SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a camera for me?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a camera for me? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I’m seeking a new camera for my step-dad’s 75th birthday.

Budget is $300

He is not a techie so “user friendly” is a plus.

Will most often be used for outdoor scenes. Very amateur.

Would like to transfer pics by chip. Is WiFi transfer an option?

Thanks much for any recommendations.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12350 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I'm a Canon guy and just looked into what they offer for you. I've bought Canon Refurbs, a couple of times, no problems. This looks like it might be a good choice, I like the Retro Style:

https://shop.usa.canon.com/sho...silver-refurbished-1

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
For compact point and shoot look at

Canon PowerShot

I have a 8-10 year old model that is still viable even though the hard specs don't compare to today's offerings. That said, I rarely use it because my iPhone 7 takes reasonable quality images and I always have in near by.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Thank guys, I like the idea of Canon...really need to stay under the $300 budget. I'll look at these more after work.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12350 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Consider an iPhone X. I'm amazed at the quality of the photos it turns out. And it doubles as a phone.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Consider an iPhone X. I'm amazed at the quality of the photos it turns out. And it doubles as a phone.

Actually has one. just wants a stand alone camera though.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
For compact point and shoot look at

Canon PowerShot

I have a 8-10 year old model that is still viable even though the hard specs don't compare to today's offerings. That said, I rarely use it because my iPhone 7 takes reasonable quality images and I always have in near by.

I'm a Nikon guy when it comes to my DSLR's but for point and shoots the Canon Powershots have served me well for years!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
If you don’t mind used, this is a steal...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5460002834

For more info...

https://shop.usa.canon.com/sho...-mark-ii-refurbished

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10960 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I’m seeking a new camera for my step-dad’s 75th birthday.

Budget is $300

He is not a techie so “user friendly” is a plus.

Will most often be used for outdoor scenes. Very amateur.

Would like to transfer pics by chip. Is WiFi transfer an option?

Thanks much for any recommendations.

I think I can give you just what you're looking for.

My wife and I have Canon DSLRs and lenses to go with. They're wonderful for shooting wildlife in the yard, or for taking on a day trip to a park or nature preserve. I have a terrific fixed macro lens for mine. But neither of us is particularly interesting in hauling-about 5-6 lbs. of camera and lenses, never mind additional lenses, on a long trip.

So I've been looking for capable digicams.

I think we're going to go with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300, for its having close-to-DSLR performance yet being relatively convenient to pack for trips and carry about all day.

If we hadn't gone with that, we probably would've gone with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50

(I went with the former mainly because I wanted a faster lens in tele.)

They both have electronic viewfinders, which, to me, is one thing that can set a real camera apart from the camera in a phone.

The ZS50 can be had from Amazon for $300.

Costco has the newer ZS60 for $280. I was not impressed with the reviews.

FWIW: I spent a good deal of time researching this over the last three days or so. I'm fairly confident in this recommendation. As confident as I can be without actually having used one, myself, anyway.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have been very pleased with the Cannon sx710 hs
easy to use and easy to load on computer by camera or the chip
The zoom is a killer with 30X power.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
"There is no replacement for displacement." Sensor size matters far more for capturing compelling images than just about any factor--even superlative glass on an expensive lens makes less of an impact than the ability to gather light. A bigger sensor not only allows you to gather more light (improving overall sharpness), but typically also improves dynamic range and more creative control over depth of field.

Of the cameras suggested so far, only the refurbished G9X gives any real image quality advantage over shooting with the iPhone X. The iPhone probably has a sensor between 1/2.3" and 1/2.0" while the G9X has a 1" sensor.

With the iPhone's computational photography abilities, optical image stabilization, and 3D sensors, it's really hard to recommend any of the other small sensor cameras--they're all basically running the same sensor size or smaller, but without the computational horsepower that the iPhone has.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I also have a Cannon sx710 hs wonderful little camera and easy to pack around.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Canon Powershot, with the most optical zoom in an acceptable size.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Aeteocles, those are overly-simplistic, and, in certain respects, entirely inaccurate assertions.

Yes: All else being equal, and for most purposes, bigger sensors are better. But that is not a universal truth. It's more complicated than that.

And to say that, as compared to sensor size, glass doesn't matter is entirely incorrect.

Lastly: iPhones are computationally powerful, all right, but all that computational power can't entirely make up for lack of optical reach.

Go ahead and pitch those assertions on a photography forum. But don your Nomex long johns, first Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Aeteocles, those are overly-simplistic, and, in certain respects, entirely inaccurate assertions.

Yes: All else being equal, and for most purposes, bigger sensors are better. But that is not a universal truth. It's more complicated than that.

And to say that, as compared to sensor size, glass doesn't matter is entirely incorrect.

Lastly: iPhones are computationally powerful, all right, but all that computational power can't entirely make up for lack of optical reach.

