil and a few gold bars around the house? Razz
The paper takes up some space, but the bars make good door stops.

Or so I'm told.... Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13935 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Menendez said that the $480k in cash he had lying around was just money he would withdraw from his savings account every now and then to stick under his mattress because, you know, he's from Cuba and doesn't trust the bank or some such shit.

Sounds legit. I mean, I do the same thing. Every other paycheck or so I take out $200 in cash and keep in the safe for emergencies. Over 30 years... doing some quick math in my head..., hmmm, well, clearly Menendez was squirreling away a bit more than my measly $200. And the fact that the people accused of bribing him had their fingerprints all over some of the bills don't mean shit. Fingerprints are a myth.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30958 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
he's from Cuba and doesn't trust the bank or some such shit.

Except he's not from Cuba. He's from NYC and his parents left Cuba in 1953...well before Castro came to power.

Like most politicians he's full of shit.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6781 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
The sad thing is that all his legal (and probably plenty of other) bills will be paid by his campaign funds. Even though his charges had nothing to do with his candidacy or campaign, his campaign will cover it all. He won't lose a dime of personal funds or Senate salary over this. Still, I think he's in more trouble here than anyone will be able to fix for him.

Posts: 3707 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Factually, his in deep shit and he knows it.

He hopes, just like last time, that someone on the jury says they like him as their senator and don't want to see him replaced. His best shot is a mistrial.

Posts: 4257 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thug Life

Posts: 109261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
He passively aggressively accuses his accusers of persecuting him based on race. This makes me more suspicious of him.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29919 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post