SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smyrna, Ga city council votes to ban cellphone usage while driving
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smyrna, Ga city council votes to ban cellphone usage while driving Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/loca...le-driving/675431393

It's a start. For those of you who don't know, Smyrna is part of Atlanta, northwest of the city. Home of Glock in the US, among other things.
So, this law affects some Atlanta drivers. I am hoping that the state takes the hint and does what needs to be done. Rarely am I in favor of more laws, but for God's sake, people are just plain stupid. Roll Eyes I am so sick of seeing drivers looking at their stupid phones.

Posts: 107647 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I've got to agree with this. Every time someone almost hits me on the road, it's because they are looking at a phone and their car is wandering around the lanes.

At least make it a primary ticket, rather than a secondary.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12783 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Problem is, how to distinguish among the many things that a cellphone can do.

Example: I do not read, nor send, text while driving. Phone calls are a gray area; in my primary vehicle, Ford Sync lets me talk and listen without looking at the phone. Phone can be in a pocket and I can still accept incoming calls via a button on the steering wheel.

I make frequent use of the maps / GPS app to get me where I'm going in unfamiliar territory. Yeah, I do need to glance at the phone for this, but it's not really any different from the dashboard navigation systems that many (most?) newer vehicles have.

Of course, as a fifty year plus pilot, I have certainly learned to focus on where I'm going while stealing quick glances at instruments, rather than get hung up on what's happening on the instrument panel. Also learned to deal with radio communication even during critical phases of flight while keeping primary focus on flying the airplane. I approach driving with electronic aids the same way: first job is the car, devices need to be pushed to the background.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Problem is, how to distinguish among the many things that a cellphone can do.

Example: I do not read, nor send, text while driving. Phone calls are a gray area; in my primary vehicle, Ford Sync lets me talk and listen without looking at the phone. Phone can be in a pocket and I can still accept incoming calls via a button on the steering wheel.

I make frequent use of the maps / GPS app to get me where I'm going in unfamiliar territory. Yeah, I do need to glance at the phone for this, but it's not really any different from the dashboard navigation systems that many (most?) newer vehicles have.

Of course, as a fifty year plus pilot, I have certainly learned to focus on where I'm going while stealing quick glances at instruments, rather than get hung up on what's happening on the instrument panel. Also learned to deal with radio communication even during critical phases of flight while keeping primary focus on flying the airplane. I approach driving with electronic aids the same way: first job is the car, devices need to be pushed to the background.
+1.

The old "mission cross check time", ie the ability to glance at an instrument for <1 second and glean information, as opposed to making love to your iPhone and Facebook while driving for 10-45 seconds at a time.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The article states that drivers will not be permitted to hold a phone and talk. So hands free is ok.

I like it.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3972 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Secondary infraction does not work. Make it a primary. Here in Alabamer, MGM to be specific, drivers ignore the law as its secondary.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
What about good buddies with microphones in their hands?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, this is just an attempt to regulate behavior. Driving while drunk has been illegal forever, yet how many deaths per year are due to drunk driving?

California has some of the strictest laws against cell phone usage in vehicles, but when I'm in the Lost Colony, I can't count the number of people I see on their phones, talking or texting.

Lawmakers think that by applying a consequence to an action they are going to change behavior. It might, among a very small percentage of people, but by and large, these are useless paper-pushing, ego-driving ("Hey look, Ma. I passed a law!") fly swatter measures.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
Cell phone use while driving, unless using a hands-free device is prohibited in my state but it's a joke. People just openly violate the law and there are so many, meaningful enforcement is nearly impossible. The problem, in my view, is that cell phone use while driving has not become socially unacceptable and therefore, lawmakers, many whom are violators themselves, do not have the "I need to get re-elected" incentive to put any teeth in the law. When enough people get killed by distracted driving and it is looked at and treated like D.U.I., with serious penalties for violations, you will see things begin to change. Given the addiction to cell phones, social media and all things electronic, I'm not counting on seeing that in my lifetime.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in a college town, here 99% of the people you come in contact with have a cell phone imbedded in their hand, doesn’t matter if they are walking, driving, etc. it’s as if they will die if they can’t keep up with the latest social media crap. It’s dangerous just to walk round here.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I don't even like using the phone without my hands free device, driving or not.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29713 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Unfortunately, this is just an attempt to regulate behavior.
No shit Roll Eyes

I'm all for it and so are a lot of other people, and I realize that no matter how this is handled, there will be people who criticize it. Hence, your presence in this thread.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Holding a phone and driving was already illegal in the places I have lived so I just thought it was already illegal everywhere.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Quote: "Unfortunately, this is just an attempt to regulate behavior."

Speed limits, traffic lights, stop signs, warning signs, heck every law on the books is an attempt to regulate behavior.

I learned that in grade school.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We have laws against murder, but people still murder, so what's the point of these laws?

Roll Eyes

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
yet how many deaths per year are due to drunk driving?

DWI related fatalities have been dropping since 2006. You really don't think they will be eliminated. Hands free workswell and almost every vehicle sold since 2010 has it installed as standard.

I think the bigger issue is the now standard video screens in the center with a lot of info from entertainment to navigation. that is little better than texting. Better but still somewhat distracting.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Holding a phone and driving was already illegal in the places I have lived so I just thought it was already illegal everywhere.

Mass has a law against texting while driving, but making calls while driving is only illegal for junior operators.

Posts: 6351 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Cell phone/texting use was being prohibited on a city/county basis since I moved back here. Some places it was OK, but prohibited in the next jurisdiction, then OK for a few towns, then banned in one, etc. Driving from San Antonio to Austin on I-35, ~75 miles, the rule might have changed ~20 times.

According to TXDOT, “In 2017, the Texas Legislature passed a statewide ban on using a wireless communications device for electronic messaging while operating a motor vehicle. Texting, as well as reading or writing email, is prohibited while driving in Texas.

Many local areas have passed stricter ordinances which completely limit any cell phone use while driving, so it is the responsibility of drivers to learn the laws in their local areas.”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As always, it will only work if it is strictly enforced. Sort of a full-time Cellphone Usage Patrol (CUP).

But it seems to fall short for that campaign. First time offender = $150.00 fine. Second time = $300.00 fine. Third time = $450.00 fine. And as things go, fourth time and fifth time and sixth time, etc., increase proportionally.

The Cellphone Usage Patrol (CUP) should pay for itself in the time it takes to make instant coffee.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I just had a friend total his mini van right into the back of a rather expensive Volvo. Going down hill at highway speed, all traffic stopped as happens often on 75 north @ Covington. Ky. He and the other driver were very lucky. My friend was busy on facebook with females.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post