SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Negligent discharge, happy ending.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Negligent discharge, happy ending. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
My local Walmarts all have .25 ACP FMJ on their shelves.

Good to know. Does the liquor store where you reside carry a large selection of fortified wine and an ice bucket with Malt Liquor 40s??

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
My local Walmarts all have .25 ACP FMJ on their shelves.

Good to know. Does the liquor store where you reside carry a large selection of fortified wine and an ice bucket with Malt Liquor 40s??

40 oz, 25 ACP, and Thunderbird. Today was a good day....

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:
Dropped it on the floor and it went off. Must be a real antique. An antique in .25 caliber. What are the chances?

Pretty high I guess. I have a WWII era FN baby in .25.

I have a 1914 Mauser in .25 caliber.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
karma's a bitch, mr trigger.

oh, and my walmart carries 25acp.
Smile

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
The .25 ACP and .32 S&W Long are two calibers that enjoyed some reasonable popularity - and for some time. They were, at one time, what I consider 'common calibers'.

And were probably the two most anemic 'common' cartridges, causing the fewest human fatalities, of anything on the ballistics chart.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
The .25 ACP and .32 S&W Long are two calibers that enjoyed some reasonable popularity - and for some time. They were, at one time, what I consider 'common calibers'.

And were probably the two most anemic 'common' cartridges, causing the fewest human fatalities, of anything on the ballistics chart.

According to this, in 2007, the .25 ACP killed four police officers in felony shootings:

https://ucr.fbi.gov/leoka/2013...nition_2004-2013.xls

You'll note that it is in fourth place behind the .38, .45 and 9mm. If you google "FBI charts death by caliber" you get a lot more data that doesn't jibe with your post.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Wow I learned a lot in this thread.

.25 ACP"s are uncommon and they don't make them anymore.

You guys are as bad as he newspapers.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

According to this, in 2007, the .25 ACP killed four police officers in felony shootings:

https://ucr.fbi.gov/leoka/2013...nition_2004-2013.xls

You'll note that it is in fourth place behind the .38, .45 and 9mm. If you google "FBI charts death by caliber" you get a lot more data that doesn't jibe with your post.

You had to go back 10 years in desperation? You don't work for any large media outlet, do you?

If 6 out of ten criminals in a city are carrying .25 ACP Ravens, and 10 officers get shot that year, about 60% of the officers shot are likely to be shot with a .25 ACP. Your headline would be, ".25 ACP is the Choice of Cop Shooters Citywide!"

If one officer dies as a result of being shot - using your logic, you're scrambling for a headline: "100% of officers killed in Ravensburg are killed with .25 ACPs!"

Followed by: ".25 ACPs are the Deadliest Caliber in Police Shootings".

There's your logic and rebuttal right there in a nutshell.

The ballistics on those two cartridges are anemic. They do fail to cause fatalities far more than other calibers with better ballistics. Which would be pretty much every other caliber on the ballistics chart.

Those are the facts.

I speak jibe.

Disclaimer - I have never owned a .25 ACP because of what I have stated here. The caliber does not offer sufficient characteristics for me to defend my life with when other choices are available. I did own an early, like NIB S&W in .32 S&W Long because A) It looked like it just came out of the factory. B) The guy selling it offered it to me for $125. C) I knew I could not lose money on it's sale. I never fired it, but did sell it about a year later for $250. It had sat in the safe the entire time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jager,

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

The ballistics on those two cartridges are anemic.

Not at 3 to 5 feet which is the range these tiny pocket pistols are fired at. I'd bet you a million dollars you wouldn't think a .25 ACP round was "anemic" if you took one at that range, point blank.

Posts: 33816 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is this the oxymoron thread ? Frown

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

The ballistics on those two cartridges are anemic.

Not at 3 to 5 feet which is the range these tiny pocket pistols are fired at. I'd bet you a million dollars you wouldn't think a .25 ACP round was "anemic" if you took one at that range, point blank.

The typical argument from the single-wide. The use of "point blank" was the tip off. It doesn't mean what you think it means.

Doesn't change the ballistics of the cartridge or anything I have stated.

I will rebut it by positing you bring your .25 ACP to a conflagration opposite an equally competent fellow - and they'll bring their 45 ACP. Stand apart at 10 feet. Someone can yell "draw".

The discussion of "anemic" can follow while reviewing the video.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I've got a .25. Carried it a lot in my pocket years ago. I can hit a torso sized target at 6 feet with it! Usually.

Co-workers buddy took 5 shots from one in the chest one night during a bar fight and lived to fight another day.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:
Dropped it on the floor and it went off. Must be a real antique. An antique in .25 caliber. What are the chances?

Pretty high I guess. I have a WWII era FN baby in .25.

Have a 1914 Mousar in .25 caliber. So old guns are around.

As this is self reporting, there are other possibilities. Mostly sticking your booger hook in the bang switch. How about he reached for some Inc, the gun slipped, and he tried to catch it?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I have arrested many a bad guy with less common calibers. too many to name but i was always more impressed that the gun fired. Between the rust, lack of lube and general condition of the weapons I have found on bad guys I'm always surprised anyone would even consider carry them for protection. I am also surprised how many bad guys are carrying unloaded firearms or guns with a magazine and only a single round.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Same pot metal .25 Saturday Night special. I had one, sold it to a guy

Knew a guy while I was in the army who supplemented his income by buying those cheap shit guns at the rod and gun clubs and then reselling them to other guys in the unit. Usually about a 100% mark up.

I made a few bucks buying reconditioned police special revolvers at the rod and gun club and selling them to officers. Usually about 25 bucks per piece.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Another thing missing in the FBI statistics will be how many people were shot with what caliber and what percentage of those died versus how many that didn't.

...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
The article reeks of too much bullshit.

• .25 caliber. Yeah, they exist. But they're NOT common. Chances are good that it was some other caliber. Next time you're in your local WalMart or your LGS, look for .25 caliber ammo. They won't have it.

• Dropped it on the floor and it went off. Must be a real antique. An antique in .25 caliber. What are the chances?

• Fell from his waistband. No holster. Yeah, maybe he habitually does "Mexican carry" -- he is a felon in possession of a firearm so he is objectively stupid. Yeah, I guess that there are people who are that stupid. But I don't personally know any who are so stupid that they'd prefer Mexican carry over a cheap IWB holster -- even an Uncle Mike's would be preferable to Mexican carry.

Maybe it was a .25 caliber. Maybe it did fall out of his pants while he was doing "Mexican carry". Maybe it's an old antique and it did go off.

But it's more likely that it's a more common caliber modern pistol with all the drop safety features that have been common for about a century. I'd bet that what happened is that he dropped it then, embarrassed and in a hurry, he put his finger inside the trigger guard and pulled the trigger as he picked it up.

The reporters never get this stuff right.

• Go to the ghetto you can find .25 auto ammo in the gun shops...next to the liquor store. I went to one shop where they had several flavor of Bryco, a jennings, a highpoint and a Mossberg maverick with pistol grip on consignment. That was it.

Walmart is not the only place to get ammo.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post