Go ahead and pitch those assertions on a photography forum. But don your Nomex long johns, first Wink

Fair assessment. The world is full of complexities, and my simple assertions are bound to be inapplicable at the margins.

In the world of flagship cameras designed with sensor sizes ranging from Micro-Four Thirds, APS-C, full frame and beyond, the sensor size probably means far less than I suggest. When you get into the realm of the best cameras that each manufacturer can produce, trade-offs between sensor size, body size, shooting speed, focus speed, feel less like compromises and more like specialization.

But, in the realm of basic cameras (sub $300 cameras) I still would argue that buying the largest sensor the budget allows is going to help make the most compelling images.

Given the choice between a 1" sensor and something with a 30x optical zoom on a 1/2.3" sensor, I would go with the larger sensor. Even if that glass was perfectly sharp (in reality, not likely the case), at that distance with such a small sensor the images would look flat, uninspiring, and anything but the brightest daylight conditions would cause it to be unsharp from a slow shutter speed or full of noise from a high ISO.

Really sharp glass can't fix a lack of light. (Sorry, this is what I meant by superlative glass--in retrospect, I should have been more clear that really fast glass can make up for a smaller sensor).

So, I guess, I retract my previous statement in part and simply say: at this budget range, and since Ronin1069's dad already has an iPhone X with a superb camera on it that beats out most point and shoots, I would spring for the largest sensor size that I could afford at this budget. The superzoom compact cameras advertise such long reach because they pair their small lenses with even smaller sensors, and shooting at the far end of such cameras usually results in noisy smears of images.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Are we still talking about cameras? LOL

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Are we still talking about cameras? LOL

Yeah, but we're entering the camera geek zone Razz

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
When you get into the realm of the best cameras that each manufacturer can produce, trade-offs between sensor size, body size, shooting speed, focus speed, feel less like compromises and more like specialization.

Don't forget lenses.

When you increase reach (focal length), something has to give. Either the lens must get larger or slower. (Note to non-camera geeks: When we speak of a lens' "speed" we're talking about shutter speed, which is a function of maximum aperture.)

Sometime it is both compromise and specialization. Take the camera I'm considering. Panasonic compromised by going with a small sensor with lower pixel count. This allowed them to keep light gathering up, while increasing focal length and keeping the lens fast.

Compare Sony's RX10 to Panasonic's FZ1000. Both 20mpx 1" sensors. The FZ1000 has double the reach, but had to sacrifice speed to get it w/o making the lens gigantic.

quote:
But, in the realm of basic cameras (sub $300 cameras) I still would argue that buying the largest sensor the budget allows is going to help make the most compelling images.

Not saying they don't exist, but I've yet to have seen a higher-end small P&S that has anything other than a 1/2.3 sensor.

quote:
The superzoom compact cameras advertise such long reach because they pair their small lenses with even smaller sensors, and shooting at the far end of such cameras usually results in noisy smears of images.

Not any more. With advanced image stabilization they're now able to do remarkable things at 200mm, and even 400mm focal lengths, hand-held.

Part of that of course does depend on who's holding the camera, and 70-year-old hands, well... I know my hands aren't as steady as they once were.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
1" sensors have been trickling down to point and shoot cameras since the success of the Sony RX 100 and the Panasonic Lumix L100.

The Fuji X100 line and Ricoh GR lines have squeezed in APS-C sized sensors in very small coat pocket sized bodies, and the Sony RX-1 has a full frame sensor in a similarly sized body.

You can see the trickle down into more affordable point and shoot cameras such as the Canon G9X now having 1" sensors.

My favorite ultra compact shirt pocket sized camera is the Canon S120, and that has a larger 1/1.7" sensor and F2 on the wide end (if I recall).

Things like dash cams and action cams are using 1/2.3" sensors now.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
1" sensors have been trickling down to point and shoot cameras since the success of the Sony RX 100 and the Panasonic Lumix L100.

Yeah, but $550 to $650. More, for the more recent RX100s.

quote:
The Fuji X100 line and Ricoh GR lines have squeezed in APS-C sized sensors in very small coat pocket sized bodies, and the Sony RX-1 has a full frame sensor in a similarly sized body.

$600 to $1300 cameras.

quote:
You can see the trickle down into more affordable point and shoot cameras such as the Canon G9X now having 1" sensors.

$380 to $450. Here, you and I diverge on sensor size vs. zoom. It's only 3x. I've found that far too limiting in a general-purpose "touring" camera.

quote:
My favorite ultra compact shirt pocket sized camera is the Canon S120, and that has a larger 1/1.7" sensor and F2 on the wide end (if I recall).

Appears to be available only used?

Sensor size notwithstanding: The bottom line is image quality, and very good image quality can be had in cameras with 1/2.3 sensors. Certainly as good as any phone and with optical zoom to boot.