SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone involved with therapy dogs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone involved with therapy dogs? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
My gf is a mental health therapist and works with children and families that have had trauma. After years of dealing with DCS she wants to start her own private practice. One of the things she wants to use is a therapy dog. We have looked at Aussie Shepard’s and some companies that do the training but we would like some input from those that have been involved with the process.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3694 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on what population she is going to work with. 1st responder and veterans groups will help.

Posts: 373 | Registered: September 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I have worked with Canine Companions for Independence for several years.

I'm not sure what the process is for being a recipient of a service dog. But I have adopted two dogs one who retired (#1 my Best Boy Hogan) and another who flunked out of training (#2 my goofy boy Barkley).

Hogan was permitted to continue "working" in a limited capacity at a preschool where the children read to him.

Having a therapy dog would be a tremendous blessing. If you have a choice, I would recommend a non-shedding dog.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
my buddy uses one as a social worker for both children and adults. He is part of the community here with therapy dogs so has sponsored quite a few until they are of age. He has only seen labs this far.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have had a business relationship with a kennel that produces a lot of service dogs (UK Labrador retrievers). We collaborated to produce two litters of beautiful, tractable, and calm dogs.

Breeding for temperament, behavior, and steadiness is important. No matter what breed you choose, every breed has a wide range of characteristics and many are not suitable for service. Then there is longevity to consider. Rescues are great for many reasons but without knowing the line you are taking a chance on a dog that will not have a long service life.

An option is to find a trainer of service dogs that provide physical assistance. Sometimes they will have dogs that fail the physical assistance part but would be great therapy dogs.

If you would send me an email (in profile) I can send you contact information for some very knowledgeable folks who can steer you in the right direction. Good luck with this, I have seen therapy dogs make a huge difference in people's lives.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
My service dog organization trains therapy dogs on the side and also incorporates therapy work as part of the training for all of our service dogs.

What kind of info are you seeking?

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SiL got her mutt trained and certified as a therapy dog. She takes her to events here and there and to the school where she works for finals week.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
How do you find a dog? Is there places that do training and how do you find a good one? How does it impact the other dog in the house?

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3694 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I have friends who are very involved with GO TEAM dogs. They actually get "deployed" throughout the US and other countries.

My friends dog was "deployed" at the Synagogue Shooting in Pittsburgh, PA. And had a pretty extensive 3 month long training for airline travel. They also own a Great Dane Service Dog, who is unbelievable.

Although her dog is not an Aussie, I know they use them, as I've seen them at their house.

Feel free to PM me for details, or check out their website.

http://www.goteamdogs.org/

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys for all the help.

YAT-YAS

posted Hide Post
I think this guy is looking for work.
https://youtu.be/ND63UPelkIw

Posts: 1041 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
There is an unanswered questioned among some who work with therapy dog dogs regularly, do they burn out? Therapist who have used their dogs in their work (trained as therapy dogs) started snapping/biting people. Be aware of the animals comfort level in all interactions

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post