SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Road trip for a friend.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Road trip for a friend. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
The friend I've been looking after is in rehab (again) after 10 days in the hospital with multiple infections and complications from COPD. The rehab place is in Brewer (about 50 miles away) and she'll be there for at least 3 weeks or until she's strong enough to get around on her own.

She needs some clean clothes and her mail so I'll swing by her apartment (20 miles the wrong way) and pick up the bag packed by her housekeeper/personal assistant and run it up to her.

Just touching 70°, wall-to-wall sunshine, and a pleasant breeze. I believe I'll be forced to take the 'Vette. With the top down. Darn...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15539 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Sounds nice, but… 50 miles is a road trip?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16321 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

-Rob

In some locales…

Posts: 3016 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to my world,
I am up to three elderly neighbors now.

I am not taking on any more.

Doctors appts, testing , groceries, misc. Errands.

A fourth just fell a broke her knee . . . . Again at 79 y.o.
I am not offering.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55234 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just touching 70°, wall-to-wall sunshine, and a pleasant breeze. I believe I'll be forced to take the 'Vette. With the top down. Darn...

It's men like you who show the sacrifices that real friends are willing to make for those they care about. You guys are the people that give us all hope sir!

Brave that sunny and 70 weather while being bombarded with fresh air for your friend. Your sacrifice is not going unnoticed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21179 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

It's men like you who show the sacrifices that real friends are willing to make for those they care about. You guys are the people that give us all hope sir!

Brave that sunny and 70 weather while being bombarded with fresh air for your friend. Your sacrifice is not going unnoticed.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Most excellent trip, thanks. And yes, for someone who ventures out to the nearest town big enough to have a McDonalds maybe once a month, 50 miles is a "road trip". Besides, that's just one way, so there!

The shortest (and incidentally most fun...) route from her apartment involved the Black's Woods Road, which I've mentioned before as a favorite motorcycle route. Even got lucky and didn't run into traffic until I was 80% of the way through the funnest part.

Posts: 15539 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's 90 miles.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:

-Rob

For an old geezer Down South, (that's up north to you you people in the other south, and that's anyone except the penguins in Alaska!) - a walk to the mailbox is, a road trip...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44507 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Yeesh,dealing with my mother who's 89 in the same ASL with my M-in law whos 83 partially paralyzed from a stroke and a lady that i've known for 50 years also in the same ASL. Talk about constant daily issues, It never ends.You have got it good...

Posts: 2346 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

For many folks, that's barely a daily commute. Wink

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

For many folks, that's barely a daily commute. Wink

BTDT, and don't miss it a bit!

drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Sir your name just got another entry in the Good Book on the plus side of the ledger....And if weather is co-operating then a good day for a motorcycle ride.. ....................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2095 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Sir a new entry by your name in the Good Book on the plus side of the ledger..... Also sounds like a nice day for a motorcycle ride. ......................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2095 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:

-Rob

My first thought as well. I can drive 50 miles and still be in Jacksonville.

But 50 miles is 50 miles and good on you Paul for stepping up and helping a friend in need. At least you can take the vette, it would be a real hardship if you had to ride the bike.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3908 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a very nice thing to do. Maine is beautiful to drive a convertible in.

Posts: 21418 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I like road trips. Being able to drive 80, 90, and above and that's with keeping the MPG needle in the economy range.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20113 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, and not that it matters, but I no longer have a road-legal motorcycle. I sold the FJ and the Ninja. As age advances and skills decline there comes a time and I just felt it was my time. I had 55+ fun years and you can't ask for more than that.

I DID keep the "project" bike, (1983 Honda CX650) because I know myself well enough to know that sooner or later I'm going to want something to toddle to the convenience store on a Sunday afternoon. It still needs some work and it will most likely be next season before I can hang a tag off it.

posted Hide Post
Road trip with my brother from Pittsburgh to visit my cousin diagnosed with terminal cancer.
17 cousins, all in our 60's and 70's, when we are gone it will be the end of our clan. Our children won't carry on the family reunion tradition.

Posts: 1349 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
PHPaul having grown up in upper NH I can remember those seemingly perfect summer days where I would drop the top on my convertible and enjoy the perfect afternoon sunshine. Helping a friend out in need is just a feather in your cap.
Enjoy!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post