SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bird Folks - Crows and cookies?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bird Folks - Crows and cookies? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Last time we went shopping, Mrs. PH bought cookies - sugar wafers and Oreo Vanilla Thins - having forgotten the tremendous amount of heartburn they give both of us. I knew better, but she had to eat a handful before remembering that it was a bad idea.

So anyway, rather than just throw them away, she tossed a few into the tray of mixed seeds we set out for the birds every morning.

The local murder of crows will usually make a mess of things while picking out a few black oil sunflower seeds, but they went absolutely apeshit over the cookies, filling and all!

I've always assumed birds didn't care for sweets and suspected it might even be bad for them.

Input?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15284 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Crows eat rotting corpses of animls that have been laying on the highways for a few weeks... a few cookies are probably ok.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10501 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They'll love 'em.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34158 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
If my dog comes to your feeder, please send him home, after the cookies are gone, of course.

Posts: 6524 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
You screwed the pooch on that one. You'll have crows raping your bird feeder every morning looking for cookies. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Crows are true scavengers and will take any opportunity at a easy meal or drink. I was out having a few beers on the deck one evening. I left one bottle on the deck that probably had a half inch of beer in the bottom. Got up in the morning having my coffee on the couch looking out the patio door.

After a few minutes a crow landed on the deck and started inspecting the bottle I left. It was a clear bottle so he could see the beer in the bottom. He did a couple walk arounds the bottle. Stuck his beak into the neck a few times. He clearly was interested in what was in it. He finally tipped the bottle over but still couldn't his beak in far enough to reach the beer. He actually stepped on the bottle neck forcing it down on the deck which gave him another half inch of tilt which allowed him to get his reward.

Next couple times we'd be out on the deck having beers he would show up and sit in a tree and watch us for awhile. I figured it wasn't a good idea for him to form a habit so I never left a bottle on the deck after that.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8540 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Cool story, lastmanstanding Smile

Crows are very intelligent.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't the cookies be similar to feeding them bread in the winter (which I always understood to be a bad thing) ?
Not enough calories to burn and then they freeze at night.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16542 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where I lived in Ohio, My Ex had decided we needed to support the local stray cat population. This required me to put out a bowl of hard cat food on my deck every day. A Crow discovered this was going on and would often fly down and land a short distance from me on my patio table. He would wait patiently while I poured the food and then he would hop down and dine. I figured the cats would object to this. Nope. They gave him a wide berth and he showed no interest at all in them. I read up on Crows and learned that they are considered highly intelligent, and people have trained them to do tricks and kept them as pets.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16145 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Wouldn't the cookies be similar to feeding them bread in the winter (which I always understood to be a bad thing) ?

Cookies have sugar in them and sugar=calories and energy.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:

Cookies have sugar in them and sugar=calories and energy.

Jim
Both Bread and cookies are just carbohydrates that would not supply adequate calories in the winter cold.
Protein and fats are needed.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16542 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28025 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38736 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Crows are highly intelligent. I remember when I went snowmobiling in Yellowstone National Park back in the 90’s the ranger warned me to secure my packs well. He said the crows there had figured out how to unzip backpacks and unbuckle saddle bags to steal food inside. Each time I stopped somewhere and walked away, I would come back to crows checking out the snowmobile.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8686 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I would have left him a glass with enough beer to get him good and drunk. Could be entertaining.

quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Crows are true scavengers and will take any opportunity at a easy meal or drink. I was out having a few beers on the deck one evening. I left one bottle on the deck that probably had a half inch of beer in the bottom. Got up in the morning having my coffee on the couch looking out the patio door.

After a few minutes a crow landed on the deck and started inspecting the bottle I left. It was a clear bottle so he could see the beer in the bottom. He did a couple walk arounds the bottle. Stuck his beak into the neck a few times. He clearly was interested in what was in it. He finally tipped the bottle over but still couldn't his beak in far enough to reach the beer. He actually stepped on the bottle neck forcing it down on the deck which gave him another half inch of tilt which allowed him to get his reward.

Next couple times we'd be out on the deck having beers he would show up and sit in a tree and watch us for awhile. I figured it wasn't a good idea for him to form a habit so I never left a bottle on the deck after that.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Crows eat rotting corpses of animls that have been laying on the highways for a few weeks... a few cookies are probably ok.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15916 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Crows visit my patio several times a week to get a drink of water or eat the bird seed. They are welcome guests. I spread store brand peanuts butter on a hanging log for the smaller birds. The crows haven't found that yet.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I bet they love the fat and sugar in the cookies. Those are rich sources of calories.

It is fun to have crows around.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Got a lot of crows around here they always crack me up when they are prying flattened squirrels off the pavement. Ones around here will eat slugs and sometimes dog poop. I think cookies should not hurt them given what I've seen them eat.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Breakfast at sigfreund’s. They seem to like peanuts in the winter.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47422 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post