SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Okay, I found one thing I didn’t learn well enough watching Daddy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Okay, I found one thing I didn’t learn well enough watching Daddy Login/Join 
posted
Shooting, fishing, house and car maintenance, check! Splurged yesterday at a seafood truck that comes through here every once in a while that has very nice shrimp and fish. I have had the bug for a while now to buy and cook a good-sized whole red snapper. I haven’t had a really nice piece of fish for years. Anyway, brought my very expensive three pound baby home and hadn’t noticed they were just gutted. Not pan-ready. Y’all would have been amused watching me attack fins with poultry shears and there were scales everywhere. Never scaled a fish before. I guess I didn’t watch the fish cleaning lessons too closely.

Posts: 449 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
YouTube is your friend!

Still sounds tasty. Almost nobody else in the house will eat fish, so I rarely get a chance. Frown

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17575 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Nice! I love red snapper.

1) In Japan as sushi / sashimi
2) Steamed with ginger, scallion and sweet sake/soy sauce and then very hot oil drizzled (sizzle) on top.
3) Coated and deep fried w/ garlic chili sauce poured over.

One of my favorite fishes for the above methods - but I rarely eat it.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13069 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Nice, I hope it turned out just like you hoped. I am sure you did well Smile

We just had a Dungeness crab for dinner. Two more cleaned and all the meat removed and frozen for later. It was delicious.

Let us know how it turned out.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
My local HEB grocery store has recently started carrying whole fish. They never did before. I went today just for tilapia fillets, but they had whole red snapper, striped bass, catfish, and tilapia. I have only cooked a whole fish once, but want to do it again. At least they descale and gut it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8735 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Red Snapper? Scales everywhere?
Yeah, that's about regular.

(Pro-tip: do it outside, close to a hose, makes clean-up easier Wink )

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8506 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Not sure about your red snapper. But is filleting it and just fillet the skin off not having to deal with the scales or skin at all? That is how I would do it.

posted Hide Post
It was really good. Just plain, salt, pepper, butter and lemon, roasted in the oven. Next time I’ll get brave enough to grill it.

Posts: 449 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Nice Smile

posted Hide Post
just cook it scales on. "on the 1/2 shell"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6290 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
just cook it scales on. "on the 1/2 shell"

I think I’d do that, too- I have, actually. I’m not sure I know how to descale. I just cut it from the inside away from the scales, but I’m more regional here with walleye, etc., so my dad would be my go to on Snapper. I’ve eaten it but never prepped it straight from the water. Either way, it sounds like you ended up with a great meal!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5490 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
and there were scales everywhere.

That's usually par for the course, much like plucking feathers from a goose. Big Grin

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2107 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post